• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have no issue with identifying bad people who became LEOs. I have personally helped to get rid of more than a few from the ranks in my time.

But, please show me the thread after thread after thread on this forum, wherein there are so many disparaging generalized comments about fearing doctors.

The all inclusive comments against police on this forum are ridiculous. Fear is a great motivator. And it is thick around here. It serves none of us well.
    You’re kidding, right? You didn’t see that in any of the Wu-flu threads? Did you see the Viking funeral clandestine gave our friendship?

Cops are in a unique position. The good ones are gold. The bad can ruin your life. I don’t advocate rudeness (unless returning rudeness, I expect courtesy in interactions). I just advocate limiting interactions with the Fuzz to only what is necessary. I expect the good cops to understand that it’s nothing personal, just playing CYA.

Some of you guys fish way too hard. Got pulled over for a brake light out a few years ago. MDTA trooper started off being a dick with his hand on his holster. Presumably because of the AR sticker (conveniently exactly the silhouette of my primary rifle) or maybe my “III” sticker. He started going off on guns in the car, guns in my trunk. Not today, Junior. There is nothing illegal in the car, I don’t answer questions.

You think if I had a rifle in in get-home gear he’d have been understanding? Think I’d have gone home that evening with just a repair order? Have a good evening, Trooper, you stay safe.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Generally you get to choose the Doctor you use, you don't get to choose the police officer you have to interact with.

Talk about privilege, what about the privilege a LEO is afforded by by other LEO's?

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    You’re kidding, right? You didn’t see that in any of the Wu-flu threads? Did you see the Viking funeral clandestine gave our friendship?

Cops are in a unique position. The good ones are gold. The bad can ruin your life. I don’t advocate rudeness (unless returning rudeness, I expect courtesy in interactions). I just advocate limiting interactions with the Fuzz to only what is necessary. I expect the good cops to understand that it’s nothing personal, just playing CYA.

Some of you guys fish way too hard. Got pulled over for a brake light out a few years ago. MDTA trooper started off being a dick with his hand on his holster. Presumably because of the AR sticker (conveniently exactly the silhouette of my primary rifle) or maybe my “III” sticker. He started going off on guns in the car, guns in my trunk. Not today, Junior. There is nothing illegal in the car, I don’t answer questions.

You think if I had a rifle in in get-home gear he’d have been understanding? Think I’d have gone home that evening with just a repair order? Have a good evening, Trooper, you stay safe.

I do not engage in anti doctor chatter. I certainly do not tell all of my friends to never trust one. My son and my mother are dead because of medical mistakes. And yet… I still don’t talk about how doctors can wreck your life.

I don’t see others as a collective. I see individuals. I wish others would have the same sensibilities.

My post was intended to encourage a bit of civil introspection. And maybe a reduction in the fear the police chatter. I guess that was too much.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Defending anyone because of their job is ridiculous. Lots of doctors and cops suck.

But it is important to understand the difference between the two positions.

The doctors most at of the time aren’t willing take away peoples lives and ruining them.
    Police have laws to enforce and violate folks rights knowingly against the laws.

I personally have a large amount of friends who are police and they truly are good people.
    I also have a lot of family and friends who are doctors who are good people.
    I also know some Steamfitters I would not trust ever!! And some lawyers, doctors and police I wouldn’t trust either

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I do not engage in anti doctor chatter. I certainly do not tell all of my friends to never trust one. My son and my mother are dead because of medical mistakes. And yet… I still don’t talk about how doctors can wreck your life.

I don’t see others as a collective. I see individuals. I wish others would have the same sensibilities.

My post was intended to encourage a bit of civil introspection. And maybe a reduction in the fear the police chatter. I guess that was too much.

I see individuals as well. That’s exactly why I’m wary. As a collective, I believe both doctors and LEO understand the gravity of their jobs and strive to do the best they can for the people they serve. Both jobs are service professions. The LEO I know personally are exemplary human beings all.

The individual, though. That’s the detail where the devil lies. In both jobs, ego and power can go to your head. That’s where people get hurt.

I’m not sure why this is hard to accept. I’m not wary around cops because I think they are automatically out to get me. I’m just being protective of all that I’ve worked for.

You are arguing a point this thread proves incorrect.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    The sad result of all this will be that Lt Gov Rutherford, whose ego caused the mess, will suffer no consequences from his wish to avoid contact with a polite group who might disagree with his position and policies.

Not so much an elected official, as a frustrated would-be Ruler By Divine Right.

Tough on Sgt Pope, for whom I hold no real animosity; most men are flawed, after all, and many must carry water for those whose policies they deplore.

BigCity

retired undertaker
    Oct 24, 2007
    Carroll County
    Slightly off topic, but while on book of faces (I know, I know) they give suggestions for people to befriend. One of them was Patriots Picket. I hesitated because this group does not have the letter S at the end of Patriot.

Does anyone know for sure?

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The sad result of all this will be that Lt Gov Rutherford, whose ego caused the mess, will suffer no consequences from his wish to avoid contact with a polite group who might disagree with his position and policies.

Not so much an elected official, as a frustrated would-be Ruler By Divine Right.

Tough on Sgt Pope, for whom I hold no real animosity; most men are flawed, after all, and many must carry water for those whose policies they deplore.

Oddly enough the PP didn't at the time have any issues with the Lt Governor except by association. Had he chosen to walk across the street he would have been treated like anyone else, with respect and possibly some tough questions. Sadly, his insecurities and hubris may have shredded some dopey officer's life.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Wait...Pope was a doctor, too? Or he was following doctor's orders? :shrug: I didn't realize there were doctors involved in this case, but, fine--whatever...sue them too.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Wait...Pope was a doctor, too? Or he was following doctor's orders? :shrug: I didn't realize there were doctors involved in this case, but, fine--whatever...sue them too.

Damn. We get enough BS lawsuits.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I see individuals as well. That’s exactly why I’m wary. As a collective, I believe both doctors and LEO understand the gravity of their jobs and strive to do the best they can for the people they serve. Both jobs are service professions. The LEO I know personally are exemplary human beings all.

The individual, though. That’s the detail where the devil lies. In both jobs, ego and power can go to your head. That’s where people get hurt.

I’m not sure why this is hard to accept. I’m not wary around cops because I think they are automatically out to get me. I’m just being protective of all that I’ve worked for.

You are arguing a point this thread proves incorrect.

Clearly then, you misunderstand my point. Stop thinking that I’m defending these Police. I’m NOT.

I AM damning the fear mongering of the “NEVER trust a cop!” mantra.

Encouraging fear is wrong.

Encouraging fear because of what someone can/could do, is short sighted and causes misunderstandings. Which then leads to elevated conflict.

If we are to encourage anything. Let it be understanding, open communication, situational awareness, and deescalation of fears.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    RoadDawg seems righteously defensive. For good reason. But the points he is arguing against are quite valid.

Where I work we have a number of lazy folks, incompetent folks, and power hungry folks, as well as the good folks. The bad (especially those with just a half step more authority or power) make life unpleasant sometimes for us. I've dealt with companies with arrogant and dictatorial customer service employees. Sometimes they have a monopoly and they know it. I've dealt with government employees in the past (oh God, I remember the Massachusetts DMV back before they cleaned that place up) who seemed to revel in making lives difficult. There are countless other examples, but most of them are annoyances to greater or lesser degrees.

Police on the other hand, by the very nature of the authority and station of their job, almost must be feared. Police, unlike powerhungry colleagues or jaded MVA employees, have the ability to ruin your life.

It's a tough and dangerous job, and deserving of respect. Happily, when I've needed the police they've mostly been polite, though generally not helpful (not really their fault). But there are bad apples, and opportunities for misunderstandings. To approach any interaction without a healthy level of scepticism and caution is to not understand the damage that can be done.

Again, it's a difficult job that I would not want. Most cops are probably professional and serious, and I've certainly had good interactions with some of them. But any interaction involves an imbalance of power and anyone who takes responsibility for their own well being has every reason to be suspicious of that imbalance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom