• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nighthawk2099

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2006
    Backwoods, SouthWest Arkansas
    Story Here

MEDFORD, Ore. (AP) - The Medford Mail Tribune has sued the sheriff for a list of concealed handgun licenses in Jackson County, hoping to determine how many are held by teachers.

The newspaper said it wants to determine the impact of a ruling in another suit, brought by English teacher Shirley Katz. She has a permit and wants to be able to carry a gun to class.

Sheriff Mike Winters said he would oppose the newspaper's lawsuit, filed last week.

For both privacy and safety reasons, Winters said, "I don't believe it's anyone's business who possesses a concealed handgun license."

The newspaper does not plan to publish the names of license holders, said Mail Tribune Editor Bob Hunter. It wants the information for research about how far-reaching a ruling on the Katz lawsuit could be.

There are about 6,500 license holders in Jackson County, according to the sheriff's office.

"We feel Sheriff Winters is allowing his personal feelings to interfere with his duty to enforce the law," Hunter said. "This is information bought and paid for by the public, and the public has a right to it."

He said the Multnomah County sheriff's office released a similar list to newspapers.

The director of the gun rights group that has financed Katz's lawsuit against the Medford School District, which bans employees from bringing guns on campus, said that as a matter of law, handgun licenses are a public record.

"Obviously, I'd like to see those people's privacy protected, but I doubt (Sheriff Winters) has any legal justification for withholding what is a public record," said Kevin Starrett, director of the Oregon Firearms Education Foundation.

Jackson County Circuit Court Judge Philip Arnold heard oral arguments Thursday on Katz's challenge, but had not issued a ruling.

Contact Them Here

I just told them how STUPID this is. Maybe if enough people flood their comments with the same, they'll back off.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I don't have a problem with releasing the DATA, such as "x number of teachers, and y number of firefighters", but the personal info is out of the question.

edit: And I just told them that.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    I don't have a problem with releasing the DATA, such as "x number of teachers, and y number of firefighters", but the personal info is out of the question.
    When was the last time, you gave a dog a taste of what you had and the dog walked away happy? (think food) ;)

nighthawk2099

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2006
    Backwoods, SouthWest Arkansas
    Well, you could always do what the paper is telling me they did.

Request the list as research. According to the paper, the law is on your side since the information is considered public info. Just make the justification portion of the data part of your request. According to the person I talked with at the paper, the request covers who, where and when (Name, address, date received/renewed, etc.). So with a FOIA request to MSP, you could ask for the same information (Who, Where, When and Why).

If you think about it, it would be for research since it will be used to find new ways to come at the MD congress to pass a true Shall Issue bill.

P.S.

I think I made the person mad that I talked to. He said that the information would never be published and I called BS. He got upset and said he had to go. :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom