• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    So i got this DVD in the mail from the NRA. Its was the Rob Pincus Personal Defense Network (PDN) Combat Focus Shooting and Home Defense Tips

1st of all, I dont like getting sent things I dont ask for and then need to send back of I have to buy them. I have addressed that with the NRA already.

Next, I did watch the DVD before sending it back. While it had some good information the concepts where not presented in a logical order, terms where used that never got defined, and even presenter, Mr. Pincus, did some things as he shot the drills not in line with his teaching.

With some more thought to the presentation this could be a very good DVD for someone already familiar with pistols and shooting, however most was advanced past the basic "go to the range every so often" crowd. I also dont think there is any substitute for in person training. While the DVD is nice having someone in person help you with basics and keeping an eye on your bad habits is invaluable.

You guys who have seen my posts before know why I sound like a teacher. I dont understand why guys/groups dont enlist the help of educators when creating educational materials. I am sure many educators, I for one, would be happy to help align material presentations with cognitive traits and student outcomes with concepts delivery and assessments of understanding. (Hows that for some teacher mumbo jumbo) SARCASM!!!

With this whole HQL thing coming up in Maryland I hope a group of instructors can, or already are,getting together to create a class to fulfill the requirement. And I REALLY hope they include an educator.

Ok, Im done. If anyone else got this DVD lets hear your thoughts.
    TD

Last edited:

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    I got that same dvd. They sent 3 or 4 letters encouraging me to go ahead and pay or send it back, but in every letter it also says "Service Guarantee:You are under no obligation to participate in the program, because you didn't order the DVD, you don't have to participate or send it back and can consider it as a free gift." So I kept it, didn't pay for it, and haven't heard another word from them, or received any additional dvd's.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Alas , I haven't received said DVD , and I have recently been wishing to gain a better understanding of Combat Focus if only for research purposes.

Yes , shooting skills beyond " how to not shoot yoirself in the foot " are generally best tought in person. Only partly for the studend to better understand , but most importantly for a skilled instructor to give analysis , feedback , and further options about things the student might not realize that they didn't know.

That said , I have succuesfully learned some techniques from a book, as verified later by the origionator in person. Of my fellow students at the time , they had all read it , but about 80% admitted they didn't really get it until in person instruction.

I am sure Mrm Miles71 is a fine person and upstanding guy. But if in real life I ever heard anyone actually say with a strieght face " material presentations with cognative traits and student outcomes with concepts delivery and assesments of understanding " , what I would interpet is : * this guy has absolutely no clue about the actual subject, and is attempting to cover that up. Not only should I ignore anything else they ever say , but it would be a safe bet to do the opposite *

Daiuy

May 31, 2013
    I too received the dvd's and as I do with all unsolicited offers, I threw it in the trash without reading it. Then the letters started coming requesting either payment or the return. I was told that unsolicited products sent without your consent could be disposed of without payment or regret. That was my position until I also noticed the disclaimer. Now if they would just stop sending the letters!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    They'll stop sending the letters. I think I received 4 of them, though as noted, you're under no obligation to either pay for the DVD OR return the product. I did neither. Went through this 2 years or so ago, and am surprised to hear that it's still an issue. NRA is/should be better than to be associated with this sort of marketing.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Also got the DVD and just tossed it. They've stopped sending letters.

Whether its tying your shoes, calculus, or learning to drive a car, everything can be learned faster/better w/ better instruction. 1:1 from a QUALITY instructor is usually best. But they can also all be learned by a book. Much can even be stumbled through without even that. Some people also need different teaching approaches. I can quickly grasp concept I read. Some can't. So DVDs could help people gain a working knowledge/fundamentals before taking a 1:1 class (or even getting them interested enough to take a class.) I wouldn't recommend anyone go to Skip Barber Racing school if they had never driven a car around a track.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I am sure Mrm Miles71 is a fine person and upstanding guy. But if in real life I ever heard anyone actually say with a strieght face " material presentations with cognative traits and student outcomes with concepts delivery and assesments of understanding " , what I would interpet is : * this guy has absolutely no clue about the actual subject, and is attempting to cover that up. Not only should I ignore anything else they ever say , but it would be a safe bet to do the opposite *

Sorry dude, I thought the "mumbo jumbo" footnote was enough to show my sarcasm. I assure you it wasn't typed with a straight face. We hear this type crap in education all the time, and we also usually ignore them.

After reading my post again I can see your point.

TD

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Cool , I thought it was tongue in cheek.

Hey all you guys throwing away the DVD , throw one my way , or bring to Del Mike's BBQ .

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Cool , I thought it was tongue in cheek.

Hey all you guys throwing away the DVD , throw one my way , or bring to Del Mike's BBQ .

****I actually liked the DVD and thought it was well done. I agree that personal instruction from a qualified instructor would be ideal but some people do well learning terminology and theory from a DVD and perhaps practicing some of those skills once the opportunity presents itself.

I have almost all of the DVD's available and my cool NRA coin collection (you get a special coin for every DVD you get. I even got the felt liner thing to hold all of the coins. Those long Winter nights will just sail on by as I watch these DVD's.

I saw Rob Pincus recently and that guy has really aged compared to whenever the DVD's were produced. I guess some of the material was recorded a few years back. The Advanced Pistol Handling DVD is actually pretty good as well as the Defensive Firearm Use in Public DVD if you have your CCW (you prob don't have one in MD... but if you have Utah, etc.. and travel..the information and scenario stuff definitely reinforces classroom instruction you got for the CCW)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to my next coin and DVD whenever it shows up. I'll probably just give away the coin set and presentation stuff for good karma once I post more on my favorite threads...

MDNavyVet

Mar 25, 2013
    PG County
    I too received the video. I sent it back and checked the block that asked not to be sent anymore. I'll wait to see if that happens or not.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Watched the first one just to see if anything of value could be gained from it.

Went to mail it back, saw the disclaimer. It's still in the return envelope in a filing bin somewhere around the house.

Got a few letters asking for payment/return, dismissed those. Haven't gotten anything since.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Why does the NRA waste money on sending this crap out?

Because the marketing people say it works; it brings in a lot of money for the NRA.

I had the same issue with the NRA, and after repeatedly trying to contact them; and every time someone mentioned the NRA I would mostly talk about how they bombard you with solicitations and tricky advertising, bordering on scams. I would forward my emails/posts to the NRA, each time asking them to contact me. It was obvious the only thing they wanted from me was my money.

Then one day I got an urgent phone call; apparently someone in the NRA decided to actually read my emails and respond. The phone call I got was very serious and apologetic; they put me on the 'opt out' list and said it might be a few weeks before all of their associates stopped sending me adverts. Ever since then I've only received the NRA magazine and the rare but genuine letter from the NRA. I say, no harm no foul; at least they had the integrity to admit what was going on and they made it right. I'm once again proud to say I'm an NRA Life Member.

Go to their website, click on privacy, and Opt out: http://home.nra.org/home/document/privacy-policy

Opt Out
    We also use your membership information to send you notices in the mail or by email about special member benefits, discounts and offers. If you do not wish to receive these mailings, you can: (1) opt out of email lists immediately by following the instructions at the bottom of the email; (2) email us using our Contact Us page, (3) call us at 1-800-672-3888; or (4) write to us at National Rifle Association of America, 11250 Waples Mill Road; Fairfax, VA 22030.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom