• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    And he even called me a friend - guess no one has been reading my emails about opposing the gun control legislation. Here is the email he sent:

Dear Friend,

I wanted to make sure you are aware of the Maryland Department of Natural Resources' latest Junior Waterfowl Hunting Day, which takes place this Saturday, February 9. Junior Hunting Days provide wonderful opportunities for young hunters and their adult mentors to get outside and enjoy the proud tradition of hunting in Maryland.

Hunting is a part of our history and is woven into the fabric of our State’s culture. We appreciate everything you and all other conservation-minded hunters do for Maryland.

I also want to take this opportunity to address you directly about the proposal we recently introduced to reduce gun violence. Our goal is to enact common sense proposals to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous criminals, and to try to reduce the risk of a mass shooting like the one that occurred in Newtown.

Let me be clear: We are committed to protecting hunters and their traditions. That's why we specifically carved out shotguns and rifles from the licensing requirements of our bill.

This bill will NOT impact your ability to introduce a young hunter to the sport and the conservation stewardship ethic borne of that experience.

Good luck on Saturday and I look forward to hearing your stories from the field.

Sincerely,

Martin O’Malley
    Governor

I guess he doesn't realize that a lot of Maryland hunters use AR's and BushMasters and similar rifles to hunt, and that adjustable stocks and thumbhole grips allow people of smaller stature (i.e., many women and children and men also) to shoot better.

He's trying to divide and concquer...don't fall for it, guys and gals. He could care less about hunting and sporting traditions, uness they get in the way of his gun grabs...

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    "That's why we specifically carved out shotguns and rifles from the licensing requirements of our bill."

You may want to write him back and tell him that he does indeed include rifles in his bill, that ARs are used for hunting, this bill will impact youth hunting with the ammo/age ban, and that the 2nd A has nothing in it about hunting. Maybe Obama told him that it did.

MH

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    All of the following 'predictions' are factually true, based on the language presently contained in SB281 and companion bills now before the Maryland Senate and House.

Never say "It wil NEVER happen" ...
    Just ask the citizens subjects in the UK and Australia.

Attachments

• A Hunter's Lament.jpg
      A Hunter's Lament.jpg
      48.5 KB · Views: 351

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Or this ...

What's in a name ?

Attachments

• Hunting Gun.jpg
      Hunting Gun.jpg
      62.3 KB · Views: 427

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    I've wrote him an email. I didn't send it yet, please tell me what you think first.

Mr. Governor,

Thank you for taking the time from your busy day to read this.

I was recently shown a letter sent out to hunters from you, showing your belief that SB281 was not going to impact hunting. I must respectfully disagree. Stated in the letter was “We are committed to protecting hunters and their traditions. That's why we specifically carved out shotguns and rifles from the licensing requirements of our bill”. Many rifles, those that are wrongly being labeled as “assault rifles” are used for hunting and will be banned under this bill. Features that make these guns “assault rifles” to those who are not familiar to firearms, are mostly cosmetic and ergonomic, allowing the gun to fit the shooter better, for a more comfortable, accurate, shooting experience. You site the Newtown tragedy in your letter, yet, as of recent reports, no rifle of any type was used there.

Furthermore, what are being called “high capacity” magazines, are used by varmit hunters, pursuing game that requires many quick shots in succession, with little time to spend reloading magazines every ten shots. I won’t even go into the benefits of larger capacity magazines for self-defensive purposes.
    Restrictions on ammunition by those under twenty-one, would further impact young people getting into and participating in the the very hunting tradition that your letter claims to protect.

Recently released FBI statistics show that the total number of murders in Maryland in 2011, by a rifle of any type, was two. In 2010, three. In 2009, two again. I am sorry sir, but I don’t see the time and money being used pursuing more regulation on these weapons to be well spent, with regard to the many other problems that our state has. The hunters, the shooting enthusiasts, and the law-abiding citizens that want to protect themselves are not the problem, it is the criminals that rotate through the “revolving door” of our legal system, who go right back onto the street to commit more crimes again and again. If nothing is to be done about the source of these crimes, please don’t restrict our right to defend ourselves from it.

Respectfully,

Maryland Hunter

Last edited:

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    It is a great letter, however neither he or his staff will read anything that doesn't support his agenda. Nevertheless, we all need to flood his email box with stuff like this.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    I think every registered hunter got this. I also replied showing my displeasure. I did hear thru the grapevine that our responses don't go directly to MOM but to Paul P. at DNR. I have not confirmed this but if it is true hopefully he will forward them.

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    ..."You site the Newtown tragedy in your letter, yet, as of recent reports, no rifle of any type was used there."

I think your letter is great. Have you (or anyone else) been able to verify that Lanza did not use the Bushmaster AR in the attacks? I wanted to make that point too, but I wanted to cite a verifiable source. I've heard conflicting reports, but did see a video clip where the County medical examiner said wounds were consistent with being caused by a long gun, but when pressed for more information (e.g., caliber, etc.) he would not go into detail.

Last edited:

bmonast

Feb 1, 2011
    Gamber, MD
    Got the same letter the other day, ironically mine was marked SPAM and was in the junk folder. Microsoft even knows, cool.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    I think your letter is great. Have you (or anyone else) been able to verify that Lanza did not use the Bushmaster AR in the attacks? I wanted to make that point too, but I wanted to cite a verifiable source. I've heard conflicting reports, but did see a video clip where the County medical examiner said wounds were consistent with being caused by a long gun, but when pressed for more information (e.g., caliber, etc.) he would not go into detail.

Thanks. As far as the rifle, recent reports are that a rifle was not used, and the video released showed the rifle in the trunk of the car. More important though, there is no proof that he did use the rifle in question.

MH

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    I think every registered hunter got this. I also replied showing my displeasure. I did hear thru the grapevine that our responses don't go directly to MOM but to Paul P. at DNR. I have not confirmed this but if it is true hopefully he will forward them.

I'm going to send it straight to him, through the link on the MSI email tool.

On another note, I was ammo huntin' at Walmart, and met a hunter doing the same and discussed this with him. I gave him some details of SB281, and not only convinced him to write the reps, but got him fired up enough that he's going to spread the word to his apathetic hunting buddies, and come to the next rally. :party29:

I showed him some pics and video of the 6th on my phone, and he seemed very interested and excited to get involved. I directed him here and to MSI's web site.

MH

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    . I gave him some details of SB281, and not only convinced him to write the reps, but got him fired up enough that he's going to spread the word to his apathetic hunting buddies, and come to the next rally.

I showed him some pics and video of the 6th on my phone, and he seemed very interested and excited to get involved. I directed him here and to MSI's web site.
    AWESOME!!!

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Thanks. As far as the rifle, recent reports are that a rifle was not used, and the video released showed the rifle in the trunk of the car. More important though, there is no proof that he did use the rifle in question.

MH

You may want to verify this - I think some later reports have stated that a rifle was used, and a Saiga-12 was recovered from the car trunk. I thought it was someone from MSI who passed that info along on one of the threads, but can't recall for sure - it's been a couple of weeks.

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    You may want to verify this - I think some later reports have stated that a rifle was used, and a Saiga-12 was recovered from the car trunk. I thought it was someone from MSI who passed that info along on one of the threads, but can't recall for sure - it's been a couple of weeks.

This is consistent with what I have heard. The other thing that is rather disconcerting is the idea that video surveillance (security footage) is actually available, but has not been released for some reason. I hate to be a conspiracy theorist about this but I simply do not believe what the media is feeding us (Fox, CNN, any of them).

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    I'm going to send it straight to him, through the link on the MSI email tool.

On another note, I was ammo huntin' at Walmart, and met a hunter doing the same and discussed this with him. I gave him some details of SB281, and not only convinced him to write the reps, but got him fired up enough that he's going to spread the word to his apathetic hunting buddies, and come to the next rally. :party29:

MH

that's good. have had several conversations with hunters that didn't know or think no big deal doesn't effect me.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008

Thanks, I hadn't heard that. Last I heard a week or two ago, a link on here for a newscast, was that a rifle wasn't used. If anyone has more info, please respond.

MH

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom