• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    Hi, does anyone know how long MREs are good for? I got a box of old MREs from a building we decommissioned last year, but there are no expiration dates on the plastic bags containing each meal. Is anyone familiar with the company Long Life Food Depot? Does anyone want it? I can bring it back with me when I return to the US in May, and you can have the whole box. I have no idea how old the MREs are, so you take your chances. :)

Mre.JPG

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    Hi, does anyone know how long MREs are good for? I got a box of old MREs from a building we decommissioned last year, but there are no expiration dates on the plastic bags containing each meal. Is anyone familiar with the company Long Life Food Depot? Does anyone want it? I can bring it back with me when I return to the US in May, and you can have the whole box. I have no idea how old the MREs are, so you take your chances. :)

View attachment 455291

There is a guy on YT that eats rations from the 1940s and stuff. A bit dangerous but I'm sure these are fine? lol

The inside packages will have dates, as posted above.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    I bought two cases of MREs (all ~12 months old) during the pandemic in 2020, and eat them every once in a while. I do have to admit that nowadays, it's hard for me to eat them without my stomach getting mad at me, but I'm not sure if that's the age of the MREs, or the fact that my digestive system isn't as efficient now that I'm pushing 40.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I bought two cases of MREs (all ~12 months old) during the pandemic in 2020, and eat them every once in a while. I do have to admit that nowadays, it's hard for me to eat them without my stomach getting mad at me, but I'm not sure if that's the age of the MREs, or the fact that my digestive system isn't as efficient now that I'm pushing 40.
    And the fact they are MRE's...they just provide food/calories. Not necessarily easy on the stomach

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    And the fact they are MRE's...they just provide food/calories. Not necessarily easy on the stomach

Yeah, true. There's stuff that I could have handled at age 18 that I can't handle in my late-30s, and MREs seem to be one of those things. The preservatives are just a lot for me, even though I use probiotics (both in smoothies, and as a daily supplement).

I think that the last time I ate one of the MREs, I had a bad stomach cramp and bloating for the rest of the night afterwards.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I always liked the MRE spaghetti and meatballs in sauce, and I'd add a packet of MRE cheese and crunched up MRE crackers. Mix it all up with a couple of those mini-bottles of Tabasco and it was a grand meal. :thumbsup:

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I have a “few” MREs I got over the years and dip into my stash every now and again to test them out. I have no problems with a 15 year old MRE (other than usual stomach disagreement from eating the Taco Bell of survival foods (MREs)). Personally, I like the crackers with cheese or peanut butter. A few of the desserts are good too. Seems like they just never go bad.

Also, USGI MREs have a sticker on the side that changes colors as the MREs age. Storage temperature greatly impacts lifespan, but “lifespan” is how the food tastes, not whether or not it will make you sick.

Attachments

• IMG_0097.jpeg
      IMG_0097.jpeg
      42.7 KB · Views: 41

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Yeah, true. There's stuff that I could have handled at age 18 that I can't handle in my late-30s, and MREs seem to be one of those things. The preservatives are just a lot for me, even though I use probiotics (both in smoothies, and as a daily supplement).

I think that the last time I ate one of the MREs, I had a bad stomach cramp and bloating for the rest of the night afterwards.
    Sounds normal. They are made to keep you from shitting in field as much
    I always liked the MRE spaghetti and meatballs in sauce, and I'd add a packet of MRE cheese and crunched up MRE crackers. Mix it all up with a couple of those mini-bottles of Tabasco and it was a grand meal. :thumbsup:
    Yup fan favorite here too

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    MRE Jalapeno Cheese Spread went well with anything.
    "Cheese"... that cheese infused xantham gum came out of the squeezable pouch the same way outa the butt. Dependable flavor and poop consistency. :)

Remember folks....if you're going to poop in the woods after eating an MRE you must bury it deep. The preservatives will make your poop nearly immortal. Your poop after eating MRE cheese can just stay there through weather events and it's almost completely water proof. Don't let other people step on your logs.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Hi, does anyone know how long MREs are good for? I got a box of old MREs from a building we decommissioned last year, but there are no expiration dates on the plastic bags containing each meal. Is anyone familiar with the company Long Life Food Depot?

Nope. No idea who that company is. Those may be well preserved food, but they are not MRE's.

Actual MREs are made by two companies that I know of, Sopakco and Wornick.

Those aren't USGI. USGI have bar codes and the main meal will have a date on it.

And a US DOD seal on the internal packaging.

Wornick packaging on left, Sopakco on right.

20240218_125006.jpg

Edit: another packaging company which produces them is "Ameriqual"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom