• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    I picked up a P10-40 last fall at an auction. Taken it on several range trips and tried a couple different types of ammo. I’m getting failure to feed problems, maybe 3 out of 10 jam. Some jam by missing the chamber and going above, others don’t even seem to tip up towards the chambe and just jam on the ramp. I’ve run about 150 to 200 rounds through it so far. No idea how much the prior owner shot it. Looking for suggestions on what to do, or a smith that could look at this and hopefully fix it.

Thanks.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Mags all good? Springs and feedlips good on them? I usually start there, worth it to see about new springs from Wolff if you have doubts.

Same jams with ball or HP ammo?

Recoil spring good? Worth it to get one if ordering for the mags. Slide may be moving too fast if it is old. If you don't know how much it was used in the past I would replace that.

Those would be my first steps to try before getting a 'smith involved as you may be able to easily do those yourself.

A new mag may also be worth a try so you know the feedlips are right on it and the spring fresh.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    I have a P14-45 with a similar issue. I contacted Para Ordnance (Remington) and they told me it had a lifetime warranty and explained how to send it in to their repair services. Came back in a few weeks good as new.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    Mags all good? Springs and feedlips good on them? I usually start there, worth it to see about new springs from Wolff if you have doubts.

Same jams with ball or HP ammo?

Recoil spring good? Worth it to get one if ordering for the mags. Slide may be moving too fast if it is old. If you don't know how much it was used in the past I would replace that.

Those would be my first steps to try before getting a 'smith involved as you may be able to easily do those yourself.

A new mag may also be worth a try so you know the feedlips are right on it and the spring fresh.

I have 5 mags, two came with the gun and the other 3 are new (aftermarket, couldn’t find any originals) The gun doesn’t look like it’s been fired much, so I wouldn’t think the recoil spring is bad, but who knows.

I’m not sure how the feed lips are supposed to be adjusted on these mags. I had to do it on the mags for my High Standard, but there was enough info out there for that gun to guide me. This gun seems to be an orphan without much info on the net about it.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    I have a P14-45 with a similar issue. I contacted Para Ordnance (Remington) and they told me it had a lifetime warranty and explained how to send it in to their repair services. Came back in a few weeks good as new.
    Looks like Remington has killed off the Para brand, but I’ll give them a call tomorrow to see what they can do. Mine is a Canadian built Para, but if as you say, lifetime warranty, maybe they will honor it. Thanks.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I have some experience with Para. Unfortunately, their quality control was hit and miss until Remington bought them and started putting EGW parts in them (these ones were.made in NC). So the ones made in Canada and then FL can be problematic.

Small 1911s are not as reliable as full size models, due to how much the barrel has to cam down to load a new round. It is just how the controlled feed design of the 1911 works. They can be reliable, but it is more difficult to do than on a full size.

Para specifically had issues with out of spec magazines and some of the aftermarket ones were crap too. (IMHO Mec-Gar made the best ones. The factory and Pro-mag ones are junk). Additionally, Para had issues with out of spec chamber throats and feed ramp shoulders being too steep, and barrel links being too long or short.

Hopefully Remington will take care of you. If not, send. it to a smith. Personally, I had to replace most of the internals on mine, ream the chamber, polish the feed ramp and chamber before mine was reliable. Basically the only things that were left stock were the slide. frame, sights, and sear spring (and that's because the sear spring notch was cut about 1/8" too low and nothing else fits.)

BADSHOT

Still Learning
    Dec 27, 2021
    How weird county
    Had the same problem with my p10-45. Canada made. Tried different mags. Same problem. Sent back after they moved to the Carolinas and they reshaped and polished the feed ramp and all is good.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I'd suspect the extended base plates are the problem then..

I acquired 3 full size mags for a P-14 converted to P18-9 configuration. All three have a +2 floor plate. I bought them that way. One mag will give me a stall at bottom of feed ramp, FTF malfunction once in a blue moon. The springs are extra power except for standard floor plates.

So I am seeking out extra power +2 springs and will tune the feedlips.

The shorter guns are feeding monsters so the mag spring strength and slide timing are critical. No doubt I would start with mag springs in the P10-40 - especially because of the higher slide velocity. You may try an EGW flat bottom firing pin stop to chill the slide speed a little, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom