• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mka2278

Nov 1, 2013
    What would an older b/c go for? Nothing special just an average price / wear from 60s - 70's - 80s?
    Are they worth it? What to look out for?
    Opinions appreciated. Even the ones telling me I'm an idiot!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Too many possible models and grades to quote.

But Blue Book ranges from $450 to $5000.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    What would an older b/c go for? Nothing special just an average price / wear from 60s - 70's - 80s?

I'd like to know too.
    I have a 30" Citori from the 80's that is like new and I'm thinking about selling it because I just never shoot it.

max111

MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2014
    somd

Just a few things and older wise man told to me to look out for when shopping for an older o/u, or a sxs. With the gun closed, hold it by the wrist and grab the barrels in front of the fore end and twist. If there is any movement, walk away. If not, open the gun. It should not have excessive play when open either. The opening lever to the left of center when the action is closed is a sign of excessive wear also. Look at the wood. If the checkering is worn down, it's at least been carried a lot, and likely shot a lot. Look where the wood meets the receiver. Any sign of cracks? Walk away. If the wood is darker in that area, someone has used too much oil and the stock has soaked it up, it will be weaker there. Look at the metal - in areas where metal moves against metal, there should not be any galling or heavy scrapes. Ask them to take the barrels off, then carefully hang them from a finger, then 'ping' with your other hand, They should ring. If you get a 'clunk' it likely has a loose rib.
    Those are just a few of the things to look for but they are all big issues when I'm looking, since none of those are cheap fixes.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Is it made in Belguim or Japan?

All Citoris are made in Japan.

Superposed are made in Belgium.

The Citori is marketed and distributed by the Browning Arms Company in Morgan, Utah. It is manufactured for Browning by the Miroku Corporation in Nangoku, Japan.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    That makes me feel better.
    I thought I had a Japanese citori while other richer people had Belgium citoris. :)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Nothing wrong with a Japanese Citori.

My wife and I have Japanese made 325s. They are also European made 325s around. Now, I see references to Citori 325s, but ours are not marked as Citori anywhere.

But anyway, we have put literally 10s of thousands of rounds through ours. Between us, we fired 15,000 shells the first year we had them. And did not slow down for a while. At one point, our company became a Fiocchi distributor, just to supply ourselves with cheaper shot shells. :)

And they are still tight and shoot well.

mka2278

Nov 1, 2013
    Thanks one and all.
    Lots of good information!
    I ask because I saw one that looked nice at a gun show. Think it was a 1980s, 12G 30" Nice, nondescript (not super fancy burled) bit not dinged-up wood. Looked like it had been used, but not too hard. Still pretty tight when you opened it, no wobble, and the opening lever was right of center.
    Figured it may have been a decent gun, even despite the age and use, as I've heard they can run a ton of shells through them.

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    Nothing wrong with a Japanese Citori.

My wife and I have Japanese made 325s. They are also European made 325s around. Now, I see references to Citori 325s, but ours are not marked as Citori anywhere.

But anyway, we have put literally 10s of thousands of rounds through ours. Between us, we fired 15,000 shells the first year we had them. And did not slow down for a while. At one point, our company became a Fiocchi distributor, just to supply ourselves with cheaper shot shells. :)

And they are still tight and shoot well.
    I have a European 325 that I purchased in the mid 90s. They are a nice gun for sporting clays. The main differences are the barrels weigh less and have no porting compared to the Japanese 325s. Much quicker handling.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Thanks one and all.
    Lots of good information!
    I ask because I saw one that looked nice at a gun show. Think it was a 1980s, 12G 30" Nice, nondescript (not super fancy burled) bit not dinged-up wood. Looked like it had been used, but not too hard. Still pretty tight when you opened it, no wobble, and the opening lever was right of center.
    Figured it may have been a decent gun, even despite the age and use, as I've heard they can run a ton of shells through them.

15-20K rounds without batting an eye.

If it fits you decent, isn't beat to death, locking lever is still towards the right and was less than $1k, I'd think it's a fair deal. :thumbsup:

Riley26

Mar 12, 2013
    Odenton, Maryland
    First gun was a 525. It balances nice, has a smooth and strong action, goes bang every time, and will shoot shells with seemingly bad primers mis-firing coming out of a semi. It's easy to clean and has real nice ejectors. It's one of the firearms that would never be sold.

mka2278

Nov 1, 2013
    15-20K rounds without batting an eye.

If it fits you decent, isn't beat to death, locking lever is still towards the right and was less than $1k, I'd think it's a fair deal. :thumbsup:

You are spot on. The guy was asking $1k, "firm."

You go to the 3 bird?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom