• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • svana

NRA Life Member
    Dec 28, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    I've got the opportunity to take a look at what appears to be a Savage 111 Trophy Hunter (didn't get a good description) in 30-06. The pictures aren't great on it so I'm only deducing from what I can see, but it doesn't look like it's got an Accutrigger on it, meaning it was made before 2002, no? It's got a 4-16 optic on it (again, no information), black plastic stock and would guess a 22" barrel on it. I know there are plenty of savage vs rem threads out there but all are covering newer rifles and many say that Savage has gotten much better over time. Does anybody have any input on how the older Savages performed?

The kicker to the deal is that he's only asking $300 for it, and may be able to negotiate down with him. I feel like it may be a deal, but don't want to buy something that may not be a reliable product. A picture of his grouping is pretty good, but the guy didn't put the distance on it. He seems to miss a lot of information on his stuff lol. I'd appreciate any input.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Accu-triggers aren't standard on every offering.

If you can get the serial number, you can look it up on Savage's part finder and get the month/year of manufacture.

Even if it's the older 4.275" action spacing, there's plenty of options available for it, from triggers to long action bottom metal.

svana

NRA Life Member
    Dec 28, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    Accu-triggers aren't standard on every offering.

If you can get the serial number, you can look it up on Savage's part finder and get the month/year of manufacture.

Even if it's the older 4.275" action spacing, there's plenty of options available for it, from triggers to long action bottom metal.

Interesting, I thought all of the newer savages came with the AT. If it's a newer rifle, I would assume it'd be worth the price, no?

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    The newer accu-trigger Savages are an improvement naturally, but the older Savage rifles perform just fine, I had an older non accu-trigger 110FP that was a tack driver.

The rifle you're describing sort of sounds like one of the "hunter packages" (ie. rifle/scope combo) that were and still are sold at big box stores like Walmart, Bass Pro, Academy, and others. You are not going to set any long range accuracy records with one of these, accu-trigger or not, but they're good solid rifles that should be more than adequate for the average deer hunter or casual target shooter.

I've owned both Remingtons and Savages, and as for any comparison between the two I doubt you'd find much if any difference accuracy or reliability wise for rifles in the same class and price point.

If the rifle speaks to you, and you can negotiate a price you are satisfied with, then I would say go for it. Savage also has a good reputation for customer service and support, should the need ever arise.

svana

NRA Life Member
    Dec 28, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    Thanks for the insight. I had planned on picking up a rifle that I could take out from the start, but eventually build it up as time goes on. Stock, optic, trigger, etc.. I would think that it would be a box store special, but I didn't think they'd tack on a 4-16 scope.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Interesting, I thought all of the newer savages came with the AT. If it's a newer rifle, I would assume it'd be worth the price, no?

IMO, even without the AT - if you can come to an agreeable price, then it's a deal.

I've watched many other people sell used Savages for more than what he's asking.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Thanks for the insight. I had planned on picking up a rifle that I could take out from the start, but eventually build it up as time goes on. Stock, optic, trigger, etc.. I would think that it would be a box store special, but I didn't think they'd tack on a 4-16 scope.

The scopes I've seen on most of those "hunter packages" are inexpensive Chinese made 3x9's, so it wouldn't be surprising at all if the owner swapped it out for something a little nicer.

svana

NRA Life Member
    Dec 28, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    Just heard from the guy, it's a barska 4-16 scope, probably a throwaway. Internal box mag. He's supposedly pretty firm at 300, I suppose it's still a decent deal for the rifle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Savages, even in their lower dollar incarnations, are by and large extremely accurate riffles to shoot boolits out of

they have gotten better as time has gone on- now even most of their super cheapie line is sub MOA out of the box, but that does not mean that older savage rifles are bad- for a long time they were, and still are, pretty much one of the best bang-for-your-buck ratio

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    barska has some decent scopes. Not great, but they won't fall apart and will generally hold zero quite well.

Anyways, if the rifling looks solid and there's no frost in the bore I'd say 300 including the optic isn't too bad.

I'd see if you can wiggle him down, but you're not screwing yourself by taking it for 300, especially if it's already sighted in. Just make sure to hit that bore with some protectant when in storage- I don't know why but Savage bores, at least on the newer axis and edge models, seem to frost pretty quick- granted this can generally be wiped away with no ill effects, but why even chance it when you can just hit the bore with some mil-comm or other good bore oil and just rest easy knowing it's fine.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    barska has some decent scopes. Not great, but they won't fall apart and will generally hold zero quite well.

Agreed. I've owned a number of them over the years and found them to be decent scopes for the money. As long as this one hasn't been abused or something it should serve adequately for most purposes.

svana

NRA Life Member
    Dec 28, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    Well, just added it the Savage to the collection. It's a 111 30-06 with a blind mag and a Barksa 4-16 scope thats surprisingly better than I expected. The stock flexes like a 16 year old olympic gymnast, but that's not unexpected. It'll probably be the first thing that goes, but for now I'm sure this rifle will outshoot me for a little while. Trigger is really crisp, no play whatsoever. Action is really stiff (in a good way), bordering on getting a little hung up (in a bad way), there's a little bit of play in the bolt when it's fully opened, but I expected that. Barrel interior is in great shape, a bit of a nick on the exterior but nothing major. All in all it looks like it'll be a solid shooter. The target picture is supposedly of the previous owner at 100yds.

IMG_0283_zps5845876c.jpg

IMG_0282_zps65e51ea3.jpg

IMG_0281_zps51357fa1.jpg

IMG_0280_zps89721e3f.jpg

IMG_0279_zps61ffc304.jpg

10961878_846395532065683_846851066_n_zps8ae87f95.jpg

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    I have an older 111 w/o at, it has a removable box mag, and an adjustable trigger. It was a package, came with 3x9 Simmons scope, I shoot clover leafs @ 100 with corelokt. Enjoy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom