Ok - Now are we going to get more Garands?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Furious George

May 10, 2010
    All they need is the Secretary of State to approve it I believe.

Reimportation of Garands, carbines and other U.S. wepons are still prohibited by longstanding U.S. law unless the foreign government can prove they bought the rifles with their own national funds. No grants, donations, loans or other U.S. susidized aid.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Still prohibited by longstanding U.S. law unless the foreign government can prove they bought the rifles with their own national funds. No grants, donations, loans or other U.S. susidized aid.

Not if they're at least 50 years old. Then you just neec Sec of State approval.

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    Not if they're at least 50 years old. Then you just neec Sec of State approval.

That approval is not totally discretionary. The Sec. of State can't just go ahead and say "sure, do it - I think Garands are awesome"

Under the current language of the AECA, approval for importation is conditioned on the firearms being classified as C&R AND certification that the foreign government owns them. "Owns them" has been consistently interpreted to mean they bought them with their own money.

Without these two conditions being met, the Sec. of State cannot approve the transfer.

Attempts to amend the law ("Collectible Firearms Protection Act") by substituting "own" with "legally possess" have not been successful. If you ever bought a Greek or Danish return Garand or an Italian return carbine from the CMP, you should be thankful the law works this way to effectively prevent foreign governments from selling off their surplus U.S. arms to private importers.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    That approval is not totally discretionary. The Sec. of State can't just go ahead and say "sure, do it - I think Garands are awesome"

Under the current language of the AECA, approval for importation is conditioned on the firearms being classified as C&R AND certification that the foreign government owns them. "Owns them" has been consistently interpreted to mean they bought them with their own money.

Without these two conditions being met, the Sec. of State cannot approve the transfer.

Attempts to amend the law ("Collectible Firearms Protection Act") by substituting "own" with "legally possess" have not been successful. If you ever bought a Greek or Danish return Garand or an Italian return carbine from the CMP, you should be thankful the law works this way to effectively prevent foreign governments from selling off their surplus U.S. arms to private importers.

I know that but I believe the problem is it was State themselves who were interpreting the South Korean government as not "owning" the rifles under 2778(b)1, as a technicality to get out of having to authorize re-importation. Which is really an absurd interpretation considering South Korea does own them under just about every common legal definition known and can do whatever they want with them. That section was never interpreted that way before, if it was we would have never been able to import weapons back from Korea. What HR2611 sought to do was to remove the State Department from the equation entirely concerning collectible firearms and as you said change the ownership requirement to lawful possession. So as I said, in my opinion anyway, the problem lays entirely with the administration and can be changed back to the way it was with the swipe of a pen.

http://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=(title:22 section:2778 edition:prelim)

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Let's get around the argument about whether the SK arms are importable. My concern is that is there the resolve and steel to make it so? All too often in the past we're asked to support politicians who claim to have our best 2A interests at heart. But when it comes to actually doing something positive for us they just do the safe thing and sit on their hands. In their eyes it's enough to block anti 2A legislation and rules. In effect we've been victims of what I call a "ratchet" effect. When Dems are in control they gleefully wield power and place restriction after restriction on us. Then when Republicans are in control they do nothing. No talk of rolling back any of the onerous crap the Dems just instituted. In the end it's a slow death for us. We get to watch our 2A rights chipped away but at a slower pace. Only the courts have been our saving grace and I'd argue that coward RHINOs are just fine with that. Safer for them.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    On another note the garands owned by the philippines should be able to make it over to cmp....those are being held up in the white house.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    All too often in the past we're asked to support politicians who claim to have our best 2A interests at heart. But when it comes to actually doing something positive for us they just do the safe thing and sit on their hands. In their eyes it's enough to block anti 2A legislation and rules. In effect we've been victims of what I call a "ratchet" effect. When Dems are in control they gleefully wield power and place restriction after restriction on us. Then when Republicans are in control they do nothing. No talk of rolling back any of the onerous crap the Dems just instituted. In the end it's a slow death for us. We get to watch our 2A rights chipped away but at a slower pace. Only the courts have been our saving grace and I'd argue that coward RHINOs are just fine with that. Safer for them.

I think there is a difference with Trump and that's Trump Jr. The boy is a pretty serious shooter, hangs out at gun shows and loves his toys. That could make all the difference.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Let's get around the argument about whether the SK arms are importable. My concern is that is there the resolve and steel to make it so? All too often in the past we're asked to support politicians who claim to have our best 2A interests at heart. But when it comes to actually doing something positive for us they just do the safe thing and sit on their hands. In their eyes it's enough to block anti 2A legislation and rules. In effect we've been victims of what I call a "ratchet" effect. When Dems are in control they gleefully wield power and place restriction after restriction on us. Then when Republicans are in control they do nothing. No talk of rolling back any of the onerous crap the Dems just instituted. In the end it's a slow death for us. We get to watch our 2A rights chipped away but at a slower pace. Only the courts have been our saving grace and I'd argue that coward RHINOs are just fine with that. Safer for them.

Then we can remind them that we can also "sit on our hands" when it comes to voting for them. See 11/8/16. What does it say if VanChickensh1t wins next time around with only 150 votes cast?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Art of the Deal
    N. Korea, give us back our F*n Garands if you don't want the N. Korean Horde flowing over the border because we pulled out. You owe us so give us back our Guhns
    Murica

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    I hope he fixes the BS labelling Gunsmiths manufacturers if they do any modifications to a gun. That should be on the top of the list IMO.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Boy it would be nice to have some of the restrictions on imports on garands, carbines, stuff from Russia, etc relaxed.

Stop he demilling of barrels in parts kits too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom