• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Well it's been nearly a year since I pulled a new Walther P22 off the shelf to be my suppressor test rat. I decided when I first removed it from the shelf and fired it for the first time, that I would also est the reliability of the pistol as well. I vowed to not clean it or oil it until it became unreliable. I should say I don't recomend anyone do this to their own P22. I have fired countless rounds through this pistol testing various suppressors, trying different ammo, and just shooting for fun. In the early stages of what is now my SP1 suppressor I would fire about five hundred rounds a week from this pistol, just to give you an idea of what has been through it. I have fired most commonly available 22 ammo through it, with the only problems being subsonics that didn't have enough pressure to fully operate the slide. ?Recently at the Frostbite shoot the front sight got knocked off. When I went to replace the sight, I got curious and removed the slide from the gun. This is the first time the slide has been removed since nearly a year ago. Here are some pics of what I found. 036.jpg

037.jpg

038.jpg

039.jpg
    Now keep in mind, even with all that crud and lack of lubrication, this pistol was still functioning with out a hicup on cheap bulk pak ammo. :thumbsup: to Walther on the P22.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    How many rounds did you put through it??

I cleaned mine last night after 500 rds, it wasn't that dirty. i'm using Rem Golds and other than bad round here and there the gun has been shooting flawlessly. I use my P22 ALOT since its so cheap to shoot.

thanks for the report

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    How many rounds did you put through it??

I cleaned mine last night after 500 rds, it wasn't that dirty. i'm using Rem Golds and other than bad round here and there the gun has been shooting flawlessly. I use my P22 ALOT since its so cheap to shoot.

thanks for the report

Probably much closer to five thousand through it at this point.

Whats the inside of the barrel look like? Thats :party29:

Barrel wasn't too bad, I guess it can only get so dirty as it blows the excess out lol

@midcounty- Were you using crappy Rem Thunderbolts? Those things really made my MKIII very dirty (for how few rounds I put threw it) and the shots were inconsistent and often jammed.

I have shot thunderbolts through it a couple times, but like your experience they are crap. Not too many jams in mine, but you can hear the inconsistancy of the loads.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Anything that can look like this and still work.. I'm sold
    BTW: Suppressors will build up crud in any firearm, It is good test to determine reliability.

LWRC: suppressed

Attachments

• 3548680695-2d8feb0d23-b-tm1.jpg
      3548680695-2d8feb0d23-b-tm1.jpg
      14.1 KB · Views: 302
    • 3548689487-8449978d0e-b-tm.jpg
      3548689487-8449978d0e-b-tm.jpg
      17 KB · Views: 315
    • 3548693999-efaf0fe1d3-b-tm.jpg
      3548693999-efaf0fe1d3-b-tm.jpg
      13.6 KB · Views: 324

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    What kind of ammo were you using to get that kind of reliability? I have a P22 on layaway and need to stock up on ammo that is reliable on this thing.

Thanks

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Totally surprised! My Skeeter does not like to be clean, but it doesn't like to be filthy either. From 10 rounds through 300, no hiccups. After 300, all kinds of ejection and feed problems. I am flabbergasted that your P22 was still in working order with all that crud!

Looking at a gun that dirty, part of me wants to cry. Knowing it was still operating, part of me wants to cheer lol.

Hats off to ya!

Splitter

Apone

May 1, 2009
    Salida, CO
    That's great to know. I purchased a P22 a month ago for this exact purpose - to run with a supressor and to just practice with. I've heard some good things about the P22, and a few bad reviews as well. If it can hold up to 500 supressed rounds a week - I doubt that I'll break it.

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    Speaking of Walther P22-I can not remove my factory lazer from the rail.
    I have heard of this from others but have not heard of a solution, yet.
    Anybody chime in with a little help? The lazer is not working right and I want to send it back to S&W. S&W said to send it back to them, gun and all, but I would rather just send the lazer.

sbbieshelt

Jun 26, 2009
    Simple Pleasures Farm
    My boys get about 2 boxes of cheap rem 550's thru then they start to have feed problems with my p22. Great little gun but not as accurate as the 22/45, but they are both fun to shoot.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    What kind of ammo were you using to get that kind of reliability? I have a P22 on layaway and need to stock up on ammo that is reliable on this thing.

Thanks

I have used CCI standard velocity, which was probably my favorite, Centurion standard velocity, Winchester Wildcat, Winchester High velocity, Remington bulk pak, Eley sport, and CCI minimag all with good results. I have shot various subsonics, and when gun was new(and much cleaner with probably a little lube in it) it would cycle some of them. But for the most part don't waste your time with subs in the P22. Standard velocity with the short barrel of the P22 does well suppressed and usually will remain subsonic.

trapture

Surplus Rifle Lover
    Apr 27, 2007
    Dundalk-Ish
    Midcounty thanks Again for letting me shoot that Sten Mk II. When I get my Mk. III finished I would let you shoot it, but its semi auto so Don't turn your nose up at it :)

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    is there a trick to getting that slide release down on the P22? my buddy and I broke his trying to get it to come down :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom