• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    With the current rule going in to effect including the amnesty for pistol ar's to be gifted a stamp I have a question.

I know MD has a law that a sbr needs to be a certain length, not an issue. Well it is...

What happens if I where to get a free stamp for a SBR that meets the MD law for length. Then I where to accidentally put an upper with say a 8.3 barrel, making it too short for the MD rules?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Same thing that happens if you make any kind of illegal gun. You committed a crime and no one was harmed. Well, unless or until the po-po catches you with it. Then you will certainly be harmed.

The ATF isnt going to let you register it in an illegal configuration though. Which doesn’t stop you from doing it anyway.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I have 2 pistols with under 10.5 barrels, I also have spare uppers with 10.5 or over. IIRC 10.5 is the shortest that will be long enough.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    It's illegal for the ATF to unilaterally make new gun law... especially when those infringements are prohibited by the plain text of the 2a. Just keep your pistol as a pistol.
    20190905_225157.jpg

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    I've been over exaggerating length for so long I don't know know what the truth is anymore. As long as you have a couple males on the jury, they should acquit.

That said, do we have confirmation that AR pistols will be grandfathered yet? If so, I've got a bunch of lowers I need to buy quickly...

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    For my 10.5" upper, I had to replace the standard carbine buffer tube with a VLTOR 7 position A5 buffer tube to get over 29". For good measure I replaced the original buttpad on a CTR stock with a .70" Magpul enhanced buttpad.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    That said, do we have confirmation that AR pistols will be grandfathered yet? If so, I've got a bunch of lowers I need to buy quickly...
    For the "free" stamp apperently they will want pics of how it is set up, to confirm its a "pistol" that meets the standards for the "free" stamp.

So you could not just have a pile of lowers and get the "free" stamp on all of em.
    see the linky
    click here

Last edited:

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    I've got some uppers to throw on. Had it been confirmed though?

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I've got some uppers to throw on. Had it been confirmed though?

Well confirmed as in the atf released it...no. But the docs that are out there seem to be legit, read at the link in my other reply.

Amalfi718

Sep 1, 2022
    MD
    My question is, what if we can't SBR because the gun won't meet 29" OAL? We have to sell the gun out of state or throw the brace away?

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I would assume if we cant meet the state law on length, then we would have to remove the brace or somehow make it meet the length required.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Squaregrouper has a post how to meet the 29" rule. There are several other solutions ppl have posted before too.
    SP5SD. Boom. Welcome back.
    Can't (easily) convert a MP5 to a SD. You have to cut the gun apart and start rewelding. A barrel swap would be easy if thats all it took. The trunnion, cocking tube, and support need to be swapped too. Its literally easier to just make a new gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom