• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    Are there any good sources online for info on reloading? I can find plenty of videos on youtube for how to work the press, but not much else.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Are there any good sources online for info on reloading? I can find plenty of videos on youtube for how to work the press, but not much else.

Tony,

I'm not sure about online, but, if you buy the book, "ABCs of Reloading" or the "Speer Reloading Manual" (get the current version!) or "Lyman Reloading Manual #49", there are hundreds of pages of loading information/instructions.

Back when I learned reloading, there was no internet.
    (Yes, dinosaurs roamed the Earth, then.):lol2:

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    I've got some books coming, but like everything else they're on backorder. Just looking for general information to read while I wait for primers an powder to become available.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    General Info:

Reloading is simple.

Deprime
    Size
    Prime
    Powder
    Bullet
    Shoot

Of course, there are some details to each step. :)

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    Tony,

I'm not sure about online, but, if you buy the book, "ABCs of Reloading" or the "Speer Reloading Manual" (get the current version!) or "Lyman Reloading Manual #49", there are hundreds of pages of loading information/instructions.

Back when I learned reloading, there was no internet.
    (Yes, dinosaurs roamed the Earth, then.):lol2:

All 3 of these books are excellent. Once you've read up on the subject. READ THEM AGAIN.... Reloading doesn't have to be dangerous. Knowledge is power though. The ABCs' of reloading is a great book.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    There are some good Youtube videos reviweing various presses and showing how to set them up.

Some of them convinced me I could reload; "If this knucklehead can reload, I coud figure it out!"

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    There are some good Youtube videos reviweing various presses and showing how to set them up.

Some of them convinced me I could reload; "If this knucklehead can reload, I coud figure it out!"

Yeah I found some of those videos too, but I'm not sure I want to be standing next to them at the range! I find it hard to believe that the process is as easy and harmless as some of those folks make it out to be. That's why I'm looking to do some more research before I start making anything that goes bang.

elbaz

May 17, 2012
    Cockeysville
    I'm also interested in getting started. I found the ABCs of Reloading on the Walmart web site for $16.82 ($15.87+tax) total shipped to my local store. It is supposed to show up sometime next week. I'm sending this because someone mentioned that is was back-ordered. Here is the link:

ABCs of Reloading

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Yeah I found some of those videos too, but I'm not sure I want to be standing next to them at the range! I find it hard to believe that the process is as easy and harmless as some of those folks make it out to be. That's why I'm looking to do some more research before I start making anything that goes bang.

You sir will do just fine with that approach! Learn all you can, and you'll keep a fun and safe hobby both. :thumbsup:

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I am using the time I am spending trying to find components to learn as much as I can. Once I find all the things I need to get started, if I am still not comfortable, I will not start loading until that comfort comes.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I find it hard to believe that the process is as easy and harmless as some of those folks make it out to be. That's why I'm looking to do some more research before I start making anything that goes bang.

Actually it is quite easy. It does take attention and some organization.

While not harmless, it is not inherently dangerous.

Range Rat

Mar 28, 2013
    Cecil County
    TonyB. - You've got the right idea. Read. Read and Read some more until you feel that you grasped the concepts. You find a lot of information on forums like this that will differ slightly on the "hows" and the "whys" but the general procedure is universal throughout. My advice to you as you are starting out: Be patient, go slowly, adhere to published loads and cartridge dimensions, and most importantly if you have a question ASK! Tis better to ask a "dumb" question than lose a couple of fingers or/ an eye (Not to mention it might be me on the bench next to you at the range and I don't want to get fragged either)

A

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Guys, reloading is not rocket science or brain surgery. Yes, read and understand. But it is simply Decap, Size, Prime, Powder, and Bullet (possibly crimp).

Yes, you need to pay attention and be organized, but pretty much anyone can reload and do it safely.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Guys, reloading is not rocket science or brain surgery. Yes, read and understand. But it is simply Decap, Size, Prime, Powder, and Bullet (possibly crimp).

Yes, you need to pay attention and be organized, but pretty much anyone can reload and do it safely.

I agree, 100% and put in red boldface the most important part.

I've been loading my own ammo since 1979.
    In that time, I've had exactly ONE mishap, and I was very lucky.
    I didn't charge ONE round (.30-'06 Springfield) with powder, and didn't know it, until I was shooting the Standing Stage at my club's High Power Rifle Match.

I was extremely fortunate that the bullet never left the case!
    This COULD HAVE BEEN catastrophic!!!!!!

I'll repeat what Norm Abram says, "Read, understand and follow all safety rules...."

Pay attention to what you're doing, and don't have any distractions.
    If you're loading ammo. . . . don't be watching television, entertaining guests, or babysitting.
    NO alcohol. NO smoking.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Just remember the 5 principles of re-loading; Dodge, Dip, Duck, Dive, and Dodge.....oh wait, that's dodgeball...nevermind. Yeah, what everyone else said!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom