• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    UPDATE

MDFASS PAC is in the process of refunding any money donated to it. Why?

Several reasons. Campaign finance is a high stakes game and the creation and implementation of a PAC cannot be done on a whim or without 'good and substantial' thought, consideration and planning. We've crossed every t and dotted every i. Part of that planning included an agreement among the founding board members (dblas, flyingblind and myself) that we MUST have a lawyer on the board and if possible, one who specializes in finance. We found that person and he is eager and willing to help in any capacity possible. However, he has a family to feed and a 'day' job with the Federal government. We can't in good faith ask him to take a position on a PAC if it could in any way jeopardize his employment. So, we are sans professional legal counsel on our board. The only people who can be held legally acountable for the actions of a PAC are the Chair (flyingblind) and Treasurer (me) and while we consider ourselves to be sufficiently intelligent, we are not lawyers and do not pretend to be.

Secondly, I spent almost an hour on the phone with Patrick yesterday discussing SB281 (what happened, what will happen and what needs to happen). Without reservation, Patrick is supportive of our efforts and in no way asked/insinuated that the PAC should cease existence. He did, however, fill me in on some of the details and the actions MSI is taking as we move forward.

There are things that we can do that MSI cannot, but at this time, none of them require financial considerations. MSI has a plan. They've had a plan all along and it is calculated, intelligent and above all else, unlimited in its scope (legal, political, educational). I know that we often see cryptic posts about what MSI is doing without ever really hearing the dirty details... but if you don't believe him when he says it, believe me. MSI is on top of things. They know what they are doing and they will be a force to be reckoned with. Trust in them. That's as detailed as I can get.

The founding board members of MDFASS PAC discussed the situation and here is the plan. MDFASS PAC will continue to exist and we will continue to build a contact/volunteer list. The website will be up and we will update it. All of the paperwork is filed and we are a legal entity. We've consulted an accountant and our house is in order. We are refunding donations and will stop accepting them (for now). We can flip the donation switch from 'off' to 'on' with a moment's notice. First, we must secure legal counsel on the board. After that, if a situation presents itself where the legal framework of a PAC is needed, we will resume 'official' activity and do everything that is necessary to reach our goals. If there is a scratch that MSI cannot itch, we'll ask for your financial support at that time and fulfill our role. In the mean time, we see no reason to divert financial resources away from MSI or attract unwanted attention (legal and otherwise) to ourselves. This does not stop us from doing the grassroots activities that are (and always have been) essential to our activities as a PAC.

The Chair of MDFASS will work behind the scenes and I will devote my time and ability to supporting MSI. I think that my devotion and skill set will be best utilized by assisting MSI in whatever capacity they deem necessary. I will, however, continue to champion ALAMO, DINO and outreach by Marylanders for a Safe Society. Again, we are just suspending the financial portion of our organization.

We thank you for your generosity (honestly, we've been amazed at what we were able to collect in just a few days) and kindly ask that you consider donating the refunded money to MSI.

A HUGE thanks to Multifaceted for helping with our graphics and to DrBlast33 for developing and hosting our website. Your help is and will continue to be, essential.

Another special thanks to DD214 for allowing us to post about the PAC and ask for community support. When you open your wallet, please remember to keep MDS in mind. MDS is not MSI and we want to keep the lights on!

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    UPDATE

MDFASS PAC is in the process of refunding any money donated to it.

We thank you for your generosity (honestly, we've been amazed at what we were able to collect in just a few days) and kindly ask that you consider donating the refunded money to MSI.

I would have no objections if you just roll over my small contribution to either MDS or MSI. If you have to return it to each individual contributor for "i" crossing and "t" dotting, I understand.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    I would have no objections if you just roll over my small contribution to either MDS or MSI. If you have to return it to each individual contributor for "i" crossing and "t" dotting, I understand.

Yes it will be refunded directly back to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom