• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    For those of you who occasionally open carry what type of retention holster do you use?

Please don’t turn this thread into another debate over if we should or shouldn’t open carry. Rather, I am interested in deciding if I there is a situation where I would choose to open carry should I pick a holster with active versus passive retention.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I think you'll find that a good leather holster, due to it's cant forward and good boning, that provides decent retention for an occasional "gun grab". Someone would have to be directly in front of you, reach for it and draw it out at the perfect angle, as you would have to draw it at the perfect angle. Pulling straight upward, it's not coming out.
    Weapon retention requires 3 things, a good holster(That stays attached to the belt), a great belt(To keep the holster attached to you), and your participation in retaining it(You beating the hell out of them). :)

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Doc, IMO the above posts are accurate. If you like a comfortable OWB holster made of quality leather that rides high and tight to your body with a 15 degree forward cant (Barber Leatherworks, Wright Leather and many others), and still allows you to sit comfortably in a vehicle then Blaster is correct. If you don’t mind a kydex holster that is far less comfortable in a vehicle when sitting, because it is much wider and rigid, then the ALS system Safariland produces works great provided you are comfortable and proficient with the thumb sweep as SquareGrouper states. They also have different types of optional “covers” adding yet another layer of mechanical retention if so desired. The latter being common to LE on duty. The former can still be covered with a non-tucked shirt. The latter not so easily unless it’s winter.

I regularly carry a P320 Carry in the former while out and about. I carry the same gun in the latter while at the range. Both work well.

Last edited:

kenjeep

Mar 16, 2010
    Hampstead
    Couple years ago a purchased a Blackhawk sherpa. It was only $25+- ,it has level two retention and your belt goes through the back of the holster . Its made of plastic but worked well carrying around the yard. They are available on Amazon

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Couple years ago a purchased a Blackhawk sherpa. It was only $25+- ,it has level two retention and your belt goes through the back of the holster . Its made of plastic but worked well carrying around the yard. They are available on Amazon
    It's a SERPA. I would never use a SERPA on a belt loop. At best it's a decent paddle holster, for the range. Then a range holster, you don't need retention.
    People to this day, still don't know how to properly draw from one.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    SERPAs are prohibited by my Sept for off-duty use. As Blaster notes, people tend to screw up drawing from them.

kenjeep

Mar 16, 2010
    Hampstead
    It's a SERPA. I would never use a SERPA on a belt loop. At best it's a decent paddle holster, for the range. Then a range holster, you don't need retention.
    People to this day, still don't know how to properly draw from one.
    Thanks for the spelling correction. Can you explain why you wouldn't use on a belt?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Thanks for the spelling correction. Can you explain why you wouldn't use on a belt?
    Not on a 1.5 belt, with the belt loop option. it's just not stable enough. I think the belt loop holster"thingies" are too close together. Now, on a belt(whatever size it adjusts to 2.25" maybe?) Duty belt is fine.
    In a paddle is fine with 1.5" belt because that SERPA paddle is big and takes up plenty of inside the pants for stability. I used one for my range holster for a long time.
    That's been my experience.
    I think knowing how to use the SERPA(and the like) is key.
    But all in all, it's best suited for a range holster, and range holsters don't need retention.
    I'm not a retention holster fan. Unless you're a cop and everyday single contact you make could lead to a physical fight, then they are imperative.

But, that trigger finger just needs to slide lightly over the actuator, and not be pressed in with the finger tip.
    When that happens, the finger tip stays curved, sinks into the trigger guard, and then the trigger gets pressed.
    It's definitely user error and not holster issue.

ICW2019

Mar 8, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    If its owb and you plan on keeping it in open sight at all times then you need active retention. Don't give someone the opportunity to take your weapon.

ICW2019

Mar 8, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    The carrier gives someone the opportunity, the holster doesn't.
    While you and I may have situational awareness and keep the head on a swivel, many others don't. There's no negative in recommending people to use active retention if you're open carrying. If it gives you another second to react to a failed removal from your holster then it's worth it.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    *IF* you train with the SERPA to draw properly, there's no issue. The draw comes up properly indexed, again IF you do it properly...

I have Serpa Paddles, I also have Safariland ALS I like and the aliengear OWB with thumb drive. Lastly, I have a snap top 3 slot leather. All depends on the position and carry I'm doing. And I have practiced drawing from each dozens of times to be proficient.

I do not recommend friction fit kydex level 1, soft sleeve OR generic level 1 leathers. I do have a homemade range kydex, but I'd never rely on it for carry

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom