• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I don’t see the point of OC when you can CC. Just raises too many possible issues and brings up to much attention to yourself.
    Yes, but the good thing about MDs permit it is a wear and carry which means less trouble if your gun gets exposed by mistake like reaching up to the shelf for the box of lucky charms at the local food lion.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I shot a Falling Steel match up at the AGC this morning so I left the house with my shirt tucked in and a 320 in a dead cow holster in it's usual spot and made a stop for a bagel. Four employees at the Dunkin Donuts in Elkridge (the OG, not the new one by Mutiny) didn't notice or didn't care, same with the guy waiting for his coffee and the soccer mom who came in to pick up her order that was on the counter.
    It is Elkridge until the 80s it was pretty much farm land.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Comar is as clear as my teenage face.

it begs the question, what does "display" mean in the context of a rest stop. is a holstered pistol "displayed"?
    Display = OC
    Displayed…
    Anyone can see it.

Concealed = covered
    Out of sight…
    No one need to know, but you.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Yes, but the good thing about MDs permit it is a wear and carry which means less trouble if your gun gets exposed by mistake like reaching up to the shelf for the box of lucky charms at the local food lion.
    yea, I agree. That’s one part Maryland got right, although I’m sure completely by accident.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I shot a Falling Steel match up at the AGC this morning so I left the house with my shirt tucked in and a 320 in a dead cow holster in it's usual spot and made a stop for a bagel. Four employees at the Dunkin Donuts in Elkridge (the OG, not the new one by Mutiny) didn't notice or didn't care, same with the guy waiting for his coffee and the soccer mom who came in to pick up her order that was on the counter.
    Excellent! This is how it is in PA and DE.

Samlab

Feb 14, 2018
    Down by the riverside
    Teratos you are freaking hysterical we could never be in the same room at the same table it would be a laughathon. Our faces would hurt from smileitis from being so funny.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I don't see much point in OC other than flexing your 2A muscles, and comfort.

CC always for me. I don't want people to know I'm armed, and I don't know why anyone would want other people to know.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I don't see much point in OC other than flexing your 2A muscles, and comfort.

CC always for me. I don't want people to know I'm armed, and I don't know why anyone would want other people to know.
    OWB is what I refer to as open. It might not be what other people think of. You can still make guns disappear and be more comfy with OWB carry.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    OWB is what I refer to as open. It might not be what other people think of. You can still make guns disappear and be more comfy with OWB carry.
    Oh. I thought the OP was talking about visible carry versus invisible carry. If we're just talking OWB vs IWB then yeah, OWB is great if you can conceal it.

Also your opinion is worthless because of your post count man.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Oh. I thought the OP was talking about visible carry versus invisible carry. If we're just talking OWB vs IWB then yeah, OWB is great if you can conceal it.

Also your opinion is worthless because of your post count man.
    That's what I refer to as open carry. OWB. YMMV.

Still trying to figure out how to get my post count down...

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    That's what I refer to as open carry. OWB. YMMV.

Still trying to figure out how to get my post count down...
    OWB outside waistband on the belt holster carry
    IWB inside waistband carry

Open carry... both IWB and OWB methods are not covered by a garment
    Concealed..... both options covered by a garment

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    OWB outside waistband on the belt holster carry
    IWB inside waistband carry

Open carry... both IWB and OWB methods are not covered by a garment
    Concealed..... both options covered by a garment
    So my definition is wrong. I'll rectify that in my head.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    "OWB" does NOT mean "Open Carry", although some OWB holsters are simply not meant to be concealed under normal clothing. I have some BladeTech OWB 'gaming' holsters that work great for three-gun, etc., but would never fly for daily carry.

I'm not a fan of open carry due to making one a priority target and the potential retention problem, not to mention the public opinion/reaction. I believe it should be legal, but I normally don't want to do it myself. Exceptions might be hiking/hunting/fishing, but not general wear in public.

A well designed OWB can still be concealed with the right clothing and some OWB rigs hide the gun as well as many IWB rigs. My current OWB holds the gun in tighter to my side and a little higher than my SuperTuck and is actually a little easier to hide with untucked shirts. Plus, OWBs don't make your pants fit funny, a real concern for those of us with slimmer builds.

I tried several IWB holsters, including a SuperTuck, and both revolvers and semi-autos, and eventually went to a compact semi-auto in an OWB for comfort.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    My instructor said several times "You're not walking around like a cowboy."

I thought "Well, I could!"

il_794xN.345837819 (1).jpg

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

*****Yes this. I have OWB'd before (3 o'clock) in colder weather (for purposes of this discussion only I will use OWB as using a cover garment though this is not traditional definition..as I was taught..just think concealed..) as it is much more comfortable for me as I am a skinny little douch-nozzle who likes to wear skinny jeans. I appendix carry in hotter weather IWB but it's just not that comfortable as I am so bony. I have different cover garments that work well for me in the Winter and colder months, but hot weather my cover garment is just a button down shirt with a simple print that doesn't scream "shoot me first, I am armed.." .

After the Indiana mall shooting, me and some of our other RSO's and QHIC folks will be at the range this weekend discussing cover garments, different carry options, as well as how we present everything in our W&C classes. We are changing up some of our instruction as we are seeing *way* more beginners versus folks that have experience with firearms. We think after the Indiana thing as well as Bruen, that more people will be inclined to go for their W&C here in Maryland as a viable option, versus the recent past. There seems to be a wide variety of experiences coming in to our classes now and we are looking at possibly separating more experienced folks in some fashion and providing instruction beyond our normal curriculum and discussing more active shooter scenarios, unorthodox shooting positions, and additional instruction regarding concealment vs cover. Also, backstops and avoiding collateral damage, richochets, shooting through obstacles, plus additional malfunction (FTF) drills, and low light shooting techniques, etc..

Everybody will still get tested the same so we finish everything according to the gatekeepers (Maryland W&C requirements..), but I don't see the harm in teaching folks that are clearly beyond basic NRA pistol classes (basic sight alignment, this is the muzzle end, this is a magazine, this is a revolver, these are the parts of a modern cartridge, etc..) perhaps things they may not have thought about, or to try different holsters, or carry options (IWB, OWB, Prison Pocket, etc..)

Big brainstorming session this weekend. Our classes are packed through the rest of the year already. Amazing turn of events thanks to the Supreme Court decision. Really pleased more people will be able to exercise their 2A rights after jumping through the MD W&C hoops to get that certificate. :thumbsup:

YVDpNR.jpg
    2nd.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom