• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Well didn't see this coming. RTI mentioned having to compete with another US importer for this batch which would obviously be Century. Should be very interesting to see how the Luger focused collecting community reacts to this latest pile of Lugers and others which also include PPs, P-38s, Pythons (WTF?) and Vz52s. Also saw in this video an Italian Glisenti 1910. They mention German issue Hi Powers as well. Even a Borchardt (yeah, looks to be more of a parts donor). From the photos I'd guess that most examples of the Lugers and PPs fall into the category of shooter grade but I'm sure there will be some that rise above that.
    -Click here to see the Royal Tigers Import video up on Youtube. It seems the Russians gave German capture pistols to East Germany who then traded them to Ethiopia.
    -Obviously they've pulled out the cream of the crop to display but perhaps there will be opportunities for those with the itch to add a German pistol to the collection. Then again, it could be a blood bath rush to empty the bank account. Should be interesting for sure!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Well my interest is piqued. Now the question is, is one of those German Hi Powers $1500, or something more reasonable. Same question on the PPs. I'd say I am interested in a Python, but ha. I am not that rich.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I'd love to have a Luger or a WW2 HiPower. Will be interesting to seenhow these are priced.

Jul 1, 2012
    Not sure what the RTI import mark looks like, but an import mark on a Luger, PP, P.38 or High Power can be the kiss of death to a collector.
    If they went through East Germany chances are excellent that they have been reworked, refinished/dipped, mismatched, etc.
    At the right price-point may be a worthy shooter but don't expect a pristine, collector-grade, all-matching piece.
    Basically, keep your expectations low and you probably won't be disappointed :)

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Nice to see the tiny import marks. (Somewhere near the end of the video.)

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I’ve actually had decent luck with RTI, so I think I might take a chance on some of these if the price isn’t outrageous.

I’m actually more interested in the Italian or any ex-Austro-Hungarian pistols that are in the batch.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    "Limited availability of XXX : $1299"
    2 months later, same add
    2 months later, same add
    rinse repeat

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I doubt there will be any Waffenamt marked HiPowers for under a grand, even reworked.
    Agree. Those days are in the rear view mirror. A nice German tangent sight HP will set you back $2k or more these days and a later fixed sight example in the mid to high teens.
    I just hope that newbies or those new to C&R will do a little homework to check current market values before clicking "buy". I'm sure RTI will price these as though they are gems and not something that has been sitting in Lord knows what kind of storage for decades. Those items in better condition are sure to sell fast as everyone scrambles to grab something.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    The first batch of RTI Lugers from Africa are up with many already gone. Can't say I'm surprised at the price levels, they're good capitalists, getting way above market for what are worn ex Russian capture, VOPO reworks. I'd say 2x what they've sold for in the past. What I'm concerned about is if they are successful in resetting the "basement" of the Luger market, forcing prices up for all examples. Just at a time when the Luger market was pretty stable.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    But if they have 200 - 300 how long can they continue to feed them out five or six at a time and sustain the price?

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    All I can hope for is that RTI is putting out the "best" of their inventory first and what's to come will have to be offered at lower prices as interest wanes. Shooter grade Lugers rarely top $1k in value so buyers would have to totally suspend common sense in a race to buy at the current $2K prices. But it's not like we haven't seen this movie before with RTI imports from dusty, desolate places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom