• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I have been looking online for my next purchase and it appears to be completely cost prohibitive.

If the firearm I'm looking at is about $650 online vs. $700 local shop prices. I escape MD taxes of about $40 but I have to pay $50-$60 transfer fees.

Most of the "deals" online have a mag taken out of the case which is about $50 if I want to replace it with a manufacturer branded one. So to even find a real "deal" I'm still paying the same price and no recourse if there is a problem.

If I really search I can save maybe about $20. Doesn't seem worth it and would rather support a local business for that amount.

Is this pretty much the conclusion that everyone else has come to?

zxcvbnm

Jun 14, 2008
    I have been looking online for my next purchase and it appears to be completely cost prohibitive.

If the firearm I'm looking at is about $650 online vs. $700 local shop prices. I escape MD taxes of about $40 but I have to pay $50-$60 transfer fees.

Most of the "deals" online have a mag taken out of the case which is about $50 if I want to replace it with a manufacturer branded one. So to even find a real "deal" I'm still paying the same price and no recourse if there is a problem.

If I really search I can save maybe about $20. Doesn't seem worth it for that amount and would rather support a local business for that amount.

Its not worth the 20 dollars. At the end of the day, if you buy from a local business, you have a place to take it to if anything goes wrong as they were the seller, and you can foster a relationship with a gun store which may be worth lots more than 20 dollars.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I have found that local gun shops pricing is about 10 to 15 % more than online. Plus you pay MD state sales tax. So lest say you find a gun online for 585 (includes shipping and no tax plus 30 for non regulated and 40 for regulated (you need to shop your FFL). So end price is $625 (regulated handgun). Loacal gun shop $655.00 plus 6% sales tax = $39.00 final price is 694.00 vs $625.00 quite a big difference. However if you become a good customer with local gun shop they do discount frequent fliers. So it is a matter if you want to support local business or going with big box evil internet store. Me I like evil :D

I would say however I deal with Lock Stock & Barrel for my transfers (reasonable prices) and they will get my business for any gun repairs so 3 cheers for them.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I have found that local gun shops pricing is about 10 to 15 % more than online.

I guess it depends on the demand for the one you want. I'm looking for a P938 nitron and can only find one about 7% less than local prices. That translates to a $30 benefit after taxes and FLL fees are all computed.

Not great.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If I really search I can save maybe about $20. Doesn't seem worth it and would rather support a local business for that amount.

Yes. Find a LGS you like, develop a relationship and good things will happen.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    JLowes, an IP, meets or (usually) beats any online price you can find, so I do not even bother to inquire anywhere else anymore.

When you can buy a new gun for what some sell a used one for....its a no brainer for me...

manderson

Ultimate Member
    Jun 3, 2008
    I guess it depends on the demand for the one you want.
    Buying online is worthwhile if it's something out of production or not readily available. For instance, I bought a Freedom Arms revolver online because there are only two distributors in Maryland and FA told me they don't do much business with them. But if it's something fairly common, definitely find a local dealer you like and support them. The price should be competitive, and 20-30 bucks doesn't make much difference either way.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Somthing in current production, and reasonably popular will be unusual to have a net price spread much above whats discussed above.

Somthing truely rare or unusual you might have to source at a distance.

Things like 3 Screw Blackhawks or P&R S&Ws only apear in front of you at a LGS unpredictably or randomly. Better bet is private individuals from enthusiast/ collector forums for the particular guns.

The wild card is that an enthusiast will know what he has and what they're worth. Sort of. LGS will at times take in interesting items on trade or from an Estate, and truely not know what they have and underprice it.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I choose to support local businesses in general. Shop local and your community prospers. If people stopped buying from local shops, for example bike shops, then there would be no local bike shop to have an experienced person to look it over, no place to go for warranty service, no place to go and meet other bike owners, etc.

If I found a one of a kind, or super hard to find item that I had to have, no qualms about ordering it and paying the transfer fee.

montigre

May 16, 2016
    I also prefer to support my LGS of choice: 2A Sales and Supplies in Jessup. Our LGSs are pouring out their blood sweat and tears in order to keep providing us a service in this highly competitive arena. Also, it is great to have a real person to chat with face to face if you have a problem with a purchase or have a question about one of your guns. Finally, it's great to just shoot the breeze every now and again with peeps who share like interests. ;-)

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I don't buy new guns off the interwebz unless it's a distributor exclusive and my local stores can't get them. The last online gun purchase I did was a Colt Cobra, near mint condition. I never see those in stock at a local shop.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I'm 50/50. I'd buy everything off the shelf but being in love with older revolvers they don't show up on the shelf like say newer semi autos.

I do love supporting my brick store though!!!

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I did save some money by getting a used Glock online. They even gave me a credit for removing the magazine from the order. New handguns probably aren't worth ordering on your own. It's the used or unusual ones where it makes sense.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I recently purchased a new pistol via Gunbroker and when it was all said and done, I ended-up paying about $30 more (with shipping and transfer fees) than it would've cost had it been in-stock at one of our IP's. I did use one of our IP's for the actual transfer and bought some ammo and other stuff when I picked it up. If it's something difficult/impossible to find, sometimes an online purchase is a good option. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if necessary.

HawaiiMark

Aug 2, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    I also prefer to support my LGS of choice: 2A Sales and Supplies in Jessup. Our LGSs are pouring out their blood sweat and tears in order to keep providing us a service in this highly competitive arena. Also, it is great to have a real person to chat with face to face if you have a problem with a purchase or have a question about one of your guns. Finally, it's great to just shoot the breeze every now and again with peeps who share like interests. ;-)

It is so important to support our local business's especially when you are talking about less than 50 bucks. If you are buying a gun sight unseen, you have no idea how it will fit in your hand, is the trigger right etc. I will gladly pay the extra cash just to be sure it's the right gun. I am also a big supporter of 2A, they are great people and always friendly.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Along with everyone else, I prefer to deal with local shops for purchases, unless it is something they would not have, and cannot just order.

And as others have said, develop a relationship with a shop and they will make sure the overall cost is less than buying online.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD

You would be surprised at how many people pay MORE for a gun online when we can beat the online gun store's price. Had a guy the other day pay $43 more for a Glock he found online. And that was with everything factored in.

Some people try and haggle with us for $5 vs online gun stores.

Had a guy in last week that was on Bud's Gun Shop's website on his phone and using me as their showroom. He felt 4 handguns before I figured it out. He said "They're just cheaper and you can't feel the guns before you buy online." I said, "If you want to save $40, then you're buying before you touch it." He said, "Well, that's what you're here for." It was then that I asked him to leave my store. He can back two days later and bought a Taurus 809 because he felt guilty about what he was doing... LOL

If saving a few dollars is worth it to you, by all means, buy online. If a local gun store's expertise, the face to face interaction and customer service is worth $50 to you, buy from your local gun store.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    You would be surprised at how many people pay MORE for a gun online when we can beat the online gun store's price. Had a guy the other day pay $43 more for a Glock he found online. And that was with everything factored in.

Some people try and haggle with us for $5 vs online gun stores.

Had a guy in last week that was on Bud's Gun Shop's website on his phone and using me as their showroom. He felt 4 handguns before I figured it out. He said "They're just cheaper and you can't feel the guns before you buy online." I said, "If you want to save $40, then you're buying before you touch it." He said, "Well, that's what you're here for." It was then that I asked him to leave my store. He can back two days later and bought a Taurus 809 because he felt guilty about what he was doing... LOL

If saving a few dollars is worth it to you, by all means, buy online. If a local gun store's expertise, the face to face interaction and customer service is worth $50 to you, buy from your local gun store.

That guy should feel guilty.

I generally will rent what I'm looking for at a range first. I probably rented the equivalent of the price of a Glock looking for my first handgun so the range made out pretty good on me.

Customer service is a major bennie on high priced purchases like a firearm. Should I say good customer service. I have been into a couple shops where I was treated pretty poorly because I didn't know anything and not sure what I wanted. I was gathering information before I purchased and they wanted no part of it. Ended up spending almost $1200 in the end and definitely was not at that place. Next one will be expensive too and I won't even entertain the thought of that establishment. I don't understand how shop owners, of any product, aren't willing to help people make a decision vs. dismissing them.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I have bought 1 pistol online, a Ruger SR1911. I was looking for one during the FSA of 2013 insanity of pricing in Maryland. I was only able to find 2 MD shops that had them and they wanted $799 for it. I found it online at a PA shop for $625 so I bought it. The Dealer that handled the transfer for me still made out as I bought 2 stripped lowers from him using the savings on the Ruger. But unless I can save more than $50 over a local sale I will buy local like the Buckmark Hunter Tyler's sold me last year :-).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom