Off duty carry. Compacts and sub compacts.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which of these for off duty carry?

• Glock 26/33

Votes: 38 33.6%
    • S&W Shield

Votes: 22 19.5%
    • G19/32

Votes: 28 24.8%
    • S&W M&P 9mm compact

Votes: 25 22.1%

• Total voters

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Eh, I think it didn't come through too clear. Of course iwb/holster I'd carry hot. I don't even think I mentioned IWB at all?
    I have a tired hip. I hate iwb actually. I carry 8-15 hours a day. Those who carry every day for years understand.
    Fyi, I could carry a pistol not hot and be fine.
    I throw pistols in pockets, bags, fanny packs,etc... that's what this pistol will do. So, a G26/27/33 will not be in a holster but thrown around, so it won't be hot. The trigger guard will not be covered. You can understand why. The most it may see is a suede holster with metal clip.
    I may throw the shield around hot, depending on how robust that manual safety is, but I've yet to play with one.

I'm sorry if I disappointed anyone with my lack of enthusiasm for carrying in condition yellow morning, noon and night :-)

LOL, no disappointment. Pocket carry, yeah maybe not. The Saf-T-Block might work for that but I have not personally tried it.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Blaster,
    I think you'll like the Shield.

It is THIN compared to the G26/G19!!!!

The manual safety is 'stiff enough' that it takes an intended movement to engage/disengage.

The pistol has the same basic safeties as the Glock, except for the addition of the manual (thumb) safety.

As for accuracy....... my .40 Shield will put the magazine full into a group that can be covered by my fist, at 15 yards - 'semi-rapid fire'. (That fist is about the size of a human heart.)
    The ammo that I carry is Federal HST, in both the .40 (165 gr) and the 9mm (124 gr. +P).

I do wonder if S&W briefly carrying the Walther product line, doing some of the manufacturing for the US market, influenced development of the Shield, which has a form factor similar to the PPS (which, other than going slimmer, ripped off Glock features back when it came out). The ability to quickly get on target and accurately shoot a fist size target at 10-15 yards is what many also report with the PPS, and similar ergos as well as a crisp trigger, which both the Shield and PPS supposedly have, are likely key factors in this performance. In fact, this thread made me investigate PPS pricing (I like Walthers), and they still run in the low $500 range, suggesting the Shield provides more bang for the buck.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

ianmcall

Sep 21, 2011
    Damascus, MD
    I LOVE my shield. To me it is the only choice out of the ones you listed. With a good IWB holster you can wearing anything. No need for a whole new wardrobe with long loose shirts. In the supper I could get away with fitted t shirts and board shorts. To my the shield is slimmer then all the others you listed and that's what matters.

It certainly is not a range gun. The recoil is a little much but very manageable. After 10mags my wrist is hurting.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I've fired all the Glocks. None of the Smiths. Honestly, the more I think about it, I think it's going to come down to size and nothing else.. After all these years carrying, my hip is really getting tired and worn out. I wish they authorized revolvers and I would just throw my LCR in my pocket and call it a day.
    I think the only thing turning me off to the shield is the manual safety. And if I went with a baby Glock, I probably won't carry it hot.
    I do like reading all the opinions and suggestions. I think I'm just tired of carrying and being in condition yellow all the time.

"And if I went with a baby Glock, I probably won't carry it hot."

Why?

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    As I mentioned early in the post, I carried a 26 for years but looked for a slimmer profile. I went on a 4500 mile m/c trip last year and started carrying a Kahr 9. The Kahr 9 is a high quality weapon and accurate shooter. It is the same size as a 26, but slimmer since it is a single stack Also lighter. The only drawbacks are a longer and heavier trigger pull.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Why would you NOT carry the Glock hot? That is a big part of the flexibility of the Glock, to SAFELY be able to carry it with one in the chamber.?

Gundahar

Sep 4, 2011
    If I was to carry in a bag as described above--the gun being "thrown around"-- I'd be nervous carrying hot too.

Now that leads to another question of if the gun is being thrown around that much (or at all really), is that really the best way to carry? Seems to me that some form of pocket holster/specific bag pocket would be a safer option no matter what. Not to mention that in case of a crisis you don't have to root through a bag to find something which has shifted around.

So yeah, hot carry is better. But secure carry is more important imo. And once you have secure carry, there is no reason not to hot carry.

Gundahar

Off body carry is a decent option if done right imo, but it does have a lot of issues related to it that on the body carry does not. Were I not in MD, summer months would likely see me carry in a small bag, in a secure pocket (where the gun was held securely), AND I would clip on the Zac. So yeah, it would be hot, but also be accessible and safe.

tdant

Jul 31, 2012
    If you can carry the glock 19 go for it. It is a big size difference between a shield. The shield feels very nice in hand compared to any of the glocks. Go for the shield if you can't manage the size of a glock 19. I own all three and carry them appendix position at different times. The 19 does poke me in the Johnson when I sit . I used a raven vanguard 2 to allow me to carry the glocks more comfortably.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    If I was to carry in a bag as described above--the gun being "thrown around"-- I'd be nervous carrying hot too.

Now that leads to another question of if the gun is being thrown around that much (or at all really), is that really the best way to carry? Seems to me that some form of pocket holster/specific bag pocket would be a safer option no matter what. Not to mention that in case of a crisis you don't have to root through a bag to find something which has shifted around.

So yeah, hot carry is better. But secure carry is more important imo. And once you have secure carry, there is no reason not to hot carry.

Gundahar

Off body carry is a decent option if done right imo, but it does have a lot of issues related to it that on the body carry does not. Were I not in MD, summer months would likely see me carry in a small bag, in a secure pocket (where the gun was held securely), AND I would clip on the Zac. So yeah, it would be hot, but also be accessible and safe.

I pocket carry. When in the car, the pocket holster conveniently fits between the seat and the center console. That might be a good example of off body carry.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i skipped ahead so apologize if you already picked your choice...

i started with glock 33 and did a few idpa matches with it to try it out under a little pressure. i just couldn't work the controls effectively, too small. swapped that out for a glock 32 which is awesome, just a perfect carry size. frankly, everyone (incl me) has the pearce extensions on their subcompacts so why not just go compact (g 19, 23, 32).

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I pulled the trigger on a 9mm Shield yesterday.... 12.13 :)

Again to respond to the " Why not carry a Glock hot"?
    Glocks should be carried hot, in a holster, under a proper application.

I carry 5 days a week, aside from special scenarios, on my hip. I have for almost 20 years. It's tiring. condition yellow. Those who have been doing the same, know. The purpose for an off duty is to be just that, off duty. To relax a little. A break is nice, most won't understand this.
    I am sitting in Starbucks as I type this out. My heavy P229, in a holster, inside my small back pack. It is hot and in a holster. I am "lugging" it around. But at least it is with me.

The purpose of me getting a smaller pistol is to have it in my pocket, at least to have "something". Unfortunately my agency doesn't authorize revolvers, otherwise I would be toting my holster-less LCR in my pocket.
    I feel uneasy lobbing a holster-less hot Glock around in a bag or pocket for the obvious reason. Again, tired of wearing a holster 5-7 days a week.

The shield has the manual safety which is fairly robust and I feel will not "disengage" if in my coat pocket or in an uncluttered, dedicated pocket inside one of my back packs or computer bag. The 8 round extended mag feels GREAT too. Much better than an Glock and much thinner. I understand all the hype about these pistols now, being a truly, well thought out concealed carry pistol.

I love all the input from everyone! Love this forum!

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I love all the input from everyone! Love this forum!

So unlike your Dirty Harry/Eastwoodish tag line. ;-)

Glad you're enjoying the Shield.

I made the brilliant move of ordering a hard to find Walther P99 C AS (9mm), a scaled down and semi compact P99. Why brilliant? Because despite being out at least 6 years and on the roster of the People's Republic of Massachusetts, it ain't on the MD roster. D'oh. Should have checked. Might be a while until I see that baby. Sticking to a very comfortable but somewhat anemic Sig P238 until then (for the rare times I can carry).

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Blaster - when you get it, might want to try a few diff't weights of rounds out. A few weeks ago I was shooting with Rouchna and his new to him 9mm Shield, the 115gr rounds kept COM, but I suspect the twist rate may favor heavier rounds.

Of course, YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom