• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Fixed that for you...

To the larger issue of "warnings" made by the sound of racking a round in...

I have an alarm, and a dog and the tv's and dvd players are downstairs. If they come up those steps they've had plenty of warning AND the opportunities to steal and run. They're coming up those steps KNOWING that anyone upstairs is awake. I don't see any reason to give them any more chances to cut the crap. They're coming upstairs because they want to interact with my family and I intend to oblige.

I can see that. With a two story house there really is no reason for a common burglar to go upstairs. If I were in a two story house I would simply create a fatal funnel of fire at the top of the stairs and call 911 and wait.

I live in a small one story house. We had to throw up temporary walls to create extra bedrooms in it so now the floor plan is like a maze. My bedroom door isn't a door, just one of those folding, sliding accordion things. It's held shut by a magnet. There is no way to open it quietly. I'd rather make noise to scare away a burglar and only try to maneuver through the tight corners of my house if the bad guy was threatening one of my kids. It's a bad situation that I'm in when the kids are here.

As far as the throw away gun concept, I get it but wouldn't recommend it. If it ever came down to me shooting another person I would want the absolute best, most reliable firearm I can buy. I'd rather shoot paper with a junk gun and bet my life on an expensive reliable gun. If you lose a $2000 gun that's a small price to pay to protect the life of you and your family in a life or death situation.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I can see that. With a two story house there really is no reason for a common burglar to go upstairs. If I were in a two story house I would simply create a fatal funnel of fire at the top of the stairs and call 911 and wait.

I live in a small one story house. We had to throw up temporary walls to create extra bedrooms in it so now the floor plan is like a maze. My bedroom door isn't a door, just one of those folding, sliding accordion things. It's held shut by a magnet. There is no way to open it quietly. I'd rather make noise to scare away a burglar and only try to maneuver through the tight corners of my house if the bad guy was threatening one of my kids. It's a bad situation that I'm in when the kids are here.

As far as the throw away gun concept, I get it but wouldn't recommend it. If it ever came down to me shooting another person I would want the absolute best, most reliable firearm I can buy. I'd rather shoot paper with a junk gun and bet my life on an expensive reliable gun. If you lose a $2000 gun that's a small price to pay to protect the life of you and your family in a life or death situation.

There is absolutely a reason to go upstairs. Burglars know to find jewelry and many times guns in bedrooms. But here we are talking about a home invasion. If they know you are home and come upstairs, then you guys are right. Blast away. I hate the thought of having to maneuver through a creaky house. Godspeed to those of you who have to.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh

There really is no reason for the F'er to be in my house in the first place! I have an alarm and if someone breaks in and sticks around with the alarm going off I'm going to assume they have bad intentions. All I can suggest is have a basic plan where kids go if alarm goes off or dogs start barking. That is what we do. I don't want my kids wandering out into the hall when the alarm is going off.

Could not agree more! Also, I want my go to gun to be one I practice with a ton. Using it and dealing with malfunctions should be automatic.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    I have a teenage son, so by definition, there is at least one dumbass in the house.

All guns are locked up, mags loaded, but not in gun.

Once I decide I hear a 'bump' it takes me about 30 secs to be cocked and locked.

Rob.

dapefley

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Hughesville MD
    I have considering doing the below, especially because the laws here in Maryland suck, and how if you use a firearm in a SD situation, you are likely to NEVER see that firearm again, assuming you are justified (or at least I have heard, also, good luck with that).

What about keeping a revolver at the ready. Something cheap. Something that goes bang ever time. Something that you don't mind loosing. Enter, Nagant Revolver. Granted, it may have some over penetration, but I don't know, as I haven't fired mine enough yet. Also, there is no racking a round, so the element of surprise is still with you. It has a LONG, HEAVY trigger pull, which, in this situation is good, I assume, as well as having enough rounds for you to get to your other *tools of the trade* if need be. Finally, would you really mind loosing a $100-$150 firearm, vs a $500-$1000 firearm? Especially if you can get the job done?

When I stated the above, notice that I said I had considered it. I totally agree with everyone as to keeping your go to gun, the same one you practice with the most.

As for me, I keep my FNS 9MM as my primary with 3 mags of hurt for whoever crosses that threshold. On top of that, I have other mags loaded for other guns, including the 12 gauge at the ready with 00Buck.

My dog is a big sissy, so he will be useless except to bark and run away. This means that I have my own senses to rely on. However, having a police officer live right next door to you, is also pretty good insurance, at least a deterrent for potential bad guys.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Even though this is not "at home", its a good teaching tool. Perfect practice makes perfect.

I dont recommend carrying unchambered for the reasons outlined by others.
    If you do decide to carry (or store at home) unchambered, you should at least regularly practice (dry fire, safe direction, etc) thousands of times charging your firearm as you draw to build muscle memory.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Fixed that for you...

To the larger issue of "warnings" made by the sound of racking a round in...

I have an alarm, and a dog and the tv's and dvd players are downstairs. If they come up those steps they've had plenty of warning AND the opportunities to steal and run. They're coming up those steps KNOWING that anyone upstairs is awake. I don't see any reason to give them any more chances to cut the crap. They're coming upstairs because they want to interact with my family and I intend to oblige.
    If I were a burglar in your home I think I would more worried about the cat then the dog.

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    Had a 'bump in the night' a few nights ago. Domestic violence / screaming that seemed to spill over to my property. Sounded like it was happening right outside my window. I thought the female was gonna be killed. Just blood curdling screams. Yeah it was that bad. Even with gun in hand I was pretty scared. I thought she might be heading to my house for help. Took some fumbling with the phone but I managed to dial 9-1-1 and the police were on scene pretty quickly to their credit. Everyone reacts differently under stress and pressure, but after experiencing that, I'll leave one in. Big lesson learned that night. :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom