• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I’m hoping eventually they will.

To me the $400+ makes it not worth it just for MD.
    It won't be just for MD. While MD does not recognize any other state's permits, there are other states that do recognize a MD permit.
    The only way MD will ever recognize a permit for another state with be if they are forced to by a court.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    It won't be just for MD. While MD does not recognize any other state's permits, there are other states that do recognize a MD permit.
    The only way MD will ever recognize a permit for another state with be if they are forced to by a court.

Quite a few states accept the Maryland permit, including Virginia.

And while Pennsylvania does not, they will issue a Pennsylvania permit to a Maryland permit holder for $20.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    I understand that but everywhere I go is currently covered by my WV CHL

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Here is a screenshot of the Maryland page at Handgunlaw.us.

All the bluish states honor the Maryland permit.

Screenshot_20220710-201348_OneDrive.jpg

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    WEST VIRGINIA has set Maryland up for a challenge. It will go straight to SCOTUS

Sent from an undisclosed location.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I thought you were a Marylander.

No, your option is to save your money and avoid Maryland. My Utah permit gets me better coverage, but I live in Maryland. And if I don’t get a Maryland permit, I suspect Utah will refuse to renew my permit in 2024.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD

No, your option is to save your money and avoid Maryland. My Utah permit gets me better coverage, but I live in Maryland. And if I don’t get a Maryland permit, I suspect Utah will refuse to renew my permit in 2024.
    No they won't.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Why would Utah refuse to issue you a permit?
    One thing I don't get is that SC is listed as not accepting a MD Resident permit, MD doesn't differentiate between resident and non resident. I suppose they could simply base it on whether you live in MD or not.
    SC is weird.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Utah only issues non resident permits to people who already have permits from their own states.

They have been issuing them to Marylanders because they understand the situation here, that it's been virtually impossible for the majority of Marylanders to get permits. Now that Maryland is shall issue, that policy will change.

And yes, South Carolina is weird. The 200 year old saying is, "South Carolina is too small to be a Nation, and too big to be a Lunatic Asylum. "

Last edited:

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV

I travel to MD enough that it would be nice but it’s like 2-4 times a month that I visit. My folks live in MD and so does my wife’s mom and brothers so yeah :/. Im sure reciprocity will happen eventually.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    There should be a locked Sticky thread with the title MARYLAND DOES NOT RECOGNIZE ANY OTHER STATE'S PERMIT AND DON'T ASK THE QUESTION A THOUSAND TIMES posted here and in the 2A sub forums.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Utah only issues non resident permits to people who already have permits from their own states.

They have been issuing them to Marylanders because they understand the situation here, that it's been virtually impossible for the majority of Marylanders to get permits. Now that Maryland is shall issue, that policy will change.

And yes, South Carolina is weird. The 200 year old saying is, "South Carolina is too small to be a Nation, and too big to be a Lunatic Asylum. "
    Utah issues non resident permits to 15 states without a requirement for someone to have a permit from their home state.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Quite a few states accept the Maryland permit, including Virginia.

And while Pennsylvania does not, they will issue a Pennsylvania permit to a Maryland permit holder for $20.
    And, they will do it in about 15 minutes in the office...... walk out with a fresh permit still warm from the laminator

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Utah issues non resident permits to 15 states without a requirement for someone to have a permit from their home state.

What are the 15 states, and what separates them from the other 34?

I can see New Jersey, New York, and the other May Issue states, but there aren't 15.

Anyway, my understanding is that Utah will expect me to get my home state permit if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom