• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Silent Scope

Dec 12, 2012
    Rockville, MD
    Hey guys I was just wondering what is the legality of selling a gun online from another state (which you aren't a resident of) if you are shipping it to an FFL in a different state?

Example:
    I'm a MD resident but I am at school in SC and would like to sell a firearm online. Can I sell the firearm on Gunbroker and ship it to the FFL of the purchaser in any other state?
    The sale does not have to originate in the state which I claim residency, correct?

Thanks for any clarification that you can give me, I've been searching for an example of this and haven't found any.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    IANAL, but I doubt it matters where you are or where the gun ships from. What's important is that the buyer may legally possess it, and you follow the proper procedures for transfer.

vafish

Mar 13, 2012
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    IANAL, but I doubt it matters where you are or where the gun ships from. What's important is that the buyer may legally possess it, and you follow the proper procedures for transfer.

Correct, but, the one place you may run into trouble is if the buyer refuses the gun

Most auction sites have a 3 day non firing inspection period.

If the buyer looks at the gun and feels it is not as described their FFL can ship the gun back to you, but you would have had to include a copy of your ID to the FFL and he could only ship the gun back to the address on the ID.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    Correct, but, the one place you may run into trouble is if the buyer refuses the gun

Most auction sites have a 3 day non firing inspection period.

If the buyer looks at the gun and feels it is not as described their FFL can ship the gun back to you, but you would have had to include a copy of your ID to the FFL and he could only ship the gun back to the address on the ID.

Wouldn't It have to go back to the sending FFL not the address on the ID.
    I have never put a copy of my ID in with the fun when I used an FFl to ship.
    This is why I use an FFL they check my ID and put their FFL in with the gun.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Wouldn't It have to go back to the sending FFL not the address on the ID.
    I have never put a copy of my ID in with the gun when I used an FFl to ship.
    This is why I use an FFL they check my ID and put their FFL in with the gun.

Only if you use a sending FFL. I have always stipulated I want to ship direct to the buyer's FFL, and most of my online buys have been sent the same way. Saves both parties having to pay yet another fee and getting a redundant FFL involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom