• 12288.jpeg
      12288.jpeg
      93.1 KB · Views: 129

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    ^ battleship is not shoulder fired / man portable. The rail cannons were even larger than battleships.

Its a "thing" to neck down 20mm Vulcan cases to smaller diam to do similar things. I don't follow it enough to know what speeds they are achieving but its a boatload of energy. The most common seems to be using long 50cal diam projectiles. I'm guessing that its the most common since barrel blanks are readily available and its not a DD. I suspect barrel life is great if they can get to 100 shots.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    ^ battleship is not shoulder fired / man portable. The rail cannons were even larger than battleships.

Its a "thing" to neck down 20mm Vulcan cases to smaller diam to do similar things. I don't follow it enough to know what speeds they are achieving but its a boatload of energy. The most common seems to be using long 50cal diam projectiles. I'm guessing that its the most common since barrel blanks are readily available and its not a DD. I suspect barrel life is great if they can get to 100 shots.
    The 14.9 designations indicates that it is ~0.58 in which would make it a DD. It apparently has a bullet weight of 1690 gr. With a muzzle energy of 42,000, the bullet velocity would be ~3350 ft/s.

Not sure I see the benefit over a 20 mm. 20 mm have been made "man portable".
    I would not describe any of these as shoulder fire or man portable (including the 14.9 SOP) however.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Not sure I see the benefit over a 20 mm.
    Ballistic Coefficient. 20mm Vulcan's BC is lousy. These long thin skinny wildcat projectiles have BCs over 1.0. They retain energy and go FAR.

This is similar to Barrett 416 and 375 Cheytac (which are kinda/sorta improved 50BMG.) In the Ultra Long Range game lots of powder behind an extreme BC projectile is the answer. In essence its what 6.5CM did too. Modern bullet designs have spurred on the development of more optimized cartridges.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Ballistic Coefficient. 20mm Vulcan's BC is lousy. These long thin skinny wildcat projectiles have BCs over 1.0. They retain energy and go FAR.

This is similar to Barrett 416 and 375 Cheytac (which are kinda/sorta improved 50BMG.) In the Ultra Long Range game lots of powder behind an extreme BC projectile is the answer. In essence its what 6.5CM did too. Modern bullet designs have spurred on the development of more optimized cartridges.
    Not sure that it is a real benefit in this area. You are going to be hard pressed to find ranges past a couple of hundred yards in state and the nearby ones out of state top out at 1000 yards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom