• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    I believe they offer a lifetime warranty don't they?

So if there is a fix (Gen 2 or not), if your current rifle has issues you should be able to return it for the fix. They did offer to take mine back and fix it. I decided to wait for two reasons: 1. It functions OK currently and; 2. I thought they might discover a design/manufacturing issue and fix it at a later date. Given this, I was willing to be patient. I did ask about the warranty and waiting and was assured in email I could send it back anytime if it had an issue (obviously outside of operator abuse).

This is where I sit. Very light wear on right side of mag lip.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Another range trip, and new observations. Update some time post-debate.
    f84800fda377402be5755de5d8fc162f.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Fortis Shift vertical grip. It's a useful design that allows one to grip the fore end in different ways securely.

Diesel-Dad

Jun 25, 2016
    HARFORD COUNTY
    outside the fitment issue with mags do these psa rifles have any major issues? would it be a wise decision to just go with a cmmg instead of the psa because of the issues?

Walton Feep

Sep 29, 2012
    outside the fitment issue with mags do these psa rifles have any major issues? would it be a wise decision to just go with a cmmg instead of the psa because of the issues?

I only have a a couple hundred rounds runs through mine. But so far other than the mag shaving, it has run fine and shoots well enough. Cycles the cheap stuff without issues. It's light which is what I wanted. I think the CMMG is a heavier rifle. I've got two other rifles in 7.62x39 - a Mini-Thirty and a CZ 527. The Mini won't cycle steel case and the CZ is of course a bolt rifle. I like them both but if I had to choose, I'd probably keep the PSA. I may feel differently if the mag issue is not resolved and results in eventual magazine failure.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The CMMG is almost indisputably a better design, but is somewhat more proprietary and expensive.

The biggest issue I've seen with the PSA KS47 isn't feed lip wear, it's the bolt actually getting caught up on the feed lips. I suspect that they need to revisit their tolerances, and perhaps look at the steel insert for mag front lugs that Sig used to fix the Sig 556R.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    The CMMG is almost indisputably a better design, but is somewhat more proprietary and expensive.

The biggest issue I've seen with the PSA KS47 isn't feed lip wear, it's the bolt actually getting caught up on the feed lips. I suspect that they need to revisit their tolerances, and perhaps look at the steel insert for mag front lugs that Sig used to fix the Sig 556R.

Agree with this. The PMAGs after a bit of cycling and feed lip wear don't have this issue. For other mags made of more rigid material, or at least their feed lips, it's hit or miss. The rifle is very finicky due to its tolerances for mag attachment/sitting. For a mag that avoids contact with the bolt face, the rifle is a real pleasure to shoot. If PSA can reduce some of the slop in where the mag sits without losing functionality/ease of mag attachment, that would be a nice Gen 2 improvement.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Had a follow-up trip to the range. Even before getting to the range, the KS-47 had a new issue. With three different Russian bakelite mags, the gun couldn't be charged. The bolt lugs run into the upper feed lips on the mags and can't be pulled back. I'm seriously going to need another mag compatible platform in the future given how much I've spent on AK-47 mags trying to troubleshoot the KS-47 that are probably not usuable in the KS-47.

However, at the range, there was some progress and one re-emergence of an old issue. All of my previously used PMAGs worked without a hiccup. One South Korean steel mag that had problems before, had problems again testing only ten rounds in the mag (one FTF and later a FTE). The other steel mag ran fine.

My conclusion, as stated in the prior post, is that this platform in current form requires polymer mags which can be shaved by the bolt cycling to fit the tolerances of the design. Fired close to 120 rounds via polymer mags on the last trip with no problems. I used steel and brass cased ammo from different manufacturers.

Below is an example at 100 yards with 15 rounds of FMJ ammo from Tula. Eleven of the 15 shots are approx 2 inches apart. Someone with more patience/skill, an upgraded trigger, and better ammo would probably tighten this group up.

c54b509b5eb3622dcac018b26e84fe0b.jpg

While I'm waiting to hear what solutions PSA is going to offer customers of the KS-47 that have their rifles seize up with commonly available 7.62x39 mags, I'll stick with PMAGs in the future. I was also sufficiently satisfied with the rifle's performance that I'm going to pull the 1-6x scope and now put a red dot (or future 3x prism) on it as I originally intended to keep it a lightweight platform that is accurate, "reliable", easily customizable (a better trigger is on the way), and shoots something harder hitting than 5.56 at under 200 yards.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The funny thing, you really have to kinda work at it to have your bolt hang up on the feed lips... IIRC, AK mags have wider feed lips than AR mags. TFB noted the problem of adequate front lug support quite a while ago:
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/02/10/one-way-cmmg-mutant-different/

Can someone with a KS47 try removing the lower, putting a mag in the lower, and seeing if the front of the mag pushes upwards under pressure?

Diesel-Dad

Jun 25, 2016
    HARFORD COUNTY
    so with psa's "fire sale" on ks 47 rifle kits and p mags that we cant get in this state what can we do? out of state p.o. box? does this sale indicate there will be a gen 2 rifle? is there a fix in the works? it sounds like my steel mags will not work with this rifle but any polymer mag will?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    so with psa's "fire sale" on ks 47 rifle kits and p mags that we cant get in this state what can we do? out of state p.o. box? does this sale indicate there will be a gen 2 rifle? is there a fix in the works? it sounds like my steel mags will not work with this rifle but any polymer mag will?

Can't help you with this, but I'm betting PSA is including all the PMAGs so users will just stick with them and won't have problems with bakelite or steel mags. Too bad current owners can't get some sort of mag voucher, aside from being unable to receive them if a MD resident.

Diesel-Dad

Jun 25, 2016
    HARFORD COUNTY
    Can't help you with this, but I'm betting PSA is including all the PMAGs so users will just stick with them and won't have problems with bakelite or steel mags. Too bad current owners can't get some sort of mag voucher, aside from being unable to receive them if a MD resident.

a voucher would be cool i could deal with that or offer the same package less mags?

Palmetto St.

Sep 28, 2016
    Had a follow-up trip to the range. Even before getting to the range, the KS-47 had a new issue. With three different Russian bakelite mags, the gun couldn't be charged. The bolt lugs run into the upper feed lips on the mags and can't be pulled back. I'm seriously going to need another mag compatible platform in the future given how much I've spent on AK-47 mags trying to troubleshoot the KS-47 that are probably not usuable in the KS-47.

There has been some confusion on the issue of magazines and bolt clearance.

There should be no issues with most steel magazines. Polymer magazines may see a bit of wear on the top from rubbing due to the thickness of the magazine there not being a machined dimension.

Please contact CS directly if you are having an issue with heavy gouging on your Pmag, or the inability for the bolt to cycle with steel. This is not normal, and we would be happy to look at it for you.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

There should be no issues with most steel magazines. Polymer magazines may see a bit of wear on the top from rubbing due to the thickness of the magazine there not being a machined dimension.

Please contact CS directly if you are having an issue with heavy gouging on your Pmag, or the inability for the bolt to cycle with steel. This is not normal, and we would be happy to look at it for you.
    Thank you for the follow-up. I had been following the thread at ar15.com to see what fixes were made and what turnaround times were for customers.

For people who have experienced similar problems (bolt lugs gouging PMAG feed lips in order for the rifle to run smoothly, bolt lugs getting impeded by feed lips of steel and other mag types), have these problems been solved with a new bolt, new lower, new upper, or modification of one of these existing parts? Does one send in the whole rifle?

I ask because I know how to get the KS-47 (gen 1) to work for me now, and would be nervous about the nature of modifications to existing parts.

Related to this, PSA is cautious about semiautomatic centerfire rifles sales (and AR-15, AR-10, etc lower receiver sales) in Maryland. If I shipped the rifle or complete lower for repair work, would there be an issue in getting it back?

Walton Feep

Sep 29, 2012

Glad to see PSA is here.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Hopefully PSA stays both on board with what's going on. As well as MD shooters . It would be nice to have a relationship that works both ways.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands

what do you say to those who are having issues whenholding the magazines while shooting or the magazine touching anything on a bench or what ever else and causing the bolt to catch on the magazine and not cycle?

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Putting my BRS lower together tonight. I will say its a well machined lower ! but I also will say putting the magazine latch on the lower was a PIA ! Had to make a tool to hold the spring in while installing the pin. The mag release spring is beefy !! What I did was install the spring pin were it went into the opening about .015 to .02 . Then I made a short pin that's .125 Dia. and about .4 long. I put the pin in the mag release to hold the spring in place. ( its on the back side and you have no way of holding it in place) I rocked the paddle and spring in having the part that is .015 to line up with the hole. Then grabbed the lower and paddle to align them using my hand threw the trigger guard. I put a block of wood down and pressed the pin. once the retaining tool pin hit the block of wood it put a dent in the wood. Then I drilled a pocket where the dent was. Then pressed the pin the rest of the way til the retaining tool pin fell out. I have tried 4 different mags. The P mags , Korean steel mags are golden. The Romanian were a good but a tiny bit tight.The tapco mags were tight and would require some minor fitting. I'm waiting on a barrel and bolt to complete the assy.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Put the upper together. Note to everyone including myself. Remove the set screw and pin for the forward assist before have any annodizing or finishes applied. I left them in as not to lose them. And the loctite melted into the floating pin and made it difficult to remove.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom