• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sep 18, 2013
    Towson
    " I don't think it was behaving that way before I stripped it to clean it, including under the grips. I didn't see anything obviously out of place, though. I can see where the trigger should reengage when turning off the safety. It looks a little like there should be just a tad more spring tension on the disconnector or the trigger bar."

I just finished replacing the springs on mine with the Wolff replacements, and during the process, i attempted to DA dryfire it with the slide and grips off.

That's when I learned that when the gun is apart, particularly with the slide off, the trigger bar spring loves to pop off when you pull the trigger, and from there on, the trigger will not engage.

Using this link, and reviewing the various reassembly steps, I was able to get the trigger spring back in the groove on the trigger bar, pin and all now works fine.

Hope this helps.

http://www.p64resource.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=a6660b07cd9109160e5a687110f86d92

edhallor

Feb 23, 2010
    Aberdeen
    Also, I got my P64 from AIM Surplus as well. I paid extra for the hand pick, and it is excellent.
    View attachment 146368
    As Pictured most if not all P64s on this last Import were made by Century Arms International and carry the gross CAI Import Stamp.
    I understand that there is no restriction on grinding the Import Marking off as long as no serial numbers are removed.
    Many times Aim and SOG will ship these Imports still in the Century Box, so much for the extra $10 best of lot.
    Eddie O

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    I understand that there is no restriction on grinding the Import Marking off as long as no serial numbers are removed.

Internet research (worth every penny you paid for it) suggests that it may be legal under Federal law (but check with your own attorney or ATF first). However, it may be illegal under State law. I'd be interested to hear from someone who can speak with more legal authority. (Do I need to say IANAL?)

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    Following up on my trigger disconnector issue: I found some peening in the slide that may be preventing the disconnector from sliding back up when the safety is disengaged. I've sent a photo to the gunsmith at Classic to evaluate and provide options.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429588754.384454.jpg

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Following up on my trigger disconnector issue: I found some peening in the slide that may be preventing the disconnector from sliding back up when the safety is disengaged. I've sent a photo to the gunsmith at Classic to evaluate and provide options.

View attachment 148828

Damn, same guy must have got at that with a sledgehammer that got ahold of my SAMCO Spanish Mauser bolt!

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD

View attachment 148828

Got an email back from Gabriel, the gunsmith at Classic. He suggested "using small files and stones to just clean up the peened area just a small amount and polishing it with a stone or fine sandpaper". I'm not confident in my ability to do that myself. I've emailed my favorite FFL, 2A Sales, to see if they can do the work. In case they can't, any suggestions?

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    I had a chance to get both new-to-me P-64s out to the range last weekend, and they both worked flawlessly! I put about 30 rounds of Wolf through each, and a mag of HPs (Hornady), no feed/fire/extraction problems at all.

They were also quite accurate (I'll benchrest them next time and see just how tight they can fire) and much milder to shoot than I'd expected. Recoil was soaked up really nicely by the little steel frames, and I think these are going to be a lot of fun down the road.

Let's see how the condition shows in a couple of side-by-side pics. Not the best images (too much glare and bad shadows), but there's very little wear. A few scratches on the grips is about all - the bluing is good all the way, and internals are VG to VG+.

In both pics, the one from AIM is on the left, Classic is on the right:
    P64s rt.jpg
    P64s lft.jpg

And now I want a Tok for no real reason - C&R sickness got me!

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Got an email back from Gabriel, the gunsmith at Classic. He suggested "using small files and stones to just clean up the peened area just a small amount and polishing it with a stone or fine sandpaper". I'm not confident in my ability to do that myself. I've emailed my favorite FFL, 2A Sales, to see if they can do the work. In case they can't, any suggestions?

I encourage you to do it yourself. It doesn't look like a highly critical area to me, all you need to do is take off the excess some where it is peened out, and smooth it up a bit. it doesn't need to be anything close to perfect.

Go for it!!

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I'd give it a shot for you James. I'm getting pretty handy with my Jeweler files and Dremmel. I also enjoy doing it. I'll do it for free, but, you have to hold me harmless. I just fixed my Yugo PAP by installing a double stack bolt and modifying it and the front trunnion. This was no easy feat. I also did a fantastic job on my PPK/S. I think I did a hell of a job. I'm happy to do it for you, or help you do it.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I had a chance to get both new-to-me P-64s out to the range last weekend, and they both worked flawlessly! I put about 30 rounds of Wolf through each, and a mag of HPs (Hornady), no feed/fire/extraction problems at all.

They were also quite accurate (I'll benchrest them next time and see just how tight they can fire) and much milder to shoot than I'd expected. Recoil was soaked up really nicely by the little steel frames, and I think these are going to be a lot of fun down the road.

Let's see how the condition shows in a couple of side-by-side pics. Not the best images (too much glare and bad shadows), but there's very little wear. A few scratches on the grips is about all - the bluing is good all the way, and internals are VG to VG+.

In both pics, the one from AIM is on the left, Classic is on the right:
    View attachment 148843
    View attachment 148844

And now I want a Tok for no real reason - C&R sickness got me!
    Very nice! You did well my friend. I thought about a Tok. Still am. But it's a little lower on the list. I want a CZ75 first.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Very nice! You did well my friend. I thought about a Tok. Still am. But it's a little lower on the list. I want a CZ75 first.

You definitely won't regret a CZ75. I got an Omega about a year ago. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have gone with the Omega, though. Not real fond of the trigger, so I put in a Cajun Gun Works short reset trigger kit in it, much better now, but still wish it had an even shorter reset. The original Omega reset was ridiculous. Nothing fits the hand better than a CZ75 IMO

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    You definitely won't regret a CZ75. I got an Omega about a year ago. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have gone with the Omega, though. Not real fond of the trigger, so I put in a Cajun Gun Works short reset trigger kit in it, much better now, but still wish it had an even shorter reset. The original Omega reset was ridiculous. Nothing fits the hand better than a CZ75 IMO
    Man, that's the one I was going to go with. Which one do you suggest? The BD? I'm glad you said this. What is wrong with the trigger anyway? This would be for range only. I also hate rails.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

Nice gesture to help with the gunsmithing on the P64. I'm disappointed that Classic won't replace it for him.

I keep hesitating on the Tok as well. I'm really intrigued by the 7.62x25 ammo, but hate the forced placement of the safety in killing the aesthetic of the Tokarev pistol (yeah, weak sauce criticism) and have heard reports of a mushy trigger pull.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Nice gesture to help with the gunsmithing on the P64. I'm disappointed that Classic won't replace it for him.

I keep hesitating on the Tok as well. I'm really intrigued by the 7.62x25 ammo, but hate the forced placement of the safety in killing the aesthetic of the Tokarev pistol (yeah, weak sauce criticism) and have heard reports of a mushy trigger pull.

The safety on the Romanian Toks is much better than the one on the Yugos.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD

Don't think too poorly of Classic. Their exact words were "You can try to work on it if you would like and then if not successful we can do an exchange." I just don't want to have to deal with shipping if there's a reasonable alternative.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    I'd give it a shot for you James. I'm getting pretty handy with my Jeweler files and Dremmel. I also enjoy doing it. I'll do it for free, but, you have to hold me harmless. I just fixed my Yugo PAP by installing a double stack bolt and modifying it and the front trunnion. This was no easy feat. I also did a fantastic job on my PPK/S. I think I did a hell of a job. I'm happy to do it for you, or help you do it.

PM sent. With encouragement from you and toolness1, I think I will give it a try with some mentoring.

Jul 1, 2012

What caused the terrible beating in the first place?
    I'm not familiar with these, but that looks like a lot of buggery there.
    It does look like you could carefully remove material until it works right again, but then what?
    (treating the symptom and not the underlying problem?)
    You'll do fine with the repair, I'm sure, especially with the offered help.
    Lot of good people here....

I'm surprised Classic would let you attempt to fix it and then exchange afterwards if necessary, that's very cool of them!

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    PM sent. With encouragement from you and toolness1, I think I will give it a try with some mentoring.
    Good to hear! I was scared at first, too. But when I dove in to my first couple home gun smithing projects, I loved it so much, I now have a very rewarding branch-off hobby of my shooting and collecting. I think you will be glad you did.

Hopefully you and whoever helps can figure out what caused it. I can't figure it out by looking...not sure what would cause peening in that area during normal function of the gun. Almost looks like Polish Bubba went at it to me, who knows.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Man, that's the one I was going to go with. Which one do you suggest? The BD? I'm glad you said this. What is wrong with the trigger anyway? This would be for range only. I also hate rails.
    I would go with just the 75B or BD if you like a decocker. The omega had more creep and a longer reset than both my SAR B6P and my Witness, which are clones of the CZ75, much cheaper poly clones.

I was able to improve it like I said, but the parts weren't cheap and it still bugs me sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom