• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    Found a large quantity of Lake City 5.56 2010 brass with an extremely odd, 4-point crimp. I have a bunch of Lake City 10 with a normal military crimp, which is why this stuff caught my eye. Anybody know why they used a different crimp on different lots? It's not machine gun ammo, which was my first thought. It came from either frangible or long range match ammo, just don't know why they crimped it differently.

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
      photo (1).JPG
      46.7 KB · Views: 321

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Can't say why it's crimped that way, I got a fair amount of it as well, struck me as odd also.

Reloads just fine though.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Found a large quantity of Lake City 5.56 2010 brass with an extremely odd, 4-point crimp. I have a bunch of Lake City 10 with a normal military crimp, which is why this stuff caught my eye. Anybody know why they used a different crimp on different lots? It's not machine gun ammo, which was my first thought. It came from either frangible or long range match ammo, just don't know why they crimped it differently.

You do know that the Marines are using 77gr match ammo in their select fire rifles, right? That's why there's a crimp on the primer pocket.

fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    The round crimp has been on the Mk 262 Mod 0 and Mod 1 since inception (before it was approved for combat use as "open tip match" rather than "hollow point")...so did they switch to a 4-point crimp for economy, and is it permanent (I'd guess not, as I've seen LC11 with a round crimp), or was this just for some lots of LC10? (and was this made in the ATK plant in Missouri, or somewhere else?) Thanks.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The round crimp has been on the Mk 262 Mod 0 and Mod 1 since inception (before it was approved for combat use as "open tip match" rather than "hollow point")...so did they switch to a 4-point crimp for economy, and is it permanent (I'd guess not, as I've seen LC11 with a round crimp), or was this just for some lots of LC10? (and was this made in the ATK plant in Missouri, or somewhere else?) Thanks.

I just bought a case of LC stamped '11 and it's a round crimp.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    From me:
    To whom it may concern,
    I recently noticed inspecting some bulk Lake City stamped ammunition the primer pocket had a four point crimp as opposed to the round crimp that i have seen in the past. I was curious, Is this due to a change in the manufacturing process (new machine?), or is this ammunition made to a different specification?

Any information you could provide would be helpful.

From ATK

Good afternoon sir;

As to your question on the crimp; we are currently using this newly configured crimp; as well as the older “circular” crimp. Both will continue in production for the foreseeable future. Both satisfy the functional requirements, and there should be no difference in performance of the cases.

Best regards,

C. E. Knight

Program Manager

Commercial Sales

ATK -SCS-LCAAP

816-796-7214

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member