• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    Anyone here have any experience i want a cheap scope to start out with and i found a great deal on a pentax game seeker II 4-12x40. Just until funds get better then i plan to order a nikon prostaff 4-12x40. Any info would be great. I hear they make most of the glass used by burris. Or any other suggestions for around the $100 mark just want for hunting/plinking on my .308 ruger american.
    Or would a bushnell banner 4-12 be any better i have no experience with either but they are similar price ranges.
    Or how about simmons pro sport they seem to have decent reviews.

Last edited:

Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    bought one a couple of years ago to put on a Remington model 7 predator. At the time it was the only scope I could find with Mossy Oak brush camo to match the rifle. Have not had any issues with it. Use it when calling predators, ground hogs, and the occasional deer. Clear glass, IMO good scope for the money. Also check on Swift brand scopes, I find some very good deals on ebay for these, probably due to not being well known for making rifle scopes, IMO as good leupold.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Anyone here have any experience i want a cheap scope to start out with and i found a great deal on a pentax game seeker II 4-12x40. Just until funds get better then i plan to order a nikon prostaff 4-12x40. Any info would be great. I hear they make most of the glass used by burris. Or any other suggestions for around the $100 mark just want for hunting/plinking on my .308 ruger american.
    Or would a bushnell banner 4-12 be any better i have no experience with either but they are similar price ranges.
    Or how about simmons pro sport they seem to have decent reviews.
    When it comes to optics Nikon and Pentax are pretty equal. However all their optics are built to a price point. Anything either one makes will outperfrom just about any scope their price and lower. Pentax does not do high end scopes but even still their glass is about as good as you can get for your dollars. They do make hi-end spotting scopes, including some of the highest rated ones.

Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    Hmm. I want a nikon just funds will not allow that right now. The banner dusk and dawn has the best reciews of the 3 i am looking at so i may go with that.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I got a Pentax PF-80ED-A for Christmas. So far, I use it with telescope eyepieces that I already had. No complaints. It's crystal clear with no noticeable distortion or focusing problems, unlike a few low-priced scopes I wasted my money on prior.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Don't waste your money.

High end Pentax scopes have a good reputation but the bargain ones are just sh|t. I bought one several years ago after one and only one outing the recticle came loose. This was on a .22 LR. I thought, no problem, it's under warranty. Well, I had to ship it back to them on my dime plus a service fee of $10 or so to ship it back. Months later I got a message from them saying that they were having trouble getting parts and it would be longer. About 6 months later the box finally showed up but I just set it aside because by that time I had purchased something else to replace it. When I finally got around to opening it I discovered that the scope they sent me back was bent as if someone had dropped it on a rifle. Clearly not mine but I couldn't prove it because they weren't serial numbered.

Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    Any views on the banner? I read a lot of decent reviews but first hands from locals make me feel better! It will be the banner 4-12x40.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Any views on the banner? I read a lot of decent reviews but first hands from locals make me feel better! It will be the banner 4-12x40.

I'm just not a fan of cheap scopes period. I had a Simmons BP scope go bad and cheap Bushnells. It's better just to save the $100 bucks and put it towards a better scope.

rob b

c@r collecting
    I have the same scope you asked about
    on my 22 mag it isnt bad optics wise but the eye relief is short
    so far it has held up fine

Attachments

• marlin 22m 002.jpg
      marlin 22m 002.jpg
      78.6 KB · Views: 44
    Last edited:

Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    So i said screw it i found the prostaff 4-12 with the bdc reticle for $182 and i got it on my bill me later with 6 months no interest so i got plenty of time to pay it! Cant wait to get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom