• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yes, you carry one in the chamber. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, get more training so you feel comfortable doing it (or simply force yourself to do so). Everyone has some level of discomfort the first time they walk around with a loaded gun... you can get past it, I assure you.

j26sub

May 8, 2018
    Kydex holster will give you peace of mind. I wouldn't carry a Glock with one chambered without it.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    OP may not have WC access where the topic may have been discussed 1,000 times... just sayin'.

Burt Hammersmith

Dumpster Fire
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 20, 2015
    Yes. I carry Glocks appendix loaded. Run proven holsters that cover the trigger and understand your holster system. Along with a belt designed for carrying.

Training before you start carrying a loaded gun, understanding your weapon system mechanics and trusting yourself and equipment. Then regular training after. Don’t get complacent, remember your still carrying a loaded gun.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    If you want some training wheels, carry a revolver with a transfer bar safety. Once you are comfortable, carry a striker-fired.

No reason to give this guy a hard time - if he wants to carry without one in the chamber, that's his business. Personally, I wouldn't think of carrying a firearm without one in the chamber, but if he isn't comfortable, then no reason to force it. However, I think that if you carry without one in the chamber, you better be fast on the draw and incorporate racking the slide upon your draw to save time.

Otherwise, a revolver will give some training wheels because it doesn't have a safety and there's usually a transfer bar safety that will block the firing pin if the hammer releases without the trigger being pulled (modern revolvers have this, but not older ones).

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    "Israeli carry" is a thing, google it.

It will cost you an extra second racking this slide.

My advice is rather than is israeli carry, just get a decent 7 shot revolver. Or you can find a model that has a decocker.

my advice as always, you do you. Israeli carry is better than no carry. People do it.

BigTruck_ZeroF$$ks

Aug 9, 2022
    Baltimore
    I can not seem to find the video that I was showed during my training but think of it like this... if something were to go down, how much time do you think you have to protect yourself and family before that attacker is on you or weapon drawn? you have maybe 2-3 secs during that time frame. you really want to worry about chambering one at that time, aim and still shoot accurately enough to stop a target coming at you. that's just my .02 i like to add.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    I carry with one in the chamber, but for the first week I carried I did it Israeli carry until I was comfortable.

My home defense guns have a full mag but empty chamber and are locked. I have kids and would rather loose a couple seconds than a child (they know the rules but it’s not a risk I’ll take).

BigTruck_ZeroF$$ks

Aug 9, 2022
    Baltimore
    I carry with one in the chamber, but for the first week I carried I did it Israeli carry until I was comfortable.

My home defense guns have a full mag but empty chamber and are locked. I have kids and would rather loose a couple seconds than a child (they know the rules but it’s not a risk I’ll take).
    home defense is different. you should always unload your gun, especially with kids. i have 4 myself and they as well know the rules but i make sure its put up securely unloaded when i come home.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Yes. Carry with one in chamber.
    Self defense is typically responding to a threat.
    Most cases that threat is an assault.
    You are at a disadvantage. You are lucky if you survive the attack and are able to respond.
    Why limit yourself even more by hoping you're capable of racking that first round?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    OP, spend a few hours watching self defense videos online and try to understand just how quickly these events usually unfold. You will see that a very few events allow the victim any time at all to dick around with their gun. You will also see that there are times that stealth (quiet and discrete draw) is needed. Your defensive firearms needs to 100% ready if you are to respond effectively. Military use of firearms is nothing like civilian self defense.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    It doesn't seem like a lot of time to pull and release the slide, but I've seen enough videos from USCCA and ASP to see that extra second could mean the difference between winning and loosing.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Condition 1

Cocked and Locked

“It’s a 1911 Thing”

Well, BHP and other SAO pistols too

SA/DA or Striker are technically carried Condition 2

Only Pistol that needs to be carried in Condition 3 in a holster is a Colt 1873 SAA or the various copies and clones.

Ruger NM Blackhawk would be the only SAO exception because of the Ruger Transfer Bar system.

Last edited:

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Just Always Be Like These Guys and Always Follow The #1 Safety Rule with Any Firearm
    610B730A-B323-455D-9DCF-67A04BC5314D.jpeg
    E99668A1-0DCB-4173-A467-4C65E44E10C6.png

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    It doesn't seem like a lot of time to pull and release the slide, but I've seen enough videos from USCCA and ASP to see that extra second could mean the difference between winning and loosing.
    It's not, but its also an individual risk assessment.

Someone here posted that their wife was not comfortable with him carrying around the kids. I can see that. you have to weigh the risk of the kids getting grabby vs. a self defense scenario. Someone in PA stuck their gun on the console, the vibration set it off and they shot their kid. This type of thing happens exceedingly rarely, but it does.

Israeli carry is an extra layer of safety in that scenario and a viable option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom