• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    Have seen "opinions" regarding both outcomes but will test if not visually defective. My grandfather gave me a ton of reloading stuff today. Dies, primers, powders, bullet cases, etc. Some of the dies are corroded pretty heavy but curious as to if any have been able to bring them back to serviceable condition.
    Will post pictures when time permits.
    With the old primers i read one could load primer into empty case and "see if it goes bang." Is this advisable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Yes, could load up some of the primers and see if they go bang still.

Dies can be an issue if the insides are no longer smooth. I'm not sure of a way to clean them up without creating other issues with them.

Presses are pretty hard to mess up so those should be OK.

TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    cc6c7375124dce3a0c3860541cfcd721.jpg
    223ff0746c76d8e614af074e69321477.jpg
    fcd3c29004e4f585b07fa7b5a8b630ee.jpg
    6d10c9c0c72e5e48fa3c3f7efb3fa452.jpg
    92f52ab5e4058f32abd59db52bdf12b8.jpg
    617bc60830f7d14dbb0e1f52b5041dba.jpg

This was just one box. There is another hardware divider full of dies and the like which seem in better condition. Will post later.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    If the powders were kept in the same humid environment as the dies, I wouldn't trust them.

And what's up with all the melted plastic?

As for primers, put some in some brass cases and see if they go POP. Listen for the same level of POP. Try a few from all of the different tins. No powder and bullets in the brass. Obviously.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Those square 2400 and Bullseye cans are quite collectable.

Either NSSFor NRLMA , or both, and probably others have checklists of visual and smell factors for preliminary examination of old powders.

That one seating die looks pretty bad, but the others check carefully there condition on the inside where it matters.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I'd contact RCBS and send them pictures of the dies. Ask if they can smooth the inside.

Who knows, they may just decide to send you new ones.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "Those square 2400 and Bullseye cans are quite collectable."

Took the words right out of my mouth. The Rem ammo box, too.

As suggested, check inside the dies, use a strong light. Wet a patch or cloth in something like Kroil, 5-56, PB Blaster and wipe down the inside of the dies. Let it sit about 10 minutes then use a dry cloth to wioe it out. If you have heavy rust on the patch the die(s) is(are) toast. Thase two dies may be rusted like that because it was touched by a sweaty hand and not wiped down. They both rusted around the adjuster nuts. The salt started the corrosion and time continued it.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    The idea with primers to try them in cases without bullets or powder is a good one. Regarding the powder,sniff test it, if there is no smell or smells like a pleasant alcohol odor, it should be good as long as there is no rust color to it. If the powder has a strong acid smell, ditch it as fertilizer. Regarding the dies, they do not look that bad, looks like surface rust, see if you can clean them up with a rag with kriol oil.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I love seeing this kind of stuff!

On the powder: Smells acidic? Red dust noted when pouring? These would be signs that the powder has deteriorated. I am old enough that I can certainly recall powder packaged in cans, and later in cardboard canisters that preceded today's plastic, but these specific cans certainly pre-date anything I've personally used. Can't make out the couple of price tags that appear, but they appear to read as $2 and $3 and change per pound? If this is so, I'd guess 1950's or 1960's. As mentioned, the cans are very definitely collectable. Ditto the ammo.

The primers given the packaging and the $1.49 price appear to me to be no older than the late 1970's, and are probably more like the early to mid 1980's. Those primers will be packed in a white plastic tray of 10 rows of 10 primers across, unlike today's individual compartmentalized packaging. Load a few in empty cases and snap them off. My best guess is that they may well prove to be fine. I have and to this day still use CCI primers packaged exactly this way that I purchased in the early 80's.

The dies? The inside condition of those dies is certainly what matters most. Especially so with the sizing/decap die. If the interior walls are pitted, they're shot.

First step is to disassemble those dies and clean them with a good gun solvent. The exteriors can be cleaned up if the interiors are worthwhile. Hope to find that those interior walls of the sizing die were loaded with case lube rather than rust. From there if needed, disassembly and oiled 0000 wool on a wooden dowel might give you a better idea of what you're up against.

Good luck!

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Some dies you can clean up just by throwing them in your tumbler. Some dies totally clog with media(fcd comes to mind). Its best to disassemble them first.

TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    Thanks for the info. This is a wealth of information to take in and it seems I have some work ahead of me diagnosing each's condition. Will update as I go.

obiii

Jun 2, 2010
    Allegany County, MD
    As far as the dies go, the insides are probably ok. There is a product called Evapo-Rust, sold by Walmart for around $15.00 per gallon. Soak those dies in it for a while and it will eat the rust off. Google it and see.
    OB

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I agree, check the inside of the dies. Mainly the sizing die, where the tolerances are critical.

As for the powder, IMR came in those cans well into the 70s. I have a can of IMR 4350 from about 77-78 time frame. Hercules powder (now Alliant) came in the cardboard containers, I have a few of them around. Hodgdon come in plastic bottles in that time frame, but I think they were square, not like the current round ones. Winchester came in round cans with a cone shaped top.

noahhh

Jan 28, 2009
    Arnold,Md
    I have routinely used powder and primers older than the stuff you pictured. Primers especially are pretty hardy devices. I was given a boat load of old primers (Alcans, Remingtons, Winchesters) from the 60's that had been stored in a non-climate controlled garage all their lives, and they work just fine. Some of the cardboard sleeves are so mildewed you can't hardly read them. In fact, I have a stash of pre-war FA-70 primers (Frankford Arsenal-formula 70) that are very very consistent- as good as the day they were made. (I load them up with 1930's vintage Frankford Arsenal brass, HiVel#2 powder- which is a LOT older than the cans pictured here-, and LC Match bullets for "nostalgia range sessions" with my 1903A1.)

I will cry when my stash of WWII-surplus 4831 powder is finally used up. Bought in cardboard kegs back in the 60's by my dad, for around 50¢/pound.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Send the dies back to RCBS (and I think $5 for return shipping) and they'll polish them for free. I use a set of RCBS .30/06 dies from 1962. I once had a stuck case that I couldn't get out, so I sent it back. They polished it, replaced the mandrel with a modern one, provided me the modern hex lock ring, and sent it back in a free plastic box.

If the dies are pitted, RCBS will probably replace them for free. They have an exceedingly good warranty and customer service.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Not sure they will take them if im not original owner.

I'm not sure if they honor their warranty for neglect, but you don't have to be the original owner.

That said, I've been pretty amazed by their response to warranty inquiries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom