• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Are you asking about a particular gun? I know, according to S&W for instance, any Model 10 marked as such will handle +P. The pre-model 10, the Military & Police, will not. The M&P was designated the Model 10 in 1957. Any thing 1957/58 and beyond is good to go.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    thanks I was hoping there was a website that had this info

any idea on the S&W Model 37 Airweight

Because it has a model number, I would say yes. I would not feed it a steady diet of such, but I would say that having some defensive rounds would not hurt.

I'm on the Smith & Wesson forum right now looking for more concrete info for you.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I read up a little.....the 36 and 37 Airweights have traditionally had issues with cracked frames. Cracked at the barrel.

Do not shoot +p loads in this. I was incorrect. For safety sake, I would only shoot +p in a K frame or larger if it is not specifically marked for +P

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    If it's an aluminum cylinder one, I'd steer clear of +Ps.

I read up a little.....the 36 and 37 Airweights have traditionally had issues with cracked frames. Cracked at the barrel.

Do not shoot +p loads in this. I was incorrect. For safety sake, I would only shoot +p in a K frame or larger if it is not specifically marked for +P

thank you!!

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    So how about the model 60? I have +p for home defense. With it being stainless I'm sure it can handle it if the need is there.

Call S&W and ask them. Have the serial number and model handy.

There have been two versions of the 60. One is .38 Special only, the other is a .357 Magnum gun. Obviously that gun can handle .38 +P ammo.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    It's stamped on the barrel if it supports +P. Some M37 revolvers support +P. Some don't. Depends on the barrel. As others have said, call S&W's 800 number and ask. They are very helpful and will likely offer a definitive answer based on your M37 serial number. Even if yours supports +P, limit the number of +P rounds through it, since the alloy frame can crack. Regardless, I would avoid shooting heavy-duty +P loads through it, such as Federal 158gr LSWCHP +P (FBI load), ignoring the fact that recoil will be very intense.

olddawg

Feb 3, 2011
    Harford County
    I carried one as an off duty and had to do yearly qualifications with +P ammo. It started to get loose after a few years. This was 20 years ago. The current crop may hold up better. I'd avoid a steady diet of +P ammo regardless. I ended up selling it to my brother in law and bought a Ruger SP101. No problems with +P with that revolver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom