• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BPSballistics

Aug 11, 2012
    Glen burnie
    I own a few larger caliber rifles and one handgun but its official now I decided adding a .17HMR to my 22LR just to have them both just because. Dont ask why i know alot of people say 22LR is just fine or if you already own a 22LR why buy a .17HMR or Vice Versa. my thought is you cant have enough guns right? So any who Im taking votes on a good .17 HMR. Now keep in mind im not looking for some crazy off the wall expensive one im not going to be really hunting with it. Just targeting like i do with my 22LR and possibly one day rabbit/squirell or w/e i come across in the woods. Im debating the mossberg 817 just because its priced so damn well. Any input?

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    17HMR is a badass round. I like the Savage offerings in that particular caliber, but that's a personal preference.

BPSballistics

Aug 11, 2012
    Glen burnie
    17HMR is a badass round. I like the Savage offerings in that particular caliber, but that's a personal preference.

I hear ALOT of fuzz about the savage 93 but there 2X the price of a mossberg 817 but i guess thats for a reason. Dont they have a accutrigger. I guess the mossberg is a bit more of a sloppier gun but i cant say and be speaking in ignorance since i have fired neither one of them.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Don't forgot that 17HMR ammo is $10 to $15 for 50 rounds. That adds up fast if you intend to plink a lot. I sold my 17HMR guns a few years ago after disappointment with the price/performance ratio and now concentrate on 22LR and 223. Agreed with jawn that Savage 93 is a great choice, especially model 93R17 FV (heavy barrel). Savage rifles hold their value well. The Mossberg will have poor resale value and is not comparable to the Savage in terms of overall quality and accuracy.

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    If you like lever guns, Henry makes several lever action .17's. I have shot the Henry Frontier Octagon in .17 and it was a very sweet gun. Accurate out to 200 yards, etc.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Don't forgot that 17HMR ammo is $10 to $15 for 50 rounds. That adds up fast if you intend to plink a lot. I sold my 17HMR guns a few years ago after disappointment with the price/performance ratio and now concentrate on 22LR and 223. Agreed with jawn that Savage 93 is a great choice, especially model 93R17 FV (heavy barrel). Savage rifles hold their value well. The Mossberg will have poor resale value and is not comparable to the Savage in terms of overall quality and accuracy.

This!

I owned a 93R17FV and it was a beautiful rifle - first gun I ever purchased. The wood was great, and the bluing was spectacular. I was really impressed with this little rifle - especially for $300 when I bought it in 2005. That damn thing was a tack driver. I couldn’t miss what I was shooting at if I tried.

I ended up selling it to another member of the forums when I chose to start focusing on defensive/military style weapons. The 17 is sweet, but it's a pricey round and I didn’t see the practicality of it for my situation. Still, at the end of the day, the Savage 93 is a beast... you cant go wrong.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    If you're only paper-punching, it's just very expensive rimfire. I bought a 17 because I thought I would love the round: rimfire that can be shot to 300 yards with a nice, flat trajectory. On paper is sounded awesome. It is fun to shoot, but after I put ~200 rounds through mine, I'm not quite sure what I was thinking. I don't hunt varmints and if I did, already have a few .22s that could handle small pests or a couple of .223s for larger pests. Lately, I've considered selling it to help fund a .50 suppressor. If I lived in a place that had prairie dogs, I might think otherwise.

Gratuitous photo of my .17HMR:

savage17hmr.jpg

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    I love my Savage 93R TR. The ammo may be expensive but it is on par with .22 match ammo. For me at least, I think it is a waste to shoot any close than 100 yds with it for paper punching. Any closer than that and it isn't really much of a challenge to shoot well with it. I have been able to get steady dime to quarter sized groups with it at 100 yds. Wind can be a bitch with that round though.

BPSballistics

Aug 11, 2012
    Glen burnie
    well I wound up bbuying a savage 93 with a walnut stock and heavy blued barrel slapped a bipod that I had laying around on it as well as a 3X9X40 cheap scope for now. I hope I enjoy it. I stood at the counter for about 2 hours trying to decide between 22Mag and .17HMR and went with the 17HMR. Ill post pics when I get home.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Congrats. Nice choice. If you are new to this caliber, don't be alarmed to see spent shell casings split down the side. It happens constantly with 17HMR, in my experience.

BPSballistics

Aug 11, 2012
    Glen burnie
    as in after you fire the round and eject the shell its split down the side or when you buy the rounds open them up and there screwed up from the factory? I need to get some scope rings because last night when I was installing that leapers scope the front ring felt like it was getting tight but I snapped the studd off inside of the nut......now I need some scope rings wtf lol. Im guessing there weaver style am I correct? my 93r has the factory scope base mounts on the barrel there two little bases.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    as in after you fire the round and eject the shell its split down the side or when you buy the rounds open them up and there screwed up from the factory? I need to get some scope rings because last night when I was installing that leapers scope the front ring felt like it was getting tight but I snapped the studd off inside of the nut......now I need some scope rings wtf lol. Im guessing there weaver style am I correct? my 93r has the factory scope base mounts on the barrel there two little bases.

Cracks/splits on the shoulder are common on fired brass.

images

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Not something to worry about. Just an FYI. It's very common to see spent (fired) shell casings like that, sometimes with a much more pronounced split. It's a compromise inherent to 17HMR. It's a tiny rifle round with a thin shell casing.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Mine never showed that either, but then again I didn't check every spent case. Typically only ran Hornady 17gr. or CCI 17gr., seemed to do well.

Savage 93 is a sweet little rifle, mine had the accutrigger and I never bothered to adjust it - I liked it right where it was out of the box. Sold it to a forum member.

BPSballistics

Aug 11, 2012
    Glen burnie
    so one question.. after spending 2 hours at bass pro deciding between a marlin 22 Mag and savage 93R. the marlin was a 22 mag ofcourse like i said and the savage a 17hmr. I heard alot of good things about 22 MAG but I would say 7 out of 10 people said .17hmr has a slight edge just because it can reach further with better accuracy and moves faster to as where the 22 mag has more muzzle energy and wind tends to effect it less and can take down larger game. my use of the rifle....simply just target practicing and one day maybe small game...rabbits squirell animals of that sort. Do you guys think i made the right decision. Now ofcourse this is opinion based but just looking for your guys input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom