• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Sounds like there should MDshooters Pistol meet day and allow others to take pictures of their braced lowers with pistol uppers... :innocent0

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Sounds like there should MDshooters Pistol meet day and allow others to take pictures of their braced lowers with pistol uppers... :innocent0
    I think we could also have a try it out day. We show up with a few uppers and a few pistol braces so we can see what works for our lowers. Then people can take pics so they remember what set up they liked

rocket1331

Jul 9, 2014
    ye at that point i may as well just run it with the end cap/sling that it comes with and be done with it, can the nfa go away yet?

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    I think we could also have a try it out day. We show up with a few uppers and a few pistol braces so we can see what works for our lowers. Then people can take pics so they remember what set up they liked
    The lower is the weapon in most cases. You legally put the same upper on as many lowers as you want and the ATF can't say a damn thing since they have previously claimed that mating the upper and lower for the first time is what makes it a pistol or rifle.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    The lower is the weapon in most cases. You legally put the same upper on as many lowers as you want and the ATF can't say a damn thing since they have previously claimed that mating the upper and lower for the first time is what makes it a pistol or rifle.
    You have not been following the brace stuff have you.

What the rule looks like right now, is for the amnesty and not have to pay for a sbr stamp. You will have to send in a pic of the fire arm to let them decide if its a pistol or a sbr. If they decide its an sbr you get a free stamp. So sending in pics of 5 different lowers with all having the same upper might make them question you. Same if you have it set up that at this time it qualifies as a pistol, it stays a pistol. If later you decide to change something and it becomes a sbr you would then need to pay for a stamp or have an illegal sbr.

So having a few lowers that had braces that are free stamps makes sense. The issue comes in with under 29 oal length in maryland, then you kind of screwed with a 8.3 inch barreled 300blk. Either make sure its a pistol be various parts of take it apart for ever.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013

What the rule looks like right now, is for the amnesty and not have to pay for a sbr stamp. You will have to send in a pic of the fire arm to let them decide if its a pistol or a sbr. If they decide its an sbr you get a free stamp. So sending in pics of 5 different lowers with all having the same upper might make them question you. Same if you have it set up that at this time it qualifies as a pistol, it stays a pistol. If later you decide to change something and it becomes a sbr you would then need to pay for a stamp or have an illegal sbr.

So having a few lowers that had braces that are free stamps makes sense. The issue comes in with under 29 oal length in maryland, then you kind of screwed with a 8.3 inch barreled 300blk. Either make sure its a pistol be various parts of take it apart for ever.
    I have been following it, and your logic doesn't jive with ATF historical claims. You can have 20 SBR lowers or 20 pistol lowers and yet only own a single upper receiver for all of them.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I have been following it, and your logic doesn't jive with ATF historical claims. You can have 20 SBR lowers or 20 pistol lowers and yet only own a single upper receiver for all of them.
    well besides the logic statement.

Do you really think the atf would give away free stamps for 20 lowers all with the same upper. Yes I know your exaggerating, but think about it. The rule is looking at each lower on its own, and what is attached to it. AKA a sba3 is adjustable length, mated with a 1-4 lpvo, its a rifle. They will be doing batch approvals per person I bet, clicking thru pics. Yes Yes no, yes no. Send your stamps. If they see the same set up, I bet they deny them, all except one.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019

Can I cut 5" off the barrel of my (soon to be mine) Beretta CX4 Storm PCC, and send them a picture for a free SBR Stamp ??

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Can I cut 5" off the barrel of my (soon to be mine) Beretta CX4 Storm PCC, and send them a picture for a free SBR Stamp ??
    Nope and you know that. Thats what they want to prevent I believe by getting pics.

Also think about it in a court.
    Defendant... I had this gun for years, then they told me I had to pay 200 bucks to keep it. Defendant lawyer... We say this is wrong for what ever legal reason ( takings clause or ex post facto ) .

Vs the defendant saying , I was told the rules that applied to my gun changed, and it was just some free paper work I did not feel like doing.

BigWilly

oK, nOw WhAt ?
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dundalk
    Just really sucks that the federal and state levels won't jive. Now my weapon that has been classified as a pistol for years is now a SBR but because it's 28.5 inches long it's prohibited by the state.

And I'm guessing it's going to be a random ATF employee looking at the photo and arbitrarily deciding if it is a rifle or a pistol.

I wonder if my gun can decide to be nonbinary?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Just really sucks that the federal and state levels won't jive. Now my weapon that has been classified as a pistol for years is now a SBR but because it's 28.5 inches long it's prohibited by the state.

And I'm guessing it's going to be a random ATF employee looking at the photo and arbitrarily deciding if it is a rifle or a pistol.

EXACTLY

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter

You can overcome a half inch. I'm almost sure of it... :innocent0

FrankAR15

Feb 1, 2008
    Anne Arundel Co.
    If it was bought legally as a pistol from a manufacturer and registered as a pistol, in MD, under 29”, how can they then say it has to be an SBR?
    How can they ask you to change something you bought legally?
    ‍♂️

BigWilly

oK, nOw WhAt ?
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dundalk
    If it was bought legally as a pistol from a manufacturer and registered as a pistol, in MD, under 29”, how can they then say it has to be an SBR?
    How can they ask you to change something you bought legally?
    I am of the opinion it should not change but ultimately it's up to the government. If they say it's not a pistol then the courts are the only recourse. I hope the ATF gets it's hand slapped before it goes into effect.

Sent from my SM-T738U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom