• ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    There isn't a difference.

70 bucks is a crazy price.

Check around for LE Wilson. They have the name in these gages and you may find them a few bucks cheaper still. Wilson may even make the Lyman. Wouldn't surprise me.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You DO have to shop around. I have found many sellers on Amazon with stupid prices.

I was looking for batteries for my drone. Amazon wanted twice as much per battery as the buying direct from Horizon Hobby.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    As said, there are different items that can be a higher price, even from the same vendor. Little trick to get more $ from those who "click away" without looking or refining their search.

BTW, I like my Lyman 223 gauge. Helps me audit my cases after sizing to make sure I'm not short stroking or the die was not set correctly.
    I'll check every 10 or so.
    Then I'll check the case length every 10 or so after using my World Finest Trimmer (WFT)

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I just ordered one of these. https://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Gun-Works-Chamber-Blackout/dp/B00JYGRGU8

Allows you to check 7 cases at a time.

70166.jpg

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Klunatic, the Lyman allows you to check the min/max shoulder length as well as min/max OAL
    That just looks like it checks just a min or a max

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Its for checking loaded ammo to ensure OAL and brass headspace is correct. Not for check unloaded brass.
    "
    EGW’s Chamber Checkers are machined from solid 6061 T6 aircraft grade aluminum.

While some companies use boring bars to make chamber checkers, EGW uses the actual Clymer reamers that are used to chamber barrels.

This chamber checker is for the .300 Blackout.

Anodized matte black for durability.

Measures min case diameter.

Measures max overall length
    http://www.egwguns.com/tooling/ammo-chamber-checker-.300-blackout-7-hole/

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    The lyman checks Min/Max headspace as well as min/max CASE Length, not cartridge OAL.
    Min/Max headspace is important
    Too long and it may not close a bolt
    Too short and firing pin may not activate Primer

Case Length is important to verify trim is correct.
    Too long and it might not chamber.
    Too short and your crimp die may not work

From Evolution Gun works website:
    Measures max overall length.
    (I see nothing about measuring headspacing which on a 223/300 is based on the shoulder)
    Checking headspace, there is an acceptable range, there should be a way to measure min/max which the EGW does not have from what I can see.

This is different than the Lyman it checks different things, useful tool, but different

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Do they check more things than the orange Lyman that I saw in one of your pics? I have the orange Lyman for pistol rounds too.

From the description on their website yes, but I'm not an expert by far and I'll buy stuff just to buy it.:o:D
    I know it definately checks max COAL and min and max cartridge headspace where the Lyman block can't because of the multi caliber setup.

Check the description here for the 10mm auto I've got.

Shooters box 10mm case gauge specs

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    The lyman checks Min/Max headspace as well as min/max CASE Length, not cartridge OAL.
    Min/Max headspace is important
    Too long and it may not close a bolt
    Too short and firing pin may not activate Primer

Case Length is important to verify trim is correct.
    Too long and it might not chamber.
    Too short and your crimp die may not work

From Evolution Gun works website:
    Measures max overall length.
    (I see nothing about measuring headspacing which on a 223/300 is based on the shoulder)
    Checking headspace, there is an acceptable range, there should be a way to measure min/max which the EGW does not have from what I can see.

This is different than the Lyman it checks different things, useful tool, but different

I may be wrong but from the description I was thinking that the EGW checks the entire case (including diameter) for SAAMI spec, like the expensive cut-away gauge that I can't remember the name. Wilson and Lyman are oversized on the diameters to ensure an accurate head space and OAL measurement.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Thread resurrection

This thread is as close as I could find on searching but I'm still not sure why I get 2 different "findings" on the same case with 2 different case gauges. On average, I am finding that 5% of the cases I have checked will fit the Dillon gauge but not the Lyman gauge. I "lost" my Lyman gauge and ordered a Dillon gauge but soon after the Dillon arrived, the Lyman reappeared (go figure!). So for shiggles, I started to cross check some and found the variance between the 2 gauges. I thought the gauges were supposed to be to SAAMI standards and am curious/concerned why some cases are "failing" in the Lyman but not the Dillon gauge. Any input or explanation from the experienced reloaders out there?

Attachments

• Dillon gauge.jpg
      Dillon gauge.jpg
      73 KB · Views: 79
    • Lyman gauge.jpg
      Lyman gauge.jpg
      55.3 KB · Views: 77
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads