• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    How many of you guys get CCW's in multiple states even if they overlap? Why?

Reason I ask, I help out some friends at "trade" type shows for arround very expensive musical instruments. I often am carrying around about 18,000 dollars of instruments just on my person when traveling or playing shows. I have a Utah CCW that covers most of the states around Md but was wondering if getting the specific state CCW would be better. For example, i always do a show in Virginia, should I get the VA CCW?

TD

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    I've gotten multiple CCW's just to make sure the maximum possible number of states are open for me to carry in.

Your already covered in Virginia with the Utah permit, so I can't see spending the time and money on a Virginia permit just to carry where it is already permissable for you to do so.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The Non Resident UT and Non Resident FL are the best 2 to have. From there you can get a CT, NH, and ME permits with ease. (35 States) Any additional permits would be a waste unless you have reason for a MD Permit. If you get a MD permit you gain MD and MI

With those Permits the only States you cant carry in are:
    MA, NY, NJ, R.I, MD, HI, MI, IA, CO, NV, OR, CA (D.C, U.S.V.I., and P.R. are likely No-Go's for CCW)

SC-Can carry loaded in your Glovebox if you are passing thru the State.

WI and IL-Have no CC at the moment

You can with some difficulty (Have to Travel), you can get NV, MA, and R.I. Permits.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I've invested in over-lapping permits to avoid situations wherein state laws change. Just recently, for example, Louisiana stopped recognizing Florida permits. My ME, NH, PA, UT and VA are still good there.

It really boils down to how much you travel and to what states.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    You may qualify for a Maryland one, so I would def apply for it.

There are two reasons people overlap:

1.) For better coverage, it's unavoidable that there will be some.

2.) To prevent idiot LEO's from harrassing you.

There are many people here who carry reciprocity statues when they carry with out of state permits. Sometimes it's just easier to have them both.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    I want someone to show me a Rhode Island non-resident permit or tell me their tale of how they got it. I'll drive there and happily get it if I can.

MA will give you a 1 year permit for $100 dollars if you have a permit from your home state. SOL for me.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    There are two reasons people overlap:

1.) For better coverage, it's unavoidable that there will be some.
    2.) To prevent idiot LEO's from harrassing you.

As to the second point: Folks in my home town (Wilkes-Barre, PA) tell the story of Pete the cop, who upon making a traffic stop, asked in broken English, "Where you from?" When the motorist replied, "Philadelphia," Pete is said to have asked: "Why you have Pennsylvania tags?" :rolleyes:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Florida Non Reisdent is good in WVA now.

See Here: http://www.wvago.gov/gunrecep.cfm

These are the States that Honor the FL Non Resident

Alabama
    Alaska
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    Delaware
    Georgia
    Idaho
    Indiana
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Mississippi
    Missouri
    Montana
    Nebraska
    New Mexico
    North Carolina
    North Dakota
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania
    South Dakota
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Utah
    Vermont
    Virginia
    West Virginia
    Wyoming

MI, SC, CO and N.H. also Honor the FL permit but ONLY if FL is your Home State.

Nevada recently Dropped FL, and LA also attempted to invalidate the FL permits but that was killed shortly after the announcement.

UT gives you 2 States that The FL doesnt honor. MN and WA.

Beyond Getting a N.H. ME, CT, MA, NV, or R.I. Permits you dont gain anything by getting other permits.

R.I. (5yrs/$40) is a may issue but they will issue if you meet these requirements:
    Have a Home State Carry Permit. (Having Other State Permits do help)
    Have a NRA certified instructor observe you shoot a B27 Target at 25 Yards with a 100% Hit rate (50 Rounds).
    You must drive up to submit the application and to pick up the permit.

For Non-Residents the CCW is Issued by The Attorney General
    R.I. Attorney General
    150 South Main Street
    Providence, Rhode Island 02903
    Phone: (401) 274-4400
    Fax: (401) 222-1331
    http://www.riag.state.ri.us

You can drive thru R.I. without a permit if your have a permit from any other state, as long as you dont pause or detain yourself in the state.

MA (1yr/$100) is a may issue but they will issue if you have a Home State Carry Permit. You have a better chance with multiple State Permits. You also need to certify your shooting abilities in front of a MA Approved Firearm Instructor. They recently changed the process and now require you to show up in person to apply and pick up the permit. You want a Class "A" permit form MA, not a class "B"

NV requires a NV Instructor to give you a class and you have to fly/drive out there to get the class, and fill out the paperwork.

N.H., CT and ME are just mail away permits, and are very easy to obtain if you have other permits.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I want someone to show me a Rhode Island non-resident permit or tell me their tale of how they got it. I'll drive there and happily get it if I can.

MA will give you a 1 year permit for $100 dollars if you have a permit from your home state. SOL for me.

I used to have one (R.I. Permit) but I let it lapse due to my inability to go back up there for renewal.

See my response above.

I highly suggest you have a MD permit before applying for R.I. That was my saving grace there. I have 3 MD permits and several other State CCW's (I see you have a good bit of permits, thats GOOD), the more the better. Also have a VERY well prepared CCW Application. RIght now the R.I., A.G. is VERY Anti-Gun and he wont issue, once he is out of office I would try to apply.

The more training you can show the better.

Last edited:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    PA res and FL non-res. I seldom if ever travel out of the area, and my $25 per 5yr PA permit covers PA, VA, SC, and WV amongst others. I had the FL permit long before I moved to PA, and used it to carry until I got the PA permit, it also adds DE and OH that are not covered by the PA permit.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Thanks for the info. I may apply for Va and PA since those are the tow "main" places I go for the trade shows.

gprimr1 - You think I would qualify for MD??

TD

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Thanks for the info. I may apply for Va and PA since those are the tow "main" places I go for the trade shows.

gprimr1 - You think I would qualify for MD??

TD

Any death threats? Carry lots of cash? Have a prescription pad that deals controlled substances? Otherwise no.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I've invested in over-lapping permits to avoid situations wherein state laws change. Just recently, for example, Louisiana stopped recognizing Florida permits. My ME, NH, PA, UT and VA are still good there.

It really boils down to how much you travel and to what states.

LA changed back IIRC. The State Police were told they did not have the power to change their reciprocity agreements without legislative action. You are GTG in LA again. The LSP web site says FL is OK. So does Handgun Law

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Nevada recently Dropped FL, and LA also attempted to invalidate the FL permits but that was killed shortly after the announcement.

I just got back from Las Vegas last night. Took the one day course which includes live fire at a range. You have to qualify on each pistol you want to carry. If you qual on a revolver, you can carry and size/make. I took my G22 and G30 with me and rented a Kimber TLE so that could be on my permit as well. I am geting one next week. I took my class from a guy who will come to your hotel to teach the class and he has an arrangement with a range in town that he will drive you to. His name is Kurt Gepke and his web site is Team Digit. Highly recommended.

You then take your paperwork down to LVMPD CCW detail and they fingerprint you electronically and do the rest of the paperwork. I was in and out in 45 minutes. Wait time is approximately 30 days or so. Fee is 100.25.

Last edited:

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I often am carrying around about 18,000 dollars of instruments just on my person when traveling or playing shows.

There's a person who posted on this board at some point that he was able to get a CCW to transport and use his photographic equipment, which was valued over 10,000 dollars.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I just got back from Las Vegas last night. Took the one day course which includes live fire at a range. You have to qualify on each pistol you want to carry. If you qual on a revolver, you can carry and size/make. I took my G22 and G30 with me and rented a Kimber TLE so that could be on my permit as well. I am geting one next week. I took my class from a guy who will come to your hotel to teach the class and he has an arrangement with a range in town that he will drive you to. His name is Kurt Gepke and his web site is Team Digit. Highly recommended.

You then take your paperwork down to LVMPD CCW detail and they fingerprint you electronically and do the rest of the paperwork. I was in and out in 45 minutes. Wait time is approximately 30 days or so. Fee is 100.25.

EXCELLENT. Thanks you Sir.Il gonna call that guy. ill be going to the SHOT show so Ill take the class while im out there.

Thank you VERY much.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    EXCELLENT. Thanks you Sir.Il gonna call that guy. ill be going to the SHOT show so Ill take the class while im out there.

Thank you VERY much.

Here is the info from Las Vegas Metro Police

They handle all CCW permits in Clark County. Note they do NOTaccept cash. Money orders or cashiers check only. I went to my bank and got one before I left for Vegas.

The CCW detail where you do your paperwork and prints is just a mile or so off the strip.

The whole process was quite easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom