• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    My friend found a couple old 32cal iron molds at an auction and grabbed them. I poured a few just to check them out and both left heavy wings on the castings from parting gap.

Are these molds just warped and of historical value only, or is there some prep or coating that’s suppose to be done prior to keep the parting lines minimized ?

I cleaned them with a plastic brush and brake clean, but it seemed like I can see even more light through the parting now after cleaning

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    My friend found a couple old 32cal iron molds at an auction and grabbed them. I poured a few just to check them out and both left heavy wings on the castings from parting gap.

Are these molds just warped and of historical value only, or is there some prep or coating that’s suppose to be done prior to keep the parting lines minimized ?

I cleaned them with a plastic brush and brake clean, but it seemed like I can see even more light through the parting now after cleaning
    Just for fun, try heating them up like you would if molding, and see if the gap shrinks or disappears.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Just for fun, try heating them up like you would if molding, and see if the gap shrinks or disappears.

OK yup, that seems to work after pre heating the wings got smaller until almost non existent

One mold has a bent sprue plate, but I can take that off and work it later..

Thanks!!

5E984890-1502-4954-93C2-86C3F7CB4A84.jpeg

1FDEBB0B-B42B-4670-BBDC-0154BDA649CE.jpeg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm not Mike .

But back in the day , the major gun mfg , especially Winchester , offered a combo tool , including a bullet mold , with their brand , as an option with the gun .

My first thought , and presumptive interpretation was that this was such a tool .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom