• ...and so much more!
  • ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    This is good news but the fact that its not like 30 or 35 tells me there are a lot of states that think this is a states rights or political issue, not a constitutional one.. What states are not on the list that you might expect to see? TN. TX. MS. North Dakota.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    It’s a start but this list should be bigger. Where are TX, NC, TN, etc? Still, hopefully SCOTUS will take this and vote in our favor. With the 9th’s decision and over 40 other states allowing carry of some sort, I can’t see how they could vote against this outside of pushing politics from the bench.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    This is good news but the fact that its not like 30 or 35 tells me there are a lot of states that think this is a states rights or political issue, not a constitutional one.. What states are not on the list that you might expect to see? TN. TX. MS. North Dakota.

The 2nd amendment to the US Constitution is a states rights issue? How odd that it would be in the United States Constitution then.

I suspect that most states haven't chimed in because this is still the early stage. If it is granted cert, I suspect more states will join in.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The 2nd amendment to the US Constitution is a states rights issue? How odd that it would be in the United States Constitution then.

I suspect that most states haven't chimed in because this is still the early stage. If it is granted cert, I suspect more states will join in.

Texas is the one that comes to mind offhand (recall NRA v. McGraw). What I mean by states rights is that some ostensibly pro-gun states like Texas want to preserve as much discretion as possible to regulate guns and specify what crimes make one prohibited. Texas is not as pro-gun as people say it is and would be concerned if the SCT said it had to allow unlicensed open carry of handguns (as some people have interpreted the traditional right to carry). Imagine they granted Embody, and that was the outcome. Imagine they supported a brief in Drake, with the side effect that Embody got taken and decided in favor on Embody.

The Texas constitution actually says "Every citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms in the lawful defense of himself or the State; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime." There is a possibility that the Federal 2A is broader than the Texas one, and Texas may have a problem with that. I am picking on Texas, but I could see a few other progun states having the same issue - they do not want SCT to go to far, and they could care less whether people in NJ can carry (just move to Texas!).

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Yea this is basically a dupe. The main thread following Drake has all of this covered unless you want to make it strictly about the brief.
    Why only 19 states? It could be a Dem AG (in a red state) not wanting to join, or in some cases a red state gets sued for 2A violations, so they'll elect to stay mum as opposed to getting their own brief used against them. Still a good showing IMO.

ProGunBaller

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 10, 2014
    Texas is the one that comes to mind offhand (recall NRA v. McGraw). What I mean by states rights is that some ostensibly pro-gun states like Texas want to preserve as much discretion as possible to regulate guns and specify what crimes make one prohibited. Texas is not as pro-gun as people say it is and would be concerned if the SCT said it had to allow unlicensed open carry of handguns (as some people have interpreted the traditional right to carry). Imagine they granted Embody, and that was the outcome. Imagine they supported a brief in Drake, with the side effect that Embody got taken and decided in favor on Embody.

The Texas constitution actually says "Every citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms in the lawful defense of himself or the State; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime." There is a possibility that the Federal 2A is broader than the Texas one, and Texas may have a problem with that. I am picking on Texas, but I could see a few other progun states having the same issue - they do not want SCT to go to far, and they could care less whether people in NJ can carry (just move to Texas!).

The AGs from the states that did file amicus briefs are right. If the 2nd Amendment is held not to protect carry, then (with the absurdly expansive view of the Commerce Clause), Congress could prohibit concealed carry by making it a federal crime to carry a firearm that has been transported in interstate commerce. That's basically the jurisdiction hook they used in the hate crimes statute (18 USC 249) and in the Gun Free School Zones Act (18 USC 922(q)).

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    The AGs from the states that did file amicus briefs are right. If the 2nd Amendment is held not to protect carry, then (with the absurdly expansive view of the Commerce Clause), Congress could prohibit concealed carry by making it a federal crime to carry a firearm that has been transported in interstate commerce. That's basically the jurisdiction hook they used in the hate crimes statute (18 USC 249) and in the Gun Free School Zones Act (18 USC 922(q)).

Wrong, they can do that today and there would be no precedent stopping them.

kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012
    Wrong, they can do that today and there would be no precedent stopping them.

If the 2nd Amendment protects carry, then Congress couldn't do that, because the 2nd Amendment, being an amendment, overrides the Commerce Clause to whatever degree they conflict with each other.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Right, that's my point. The state attorneys general are trying to establish that precedent.

They are finally getting a clue that bad law in one state leads to bad law federally. About f..ing time...

And yes they could outlaw carry at a federal level ( witness the GFSZ nonsense ) They could ban carry on any interstate ..

But that would lead to the con con that would likely expel a fair number of blue states :)

They know it. For now.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    They are finally getting a clue that bad law in one state leads to bad law federally. About f..ing time...

And yes they could outlaw carry at a federal level ( witness the GFSZ nonsense ) They could ban carry on any interstate ..

But that would lead to the con con that would likely expel a fair number of blue states :)

They know it. For now.

As my friend Anthony Colandro likes to say - what happens in NJ, doesn't stay in NJ.

Look at Eric Holder talking about "bracelets." What he is really talking about is the Armatix IP1 and NJ's smart gun law, which he wants to push nationwide.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    As my friend Anthony Colandro likes to say - what happens in NJ, doesn't stay in NJ.

Look at Eric Holder talking about "bracelets." What he is really talking about is the Armatix IP1 and NJ's smart gun law, which he wants to push nationwide.

Well it looks like the other states are starting to join the fight. We will need them for the con con ..

This country can not survive too much more without a fracture leading to a crisis .

I have been telling folks in other states that its coming .. I can not shirk the duty to be ready for the con con even if it leads to the end of the union.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    I assume you mean to the free states ?? I all seriousness any lover of freedom must have a bug out plan. I think we can still pull it off,but I always have an exit plan if I need it.. Its just prudent ..

Absolutely. I can't imagine what kind of communist hell NJ will become if it's unconstrained by the US Constitution. I am hoping my county will decide to secede and join the free states.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom