• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    It's a Lightfield "Hybred Magnum" 20 guage. 40 yards. First one I've ever recovered too. I shot a doe last Saturday and it had no exit wound either. About 80 yards. But I was in a rush and never looked for the slug.

I simply do not like slugs that turn in to shrapnel. I like a hard hitting solid chuck of lead that mushrooms well and holds together. As for exit wounds... there is no need for debating exit wounds. As long as you punch a hole in to the vitals an exit wound is of no requirement. Rarely have I ever gotten an exit wound from any of my deer.

The Remington BuckHammers I use in 20 gauge will certainly produce and exit wound, the Deer I got Sunday evening (Dec. 2) had an exit wound, and that shot was at about 35 yards. I just happened to notice the exit while butchering the deer, but, it meant nothing to me.

I have no issues with the Lightfield slugs, but, I don't care for the idea that that specific slug dissolved like it did. I stopped using sabot slugs for the fact that they like to disintegrate and find their way in to the meat. I don't want to chew on copper plated lead. Therefore I went back to the closest thing I could get in a solid lead slug for rifled barrels.

The slug below is a Remington BuckHammer in 20 Gauge from a previous deer. Solid chunk of lead that turned the boiler room in to soup. I have never had a deer get past 40 yards since I started using these slugs.

These slugs are not pretty and they are highly under rated, but, I will guarantee they are consistently accurate at 100 yards in 3" groups. I've shot enough of these slugs to know that if the shot is bad it's the shooter fault.

Attachments

• FULL MOON BUCK NOV 26, 2012 REM BH 20 GA.jpg
      FULL MOON BUCK NOV 26, 2012 REM BH 20 GA.jpg
      36.7 KB · Views: 202
    • BUCKHAMMER.jpg
      BUCKHAMMER.jpg
      18.7 KB · Views: 203
    Last edited:

jmitche4

Jan 25, 2012
    Got this doe on Friday afternoon at about 4:00. Shot her at about 75 yards. Weighed in around 130 dressed, so about 160 full!!

Attachments

• deer.jpg
      deer.jpg
      63.5 KB · Views: 176

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Congrat on the doe! Good eating there for sure.

Weight might be a little off, took this guy to the butcher to get cut up, plopped it on their scales and the scales read 128 pounds field dressed. He looks a little bigger than the doe in the pic. :)

DSCN0799.jpg

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Got this doe on Friday afternoon at about 4:00. Shot her at about 75 yards. Weighed in around 130 dressed, so about 160 full!!
    I dunno bout the weight it doesnt look like it weighs that much...its not meaty enough...maybe 110 full
    Congrats on the meat in the freezer, no way that deer weighs over 100lbs dressed though lol.

:thumbsup:

just because you see it on the scale doesnt mean the scale is correct...just saying

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I just keep laughing over the doe fawn that was laying on the scale one day at my local butcher. Dressed weight 36 lbs. I do believe it was a donation for the food bank, so probably was all ground, whatever there was after deboning.

Now I did get in a buck with a HUGE head/neck this season, but he only dressed at 150. Very little fat on him though. They can lose alot of weight while rutting. Biggest bucks I've gotten in outside those giant midwestern bucks and Canadian bucks, were over 200lbs dressed, I think 2 were about 220lbs. They were bow kills taken right when the rut was just starting.

I once got in a sika stag that dressed at 108.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    I just keep laughing over the doe fawn that was laying on the scale one day at my local butcher. Dressed weight 36 lbs. I do believe it was a donation for the food bank, so probably was all ground, whatever there was after deboning.

Now I did get in a buck with a HUGE head/neck this season, but he only dressed at 150. Very little fat on him though. They can lose alot of weight while rutting. Biggest bucks I've gotten in outside those giant midwestern bucks and Canadian bucks, were over 200lbs dressed, I think 2 were about 220lbs. They were bow kills taken right when the rut was just starting.

I once got in a sika stag that dressed at 108.

Last year on opening day when I took my 11 pointer to the butcher he had a fawn hanging skinned when I walked in. I was like Jesus who shot their dog. Not that it bothered me one bit but the minimum charge is $75 lol. Just blew me away someone would pay that kinda money for maybe 10lbs-15lbs of meat.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    SOMD not a chance in hell. I saw the deer in person and it weighed at least 130. STOP BEING A D**K.

First of all. I have never in my life seen a deer like that weight that much.

Second of all, if you have to talk like that then go somewhere else. I am not being a Duck ( I am quaking at your immaturity however )

I got my 8 pointer this past shotgun season which is twice the size of that little deer being discussed at it only weighed in at 133 on an actual calibrated scale, so, if you think you're going to pass that little deer off at 130 pounds, you got more Shyt with you than a sewer plant partner.

NOW, if you can factually prove to me that the deer weighed 130 pounds dressed and not tell us that, "it weighed at least 130" then we'll believe you. I don't much give a rats ass what you "think it atleast weighed" I know what a deer that size actually weighs on average from actually weighing them and not "guesstimating" what it at least weighs. "Atleast" is nothing more than eyeballing a level line.

I think you may have a bad case of "rear view mirror syndrome" which makes objects appear larger than they actually are. I'd suggest Hour Eyes or Lasik Plus to correct your problem. Maybe it's the Camera Adds Extra Pounds Syndrome. I don't know, but, it ain't truth.

There is no blind fold, or enough magic fairy dust in this world that is ever going to make me, or anyone else believe, that deer weighed 130 dressed.

As Mr. Purdue used to say, "That's just crazy talk".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom