• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    I want to tell you about a wonderful family event that took place in Brookville Pennsylvania yesterday.

It was called the Brookville Open Carry Walk and so many people showed up despite the cold that the police and fire department had to stop traffic for a time.

Notably absent were any counter protestors. Despite calls by the anti-gun group CeaseFirePA, not a single counter protestor showed up. I guess CeaseFirePA’s 7 members were busy elsewhere.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Hey, let's go counter-protest a whole bunch of armed people!! :lol2:

Sad thing is, they think WE are the one's who are nuts and are afraid we will shoot them.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Why not do this in MD?

Pennsylvania Law states that it is legal to open carry a firearm without a license outside of the city limits of Philadelphia.

Maryland Law requires a license to carry a firearm either openly or concealed.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Why not do this in MD?

Because I have an aversion to being (assuming I'm not shot first) thrown on the ground, handcuffed, tossed in the back of a paddywagon, locked in a cage (with god knows who), arraigned, posting bail, hiring a lawyer, paying a huge fine (if I'm lucky), getting a criminal record for the first time in my life at 53, and losing my ability to ever own a firearm again.

(And I have a permit!)

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Pennsylvania Law states that it is legal to open carry a firearm without a license outside of the city limits of Philadelphia.

Maryland Law requires a license to carry a firearm either openly or concealed.

and said license is very difficult to get, as it is awarded or withheld mainly based on the whims of the MSP

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    from where I am sitting this looked as real as the Christmas Parade in Disney World .... then a I scrolled down ....

Brookville_Family.jpg

thanks for posting and sharing ....

ThatIsAFact

Mar 5, 2007
    Because I have an aversion to being (assuming I'm not shot first) thrown on the ground, handcuffed, tossed in the back of a paddywagon, locked in a cage (with god knows who), arraigned, posting bail, hiring a lawyer, paying a huge fine (if I'm lucky), getting a criminal record for the first time in my life at 53, and losing my ability to ever own a firearm again.(And I have a permit!)

If you have a Maryland carry permit, then you would not be in violation of the Maryland handgun law by carrying openly in a holster. As gprim1 already noted, the Maryland law on carrying a handgun (Criminal Law Article Section 4-203) makes no distinction whatever been open carry and concealed carry. A person who has a permit, restricted or otherwise, cannot violate this law merely by carrying a holstered handgun.

However, the Maryland State Police have long made it clear to permit holders that their permits may be revoked for displaying a handgun in a manner likely to engender public fear.

So, a uniformed security guard with a Maryland carry permit can and does carry openly, and this is acceptable to the MSP because people expect to see that and it excites no public fear. (I have examined such permits and they make no reference to open carry or concealed carry.) A non-uniformed, civilian permit holder who did the same would be at high risk of losing his permit after somebody called the police to investigate, because the MSP would probably conclude that he was engaged in behavior that was bound to stir things up, since people in Maryland are not used to seeing non-uniformed folks carrying handguns.

marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    If you have a Maryland carry permit, then you would not be in violation of the Maryland handgun law by carrying openly in a holster. As gprim1 already noted, the Maryland law on carrying a handgun (Criminal Law Article Section 4-203) makes no distinction whatever been open carry and concealed carry. A person who has a permit, restricted or otherwise, cannot violate this law merely by carrying a holstered handgun.

However, the Maryland State Police have long made it clear to permit holders that their permits may be revoked for displaying a handgun in a manner likely to engender public fear.

So, a uniformed security guard with a Maryland carry permit can and does carry openly, and this is acceptable to the MSP because people expect to see that and it excites no public fear. (I have examined such permits and they make no reference to open carry or concealed carry.) A non-uniformed, civilian permit holder who did the same would be at high risk of losing his permit after somebody called the police to investigate, because the MSP would probably conclude that he was engaged in behavior that was bound to stir things up, since people in Maryland are not used to seeing non-uniformed folks carrying handguns.

I was under the impression that you could open carry a LONG GUN in MD without a permit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom