• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbbieshelt

Jun 26, 2009
    Simple Pleasures Farm
    Guys I'm looking for a open red dot sight for my boy for Christmas. I'm planing on putting it on a sub 2000 or an AR for him. I'm looking for something cheap but good. It will be broken within a year or so. 10 year olds are tough on stuff. What should I keep my eye on or what do you guys have for sale if you have upgraded to a eotech?

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    You can find a Vortex Strikefire used for around 100$. I wouldn't go any cheaper than that. They are well made and hold up to abuse well.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    The Leatherwood Hi-Lux is a decent sight. Leatherwood makes scopes for the military, and some of their scopes from the Vietnam era are still in use (according to their website). This model is made in China, of course. :sad20:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/leatherwood-hi-lux-optics-1x30mm-red-dot-tactical-sight-es1x30tp.html

The sight is well made from aluminum, with very positive detents on reticule brightness and adjustments. There is no on/off switch, so you need to cycle through the brightness levels every time you turn the sight on, which is annoying. I'd get the 30mm and stay away from the 50mm sight; its huge and heavy.

There is a little parallax from the sight at close range, and the rear cover on mine pops up a little too easily; but for $77 and free shipping its not a bad sight. I honestly wouldn't say its as good as a Strikefire, but at 1/3 the price its a good starter sight.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Guys I'm looking for a open red dot sight for my boy for Christmas. I'm planing on putting it on a sub 2000 or an AR for him. I'm looking for something cheap but good. It will be broken within a year or so. 10 year olds are tough on stuff. What should I keep my eye on or what do you guys have for sale if you have upgraded to a eotech?

If you put on optic on the sub 2000 you will have to take it off every time you fold it up, or live without fold it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom