• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I had a bit of a puzzle a few weeks ago. Everything worked in my favor so no harm no foul. I'd just like to check my understanding of the law and verify what I stated was correct.

I placed an order for some ammo on a website I have used successfully in the past. This time I received an automated message telling me that I could not receive ammo at that address because the village of bl bla bla had an ordinance prohibiting online ammo sales. I was fairly perplexed because I live nowhere near bla bla bla and we don't even share the same zip code. I called their Customer service and was told that the village of bla bla bla had an ordinance prohibiting online sales and a portion of that village was served by my zip code.

The village was near the DC line but nowhere near me, and certainly no sharing of zip codes. The CSR was polite and apologetic, stating that the company didn't want to be anywhere near a violation because their in-house counsel would be up against a government agency with unlimited resources and they could quickly be put out of business whether they were correct or not. I explained the geography of my location and it turnedout the website was only using the first 3 digits of the location zip code. He put in an internal ticket and I was able to complete my order a few days later. Product has since been delivered

I also explained that even if said village had a regulation prohibiting ammo deliveries, it would be unenforceable because Maryland preempts enforcement of all laws regarding firearms within jurisdiction subordinate the the state.

After I completed my conversation I realized I had never actually read the statute. Does state preemption of firearm laws extend to delivery of ammo?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    So, you taught someone that zip codes have 5 digits? LOL!

And I doubt any online seller is going to dig deep enough to determine whether a preemption law applies. Just not worth it to get caught up in a gray area like that. They were absolutely correct about the high cost even if they eventually won.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    AmmoJon doesn't discriminate... at least not by zip code...

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    PSA used to ship me ammo in MoCo, until suddenly they didn't.

They based this on a local law that had been successfully challenged years earlier. I sent them links to that effect, as well as an email from NRA-ILA with similar info, but they don't care.

They're off my shopping list for everything now.

There are a lot of companies that want your business.

You might as well out the guys that turned you down; might save others from some aggravation in future.

johnhmpg

Mar 14, 2011

I've been purchasing from Target Sports USA for years. And they are an IP here.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    <snip>

After I completed my conversation I realized I had never actually read the statute. Does state preemption of firearm laws extend to delivery of ammo?
    Yes, state preemption extends to online ammunition sales and delivery.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Using only the first three digits of a zip code is just stupid.

Do they use only the first three digits of a phone number?

How about using just the first letter of a state's abbreviation?

Chase Houston

MDS, MSI, NRA Lifetime
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 10, 2022
    Chevy Chase, MD
    I too have used TargetSport and had my ammo delivered to my front door in MoCo.
    SigSauer will also ship to MoCo but only with adult signature required upon delivery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

etc1006

Nov 19, 2014
    SW Balto County
    So, you taught someone that zip codes have 5 digits? LOL!

And I doubt any online seller is going to dig deep enough to determine whether a preemption law applies. Just not worth it to get caught up in a gray area like that. They were absolutely correct about the high cost even if they eventually won.
    I guess if ya want to get real technical they have 9 digits now with the 4 sub zip. So it would narrow down even more where you were.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Is ammo Jon back in business? At the height of the pandemic he semed to have taken a holiday. And, BTW, no outing the online retailer is required. As I stated in the OP, the product has since been delivered to my door, perhaps because I am a repeat customer?

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Is ammo Jon back in business? At the height of the pandemic he semed to have taken a holiday. And, BTW, no outing the online retailer is required. As I stated in the OP, the product has since been delivered to my door, perhaps because I am a repeat customer?
    Ammo Jon didn’t “take a holiday” so much as his source became spotty if at all.

I‘d question lots of things in life like gas station sushi/bait, the specific gravity (live or mammorex) of certain matched parts of some well endowed gals, the integrity of the FIB, etc.

Knowing Ammo Jon for several years now, not only am I happy to say I trust him implicitly but I’m also happy to recommend him without equivocation.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    i don't see Ammo Jon on the IP forum where he used to live. Since I have never purchased through him I don't have his contact info. I'm looking for large rifle primers ( non mag) I call Shydas periodically because I miss my road trips up there but they haven't had any in quite some time.

The real concern I had with the online retailer was the automatic nature of the refusal. It was a robo message. I hope they altered the code on their website to limit the scope of the refusal, should their lawyers choose to comply with the non-functional local regulation. There are already enough limitations on where we can obtain ammo.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I had a bit of a puzzle a few weeks ago. Everything worked in my favor so no harm no foul. I'd just like to check my understanding of the law and verify what I stated was correct.

I placed an order for some ammo on a website I have used successfully in the past. This time I received an automated message telling me that I could not receive ammo at that address because the village of bl bla bla had an ordinance prohibiting online ammo sales. I was fairly perplexed because I live nowhere near bla bla bla and we don't even share the same zip code. I called their Customer service and was told that the village of bla bla bla had an ordinance prohibiting online sales and a portion of that village was served by my zip code.

The village was near the DC line but nowhere near me, and certainly no sharing of zip codes. The CSR was polite and apologetic, stating that the company didn't want to be anywhere near a violation because their in-house counsel would be up against a government agency with unlimited resources and they could quickly be put out of business whether they were correct or not. I explained the geography of my location and it turnedout the website was only using the first 3 digits of the location zip code. He put in an internal ticket and I was able to complete my order a few days later. Product has since been delivered

I also explained that even if said village had a regulation prohibiting ammo deliveries, it would be unenforceable because Maryland preempts enforcement of all laws regarding firearms within jurisdiction subordinate the the state.

Not exactly true, local firearms laws that preexisted the Preemption Statute are still enforceable.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    i don't see Ammo Jon on the IP forum where he used to live. Since I have never purchased through him I don't have his contact info. I'm looking for large rifle primers ( non mag) I call Shydas periodically because I miss my road trips up there but they haven't had any in quite some time.

The real concern I had with the online retailer was the automatic nature of the refusal. It was a robo message. I hope they altered the code on their website to limit the scope of the refusal, should their lawyers choose to comply with the non-functional local regulation. There are already enough limitations on where we can obtain ammo.
    He sells loaded ammunition, not components for reloaders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom