• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Ok, maybe I can ask this clearly. Or not.

Let's say you are a MD W&C instructor who holds classes.
    Let's say you have students who ask if you "teach" other state "classes".
    Here's the confusion.
    Which states require an actual class given with their requirements classroom only or classroom and/or their own course of fire?

and

Which states can you just tell the student "These X states you can apply to online without any instruction/physical classes.

Literally asking for a friend to tell him what other states would be good for him to offer. Just giving him a place to start looking.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Ok, maybe I can ask this clearly. Or not.

Let's say you are a MD W&C instructor who holds classes.
    Let's say you have students who ask if you "teach" other state "classes".
    Here's the confusion.
    Which states require an actual class given with their requirements classroom only or classroom and/or their own course of fire?

and

Which states can you just tell the student "These X states you can apply to online without any instruction/physical classes.

Literally asking for a friend to tell him what other states would be good for him to offer. Just giving him a place to start looking.
    PA is like the bolded, but you must have your home state's permit to get the PA permit.

And AFAIK, you must go to a PA county sheriff's office to pick up the permit.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    So what I'm gathering is that it's really Utah that requires some sort of Utah certification.
    Yes.

Looks like he may have to go there:

All that is required for a person to become a Utah Concealed firearms instructor is that they first become a basic pistol instructor through a nationally recognized course, such as the NRA. After that the pistol instructor can take a 4 hour course through the Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification, (BCI). That is it.

tjohn55

LDO for CNO!
    Jan 13, 2016
    Willards, MD
    Yes.

Looks like he may have to go there:

All that is required for a person to become a Utah Concealed firearms instructor is that they first become a basic pistol instructor through a nationally recognized course, such as the NRA. After that the pistol instructor can take a 4 hour course through the Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification, (BCI). That is it.
    I've had my Utah instructor license for 6 years. I had to go to Utah to attend their instructor class. I believe that requirement to be the same. https://bci.utah.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/15/2021/10/CFinstructor_new.pdf

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    GA is fill out the form in your county, pay "x" amount, get fingerprinted, and wait 2 weeks to a month. They do a background check, and you are given the card. No training, no live fire. Good for 5 years. Leaves me a little leery about people's abilities and understanding of the law, but there is little violent crime in my neck of the woods. ATL, that's pretty much GA's version of Baltimore (We don't go to Atlanta unless we have to, if so, pack an extra mag).

Q

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    If I was an instructor in this area, this is what I would want to be certified for:

NRA Pistol
    MD
    D.C.
    UT
    MA

As a NRA/MD/D.C. Instructor I would craft a combined Class/Classes which would cover MD, D.C., FL, CT, ME, VA, and AZ in one shot.

I could then offer add-ons like:
    RI (Separate Qual)
    UT (Separate Class)
     MA (Separate Class & Qual)

I would have listed NJ (Separate Qual) but their training and instructor process is about to change and will likely require classes being taken in NJ.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    If I was an instructor in this area, this is what I would want to be certified for:

NRA Pistol
    MD
    D.C.
    UT
    MA

As a NRA/MD/D.C. Instructor I would craft a combined Class/Classes which would cover MD, D.C., FL, CT, ME, VA, and AZ in one shot.

I could then offer add-ons like:
    RI (Separate Qual)
    UT (Separate Class)
     MA (Separate Class & Qual)

I would have listed NJ (Separate Qual) but their training and instructor process is about to change and will likely require classes being taken in NJ.
    i'll think about it once i retire , i don't know how anyone keeps up with a full time job !

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    It seems everyone around here teaches MD/VA/DC in one class. It makes someone looking for only one jurisdiction suffer through convoluted laws from all 3 areas but it does fill the seats in the class.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    It seems everyone around here teaches MD/VA/DC in one class. It makes someone looking for only one jurisdiction suffer through convoluted laws from all 3 areas but it does fill the seats in the class.
    Where is "here"? I only know of a few teaching the combined class, it should not be hard at all to find a single jurisdiction class.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I have said this many times, there is no such thing as a multi state course. I have spoken with the state agencies and they all want their time. That being said, some states will accept various forms of training such as the Md 16 hour course. Florida for example will accept the 16 hour course you took as training for their permit.

If an instructor if charging you more for a Md/Florida combo class with a side of fries you are getting ripped off. Do the research, be educated. Or do whatever you want, what do I know.....................

TD

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Where is "here"? I only know of a few teaching the combined class, it should not be hard at all to find a single jurisdiction class.
    This.

I don't see many teaching the combined MD/DC classes. They were so difficult for me to find that I had to take separate MD and DC classes.

Slhaney

Sep 8, 2019
    Street, MD
    PA is like the bolded, but you must have your home state's permit to get the PA permit.

And AFAIK, you must go to a PA county sheriff's office to pick up the permit.
    That is correct as far as PA. Also important to note is that not all county sheriffs in PA will process non resident permits. Best to check the website of the county you choose or call to ask ahead of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom