• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoKKboXXer

Feb 27, 2013
    Catonsville
    Not sure if this is the correct place for this thread but here goes. I am a new father and took my boy to the pediatrician for a routine checkup. The nurse asked some routine questions at first then it took a weird turn. Nurse asked if i had any guns in the house. Unsure how to respond, i hesitated. Then she aked again and i asked why she need to know. The answer was we have to make sure the child is safe. I didnt aswer with a yes or no, but i responded the child is very safe, thanks for asking. Then she took a different approach and asked if i had a gun safe andthen started prying into how many and what types of guns were in the house. Has anyone ever heard of this? I felt like i was being interogated. Is this part of the new obamacare system? I asked a few of my friends and they have never been asked these questions.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    Not everyone is out to get you.
    It's a simple question that has a simple answer. Yes or no
    By the time the doc or nurse leaves that room they could give a rats ass about you or your child. It's not Obama it's not a conspiracy. They just want to know if the guns are secure.
    Just like do you wear seatbelts is there an approved car seat.
    Do you have all poisons locked.
    Breath let it go.... It's just a question

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    Find a new pediatrician.

You were very cordial. I wouldn't have been. Some people need to be told to mind their own GD business.

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    By the time the doc or nurse leaves that room they could give a rats ass about you or your child. It's not Obama it's not a conspiracy. They just want to know if the guns are secure.

A simple question does not include a follow up to find out the number and type of guns. Thy may not be "out to get you" but those details are none of their business.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

This. A lot of docs just get the standard forms. They all have that on it. Then they have a medical assistant fresh from the Medix school asking the questions. She never gave it much thought, but figures the question is there as a matter of safety.

Nobody who doesn't own a gun has ever questioned why they ask. If you give them a hard time, they now know you have a gun. I have said this a hundred times......if someone asks if you have a gun, just answer "no". Problem solved. Now let them listen to the heart and lungs, give some vaccines, and then you can go to the range.

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    This. A lot of docs just get the standard forms. They all have that on it. Then they have a medical assistant fresh from the Medix school asking the questions. She never gave it much thought, but figures the question is there as a matter of safety.

Nobody who doesn't own a gun has ever questioned why they ask. If you give them a hard time, they now know you have a gun. I have said this a hundred times......if someone asks if you have a gun, just answer "no". Problem solved. Now let them listen to the heart and lungs, give some vaccines, and then you can go to the range.

+1 Agreed but nix on some of the vaccines too...too many too soon and some not really necessary. Another battle to fight another day.

EvilOlive

Salty Marine
    Dec 13, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I must say... I did not expect this thread to go in this direction. Sometimes this board shows the polarization of our group, which I suppose is to be expected since we are all here because we share the trait of being firearms enthusiasts, so it's nice to see some balanced, healthy, disagreement.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I believe the Academy of Pediatrics has a standard they ask of their practitioners and one of them is to address safety issues. Lately that has included guns, but also includes poisons, household cleaners, swimming pools, stranger danger and the like.

I have no problem with the initial question, but after the question is answered with a

1. I prefer not to answer that question, or
    2. That's none of your business, or
    3. Don't worry, I keep any dangerous objects in my house safely secured from children

or similar answers, I do have a problem with the nurse or assistant continuing the line of questioning/probing. At that point in time, the questions should end and if the nurse/assistant is unsatisfied or concerned with any answers, those concerns should be brought up to the Pediatrician to be addressed directly to you (again, likely very briefly).

They may have to ask as part of a Pediatrician's practice standards, but you are not required nor are you to be pressured, to respond. IMHO as a healthcare provider

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Whenever a doctor asks me if I have any guns in my house, I ask them if they have anal sex with their spouse. Usually causes a shock, but after they get over it, I tell them "well now that we're getting personal...". Usually ends the conversation.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Whenever a doctor asks me if I have any guns in my house, I ask them if they have anal sex with their spouse. Usually causes a shock, but after they get over it, I tell them "well now that we're getting personal...". Usually ends the conversation.

I don't ask about guns. I do ask if you have anal sex with your wife. It's a health issue. :rolleyes:

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

I don't ask about guns. I do ask if you have anal sex with your wife. It's a health issue. :rolleyes:

I can see where anal sex with someone ELSE'S wife could become a safety issue.:innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom