• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    Can they get a temporary Maryland ccw permit while visiting or travelling through Maryland?

Thanks,
    Tony

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Never heard of such a thing. MD doesn't recognize any other states carry permit so no way are they going to issue a temporary permit just because someone is going to travel here. I have both a Pa ccw and a Md permit to carry and I've never heard of any kind of temporary permit for either state.

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    That is what I thought.
    I did not see the card but was told by a reliable source that she was shown the card issued from Maryland to a Pennsylvania ccw permit holder while visiting her.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Was the person an elected official or some other vip? Md requires 16 hrs of training every 3 years to renew and it takes almost 3 months to get your new permit. Even then most get restrictions put on their Md permit.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    That is what I thought.
    I did not see the card but was told by a reliable source that she was shown the card issued from Maryland to a Pennsylvania ccw permit holder while visiting her.
    Sorry for the not so good news but your source just became less than reliable.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I have a similar situation but in reverse. We live in Maryland, but we have a significant business interest in Pennsylvania and pay PA taxes. We travel there often on business and to visit family. Pennsylvania would gladly issue me a non-resident permit if only I could produce a permit issued by my home state of Maryland. Of course while MSP will issue permits to Maryland business owners, it apparently couldn't care less about our Pennsylvania business. It's a pretty good incentive just to move to PA (taking our taxable income and property taxes with us) if I don't get a MD permit soon.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    At least pre- 10/01/13 there was such thing as expedited issue for people who " really, really needed protection" . In practice that seemed to apply only to a handful of politicians. Unknown how that would work in light of the post 10/13 training requirements.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    At least pre- 10/01/13 there was such thing as expedited issue for people who " really, really needed protection" . In practice that seemed to apply only to a handful of politicians. Unknown how that would work in light of the post 10/13 training requirements.
    There doesn't seem to be any legal exception post 10/1/13. I'd bet the connected get illegal waivers.

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    Sorry for the not so good news but your source just became less than reliable.

Source is very reliable and has no interest in the matter at hand. The visitor that produced the card is not and actually used to be in the printing industry for many years. My thoughts are leaning in another direction.

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    I have a similar situation but in reverse. We live in Maryland, but we have a significant business interest in Pennsylvania and pay PA taxes. We travel there often on business and to visit family. Pennsylvania would gladly issue me a non-resident permit if only I could produce a permit issued by my home state of Maryland. Of course while MSP will issue permits to Maryland business owners, it apparently couldn't care less about our Pennsylvania business. It's a pretty good incentive just to move to PA (taking our taxable income and property taxes with us) if I don't get a MD permit soon.

Just shows how silly the law is on guns. They are OK with you bringing your hard earned Pennsylvania dollars freely back to Maryland.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    What sucks about PA, they won't honor non resident permits. At least the ones I have.

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    The thing that gets me is that the person from PA didn't need to even let the other person know they were carrying.
    Stupid

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    They still honor Texas.

Yes, so if I want to fly to Texas for a day or two and get a Texas non-resident permit PA will accept it under their reciprocal agreement w/Texas, but it wouldn't be a permit from my home state so PA still wouldn't issue me a non-resident permit.

So PA won't issue me a permit because Maryland won't, but PA would honor a Texas permit even though I am not a resident of Texas. Truly asinine.

The 2A is supposed to be a Constitutional protection. I can't believe I am going to say this, but to the extent the 2A can be permissibly infringed upon those infringements at least ought to be uniformly applied. I am tired of feeling like a Leper because I was born in Merrylandistan. :mad54:

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    That is what I thought.

I have a house in PA and one in MD.. I could show a card as well.
    All handgun permits in MD are temporary... Some for 2 years, some for three.

JOESTEELER

Jul 23, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    I always harken back to the incident with the gentleman from Florida who was put over by the TOLL police. Remember Maryland county jail is a lot nicer than Baltimore city jail. I'm just saying.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You're not being infringed upon for being born in Maryland. You're being infringed upon for remaining here.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    You're not being infringed upon for being born in Maryland. You're being infringed upon for remaining here.

I suppose you are right. When I was born I could have carried in my diaper legally. :lol2: I use to travel a lot for work, long stays out of state where I could carry, and if I knew then what I know now about Maryland I probably should have never come home. I hope things change in the next few months or its going to become a lot easier to join the exodus and leave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom