Off duty carry. Compacts and sub compacts.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which of these for off duty carry?

• Glock 26/33

Votes: 38 33.6%
    • S&W Shield

Votes: 22 19.5%
    • G19/32

Votes: 28 24.8%
    • S&W M&P 9mm compact

Votes: 25 22.1%

• Total voters

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Glad you found one you like Blaster. I almost bought a shield a while back and may revisit the idea in the future. I did end up getting a KAHR 9mm and while I didn't initially think I would favor it, I've grown rather fond of it and carry it about 90% of the time. Knock on wood, so far I've had zero problems, issues, or failures running several hundred rounds of everything from re-loads to Critical Duty.

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    I pulled the trigger on a 9mm Shield yesterday.... 12.13 :)

Again to respond to the " Why not carry a Glock hot"?
    Glocks should be carried hot, in a holster, under a proper application.

I carry 5 days a week, aside from special scenarios, on my hip. I have for almost 20 years. It's tiring. condition yellow. Those who have been doing the same, know. The purpose for an off duty is to be just that, off duty. To relax a little. A break is nice, most won't understand this.
    I am sitting in Starbucks as I type this out. My heavy P229, in a holster, inside my small back pack. It is hot and in a holster. I am "lugging" it around. But at least it is with me.

The purpose of me getting a smaller pistol is to have it in my pocket, at least to have "something". Unfortunately my agency doesn't authorize revolvers, otherwise I would be toting my holster-less LCR in my pocket.
    I feel uneasy lobbing a holster-less hot Glock around in a bag or pocket for the obvious reason. Again, tired of wearing a holster 5-7 days a week.

The shield has the manual safety which is fairly robust and I feel will not "disengage" if in my coat pocket or in an uncluttered, dedicated pocket inside one of my back packs or computer bag. The 8 round extended mag feels GREAT too. Much better than an Glock and much thinner. I understand all the hype about these pistols now, being a truly, well thought out concealed carry pistol.

I love all the input from everyone! Love this forum!

Good decision.

You know me, I am bias to Sig Sauer and even your P229 is to me a great carry pistol, and have an assortment of sigs, however I love carrying my M&P9 (non-compact) because it is not as bulky and very versatile. Although not a sig :D you made a good choice!

ianmcall

Sep 21, 2011
    Damascus, MD
    when you start looking for holsters keep PHLster in mind. They do great work. It's great for any IWB. Depending on when I'm wearing I use it for appendix and 4 o'clock carry.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387061986.269916.jpg

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    For the take care of biz round, I'm going to be feeding it 115 gold dots. I'm pretty sure that's what I'll be issued for it.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    when you start looking for holsters keep PHLster in mind. They do great work. It's great for any IWB. Depending on when I'm wearing I use it for appendix and 4 o'clock carry.

View attachment 104690

. Thanks for the suggestion but kydex iwb and I do not get along :)
    Iwb for me with this will be a simple suede with metal clip holster from bianchi.
    And I'm thinking a Galco Avenger belt holster. If it even makes it to my hip.
    This is going to be my " gun to carry when I don't feel like carrying a gun" gun. :)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Good decision.

You know me, I am bias to Sig Sauer and even your P229 is to me a great carry pistol, and have an assortment of sigs, however I love carrying my M&P9 (non-compact) because it is not as bulky and very versatile. Although not a sig :D you made a good choice!

Thanks brother. The slim grip on this thing with the extended mag fits perfect. Cannot wait to pick her up next week.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Blaster - when you get it, might want to try a few diff't weights of rounds out. A few weeks ago I was shooting with Rouchna and his new to him 9mm Shield, the 115gr rounds kept COM, but I suspect the twist rate may favor heavier rounds.

Of course, YMMV.

Brad is correct. You may also want to look into replacing the sights. When Brad and I were shooting, the white dots popped off. I wasn't surprised as I have read similar stories about the sights. I switched mine out and put on night sights. Enjoy your new Shield, it really is a joy to carry.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It was actually kinda funny to watch them pop out while you were shooting. 1 mag, there went the left rear. 2nd mag, there went the front. 3rd mag, there went the last rear dot.

Although it was a good chance to practice reflex shooting with the dots out.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    It was actually kinda funny to watch them pop out while you were shooting. 1 mag, there went the left rear. 2nd mag, there went the front. 3rd mag, there went the last rear dot.

Although it was a good chance to practice reflex shooting with the dots out.

I'll just hit em with a little crazy glue. :)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'll just hit em with a little crazy glue. :)

White paint on a fine-tip brush. ;)

It's what got me thru with my 4" .45 until I finally replaced the sights. Damn muzzle blasts would come back around and leave a build-up on the front sight, after a range trip I'd have to clean out the crud and retouch the white paint.

Although the powder in my reloads is also a bit sooty, and smoky on lead rounds, so that likely didn't help matters.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    White paint on a fine-tip brush. ;)

It's what got me thru with my 4" .45 until I finally replaced the sights. Damn muzzle blasts would come back around and leave a build-up on the front sight, after a range trip I'd have to clean out the crud and retouch the white paint.

Although the powder in my reloads is also a bit sooty, and smoky on lead rounds, so that likely didn't help matters.

Honestly, couldn't care less about the sights. They just get in the way ;) I might use a few feet of grip tape decorating her though. I love that stuff.

Last edited:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Thought about doing some stippling, but honestly I've yet to have an instance where I felt like my grip was compromised with the M&P's.

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    I love my sheild so far. The trigger gets some taking used to after using a Glock for so long. I'm going to do the apex trigger and a set of Truglo TFO sights. I purchased the comptac minosaur and it literally makes the gun dissapear. Very confortable and makes you forget you're even carrying. Best part about the holster is that you can buy different bodies and swap them out for other guns you may carry.

B3DCC9C3-2F03-40E2-BEB2-9135973E7C61_zpsi3ju2vou.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Compared to my G27.

10087014-6321-4DC3-8E37-44E8E0917C90_zpsvcclpk74.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    Blaster, have you tried appendix carry? Depending on your body type it might be a good option; especially with the Shield and given the fact that your side is so worn out. I went appendix and never looked back. I would recommend the PHLster holster if you're interested.

Also have to give a nod to the Talon grips. Rubber or sandpaper - they're awesome!

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Blaster, have you tried appendix carry? Depending on your body type it might be a good option; especially with the Shield and given the fact that your side is so worn out. I went appendix and never looked back. I would recommend the PHLster holster if you're interested.

Also have to give a nod to the Talon grips. Rubber or sandpaper - they're awesome!

I've done it with larger pistols. Sometimes I'll slide my owb up front and do that, depending on the circumstance.
    I really don't need that type of deep concealment off duty.

That's the fun with getting a new blaster, the $100's you'll spend getting to know it. :)

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    When I carried for only a limited time and for a limited amount of hours, some days I would feel like I needed a manpon when using anything positioning at the back as it would elevate sweat so much and it would funnel to the crack of my ass...just the thought of the leather-on-skin for an extended period inside a joint where they turn the heat up to like 80 during winter is making my back begin to perspire.

Everything I read and hear about the Shield is nothing but stellar. Nothing against Glocks but the M&P line has really evolved to meet the needs of shooters and they've really pushed the ergonomics of grips up a few notches. And it seems in recent time there's been a lot more accessories hit the market for them...the Kydex holsters I've seen look great for minimizing footprint. Do they mandate a trigger weight for their approved firearms you carry off duty? How does the pull/reset compare to something like the DAK or LEM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom