• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KP Shooter

Le Flâneur
    Dec 1, 2009
    Long Island/ MoCo
    So I am a former resident of Maryland, and I currently reside in Florida. I spend a large portion of the year working away from home, on board Navy ships. My question is this, specifically pertaining to "regulated weapons" in Maryland. If I own a rifle in Florida that was banned after OCT13 (in maryland, such as an FAL type rifle), what are the legal ramifications of me storing my rifle at my parents house while I am out to sea. My parents still live in Maryland. I feel much more comfortable with the idea of my guns not being left in a home unoccupied for a couple months at a time. Thanks!

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    So I am a former resident of Maryland, and I currently reside in Florida. I spend a large portion of the year working away from home, on board Navy ships. My question is this, specifically pertaining to "regulated weapons" in Maryland. If I own a rifle in Florida that was banned after OCT13 (in maryland, such as an FAL type rifle), what are the legal ramifications of me storing my rifle at my parents house while I am out to sea. My parents still live in Maryland. I feel much more comfortable with the idea of my guns not being left in a home unoccupied for a couple months at a time. Thanks!
    I would not risk having your parents in legal issues.

Ban is a ban.. Guns are baaaaad.. ;)

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Have you talked to any ranges in FL. So will store your rifles for a small fee.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Banned is banned, no way to lawfully do what you proposed.

Get a better safe, make trustworthy friends down there, or find a dealer / range that offers storage for a fee.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    What's funny is that before I found MD Shooters a question like this would have never crossed my mind.
    I would have just done it and not given it a second thought.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I thought that the deal was if you were an out of state resident and had purchased said banned weapon before October 2013 it was perfectly legal to bring it in to Maryland (cannot be sold or transferred in Maryland) so long as you notify MSP within 24hrs.

No idea what the restrictions are for non-resident. I'd give Maryland state police a call and ask them. Make it clear you are a service member and wanted to store it at your parents house who live in Maryland while you are serving shipboard.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    find a gun store/range that will store your firearms. I'm sure there are many that would be happy to help you while you are at sea.

Bootknife

Ultimate Member

KP do You Live in Jacksonville ? If so let Me know I have Room and would be happy to store it in My Safe.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    KP,
    Check with the base armory. When I was at the Range in Newport, we allowed active duty to store their firearms there. They aren't required to do so, but many will.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If it was purchased prior to Oct 1, 2013, yes it could be brought into the state and stored.

There could be questions about access, but as long as it is clear that they are only be stored.

If you really wanted to keep the questions at bay, get a safe to store them and not give the combo to your family.

tcfan

Jan 11, 2016
    It is amazing what you have to think of in this state. Thankfully MDShooters is around to help out.

Dave Greenberg

Oct 24, 2015
    Millersville

Not unless your parents have a habit of letting cops in their home to inspect their son's firearms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom