OWB Retention Level II or Better For Open Carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Those of you that are open carrying, what holster are you using? Are you happy with it?

I am looking at compact holsters with Retention Level II or greater to more safely open carry when the occasion arises and would appreciate suggestions.

I have a few leather thumb-breaks for various pistols and don't care for them for defensive carry - too obvious/easy to defeat. Everything else I have is passive/Level I, intended for concealed use.

I don't care to open carry here in Metropolis, but I do visit more remote areas where an exposed or barely covered OWB at 3:00 would be the most comfortable way to carry.

NOT interested in a Serpa, had one and didn't like it.

T.I.A.!!

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    What didn't you like about the SERPA? They seem divisive to folks and I've never understood why

Prolly this. I know several shooting schools do not allow them.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

Prolly this. I know several shooting schools do not allow them.
    Man I sure know a lot of professionals and others who use them daily

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I open carry in the woods mainly with just OWB Kydex without active retention. I have a Dara holster for my Glock 40 MOS and a Bravo Concealment for my Glock 19 with X300U. I also have Bianchi 57 leather holsters for Glock 19 and 1911. I’ve hiked many miles with those four and they’re comfortable.

When I’m screwing around with a plate carrier, I have Safariland SLS holsters on the low UBL or a drop leg I modified to ride as high as the low UBL.

What didn't you like about the SERPA? They seem divisive to folks and I've never understood why

The plastic is brittle and the mounting points are fragile compared to something like a Safariland, making them easier for someone to rip loose. The button can get jammed with dirt or snow, such as if you slip or end up in a ground scuffle.

The thing about NDs with the trigger finger being where it is to press the button is a lesser issue.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I had one for a 1911 and I couldn't really keep a good firing grip on the gun and actuate the release button. I also had to press the button very firmly to release it and just didn't like having my trigger finger hooked around and under so much pressure as the gun comes out. Being a cocked & locked 1911, the danger I might hit the trigger and fire the pistol was minimal, but it still made me nervous.

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    Man I sure know a lot of professionals and others who use them daily
    I've got one, and I really like it. Almost never use it though as its for a 1911, and I rarely use one of those anymore.

Just letting you know why they are divisive. They are not even allowed at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center.

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    I open carry in the woods mainly with just OWB Kydex without active retention. I have a Dara holster for my Glock 40 MOS and a Bravo Concealment for my Glock 19 with X300U. I also have Bianchi 57 leather holsters for Glock 19 and 1911. I’ve hiked many miles with those four and they’re comfortable.

When I’m screwing around with a plate carrier, I have Safariland SLS holsters on the low UBL or a drop leg I modified to ride as high as the low UBL.

The plastic is brittle and the mounting points are fragile compared to something like a Safariland, making them easier for someone to rip loose. The button can get jammed with dirt or snow, such as if you slip or end up in a ground scuffle.

The thing about NDs with the trigger finger being where it is to press the button is a lesser issue.
    I did a little quick looking, and seems quite a few experienced shooters have had ND and several ended up with an extra hole in their leg or their ass.

Mine is with someone else right now, I think I am going to get it back. They don't train at all.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I did a little quick looking, and seems quite a few experienced shooters have had ND and several ended up with an extra hole in their leg or their ass.

Mine is with someone else right now, I think I am going to get it back. They don't train at all.
    Probably a good move.
    I have a couple Safariland holsters. I like them.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    I have the Serpa for my M&P 45 and can't see someone saying they accidently pull the trigger. If you keep your finger STRAIGHT it doesn't engage a trigger. I only did idpa a few times so i'm sure the regulars are going for much more speed than i did. Still if you don't flex the finger you're not going to pull the trigger.

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    I have the Serpa for my M&P 45 and can't see someone saying they accidently pull the trigger. If you keep your finger STRAIGHT it doesn't engage a trigger. I only did idpa a few times so i'm sure the regulars are going for much more speed than i did. Still if you don't flex the finger you're not going to pull the trigger.
    I can see both sides of it. This video was made to demonstrate that they are perfectly safe.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    My go-to for an overt OWB is safariland. I am very comfortable with their ALS holsters and found the thumb sweep very easy to adapt to.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I have a Serpa for my 1911 and practiced drawing with it unloaded for a time before I felt comfortable putting a loaded mag in it. I had it on my belt everyday I was home during the Rona Riots. Never had an issue with my finger missing t h e tab or not releasing once I found the comfortable angle for me.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For which gun(s) ?

The selection for semi- serious retention holsters that don't look blatantly like duty holsters is slim . SERPA and ALS are the most mass market ones .

* For Me * , I am thoroughly accustomed to thumb breaks , and they are my default .

And I have had occurence to be packing in open top while 4x4'ing , and discover the trusty .45acp was bouncing around the rino lined floor pan of the CJ-7 .

My go-to for an overt OWB is safariland. I am very comfortable with their ALS holsters and found the thumb sweep very easy to adapt to.
    +1
    The Safariland ALS system is great once you practice the "thumb sweep". I now "thumb sweep" every holster, whether it is a Safariland ALS or not.
    CLARIFIER- The ALS "thumb sweep" needs to be muscle memory second nature or they would be a very bad decision as a carry holster.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    +1
    The Safariland ALS system is great once you practice the "thumb sweep". I now "thumb sweep" every holster, whether it is a Safariland ALS or not.
    CLARIFIER- The ALS "thumb sweep" needs to be muscle memory second nature or they would be a very bad decision as a carry holster.
    SG, I make it a habit to sweep all my strong side OWB holsters, als or not. You are absolutely right. It is a good habit because it keeps my thumb tight to my body during the draw, clearing any garments.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The problem with the Serpa, is the shooter.
    That is not a "button". It's a "release". You don't push it in. Your finger simply glides over it on the draw stroke up. Your fingertip should never break the plane of the holster, down into the button place thingy.
    The pistol should be released at about where the middle phalange of your finger.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    No retention for me. It's virtually impossible for someone to draw your pistol from behind because of the forward cant of the holster. Hell, it's tough for the shooter to draw the pistol straight up and out from one, you have to draw a little forward. And that's the reason for a lot of people shooting low, because they are "combat bowling" with the pistol and shooting too soon.

Not a lot of people fighting on the ground or actual fights for that matter.
    Good situational awareness to keep your distance from people is the go to. For me anyway.

People should be more concerned about having a good belt. Because your high quality holster is not going to fail, but your measly pleather wal mart dress belt is going to when someone tries to rip that holster off of you.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I still like my galco thumb-break leather holster for OWB the best. Alucard got it for me years ago for my p99AS. Generally if I'm using it, I'm doing things where I'm not expecting to be around lots of people, like hiking or yardwork. If I think I'll be around people, I'll toss a unbuttoned shirt over it or a jacket in the fall/winter. It's a 3-4 o'clock holster, and snugs the gun close to me, so with a loose covering of any kind the gun's pretty well concealed.

Whenever I'm out in public, as a general rule, I'm constantly managing space and attention. I keep a rough scan on the movements of people around me in the room I'm in (basically a >20 foot radius), mostly looking for if anything is off about the people in my general space and predatory movement patterns that close quickly towards the next ring.
    People from about the 20 foot to 5 foot radius ring get more continuous attention, especially if they're moving towards me.

When possible, I don't let people into a ring closer than about 4 feet/contact distance. If they are that close due to the scenario I'm in, I try keeping an arm over/near where my gun is so I can control it if need be.

I have been shopping around for a weak-side fixed blade recently to have quick access to if I'm really close to a threat. I've already had a fairly good amount of martial arts training for pinning my gun and throwing strikes if I need to keep someone away from it.

I think all the above is more important than which exact type of retention holster to pickup. Of them though, the gls and als holsters seem quick and intuitive. The serpas (I have one for the m&p) can lockup if something gets in the mechanism and you run the ND risk under stress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom