• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coretac

Do NOT care what u think
    May 30, 2013
    yes, I am pretty sure , steel barrel . I have the same one and it's loaded with plus p .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I should have the date committed to memory , but steel J Frame post a certain date (early '90s IIRC ) are stated by S&W to be ok for limited number of +P , but with accelerated wear.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    In the mid 70s when MPDC went to +P 38 hollow points, S&W Mod 36s were still authorized as official off duty weapons. The air weight Mod 37 was banned due to the aluminum alloy. My Mod 60 stainless was also still allowed. This was only a 38 spl at the time.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Back in the day, MSP issued S&W Model 36s and we used Winchester 110 grain +P+. As stated snappy recoil. But unless you plan on burning hundreds of rounds through it, you will not have a problem with a steel frame S&W revolver.

Good luck

Jerry

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    People use +p, but I agree that whatever the manual says should be strictly abided by. Some of the older revolvers pre-date commonality of +p ammunition, and so they were not built to withstand the additional energy nor were they tested to see if and how much wear is accelerated. Smith and Wesson does not there will be accelerated wear with the use, but they do not specify how much.

http://www.snubnose.info/docs/Model_36.htm

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-28 at 9.00.32 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2013-06-28 at 9.00.32 PM.jpg
      46.5 KB · Views: 175
    • Screen Shot 2013-06-28 at 9.00.25 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2013-06-28 at 9.00.25 PM.jpg
      66.5 KB · Views: 175

python

Apr 15, 2010
    In a short barrel revolver, the performance advantage of +P is negligible, but it won't hurt the revolver in small doses. If it makes you feel better using it, go ahead.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    My model 36 I bought from Shooter's Discount is marked for +P on the frame.

I really don't see a point in using it. If regular 38SPL isn't going to knock 'em down, I doubt +P is going to make a difference... that's what the 5 more rounds are for... ;)

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    In a short barrel revolver, the performance advantage of +P is negligible, but it won't hurt the revolver in small doses. If it makes you feel better using it, go ahead.

My testing has found certain +p rounds to benefit in short barrels. Gold Dot Short Barrel in .38 is +p and it gains a considerable amount over the standard .38 GD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom