• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Just had to post the picture. Apparently it can be yours for $8500.

Attachments

• Persian artillery Luger.jpg
      Persian artillery Luger.jpg
      25.2 KB · Views: 478

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Rare bird and if everything is there its probably worth that easily. Persian contract stuff can go for a lot of money.

Jul 1, 2012
    Yes (the listing also says that). It also says it's import-marked, so there's that...

ATF 5300-11, Section III (NFA moved to C&R):
    "Luger, Persian (Iranian) Artillery model, pistols, as mfd. by Mauser prior to 1945, accompanied by the original artillery type, detachable wooden shoulder stock, bearing a S/N in Farsi characters stamped into the wood on the left side."

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    It also says it's import-marked, so there's that...

/QUOTE]

Do you have a useful rule of thumb for price offset due to import marks?

Would it vary because of rarity, either absolute or merely because few in US are unmarked, or by price level?

Jul 1, 2012
    Marks like Simpson puts on their pistols (on the edge of the mag well) aren't as bad as the visible ones value-wise. For instance, the PW Arms and CAI huge billboards are the kiss of death, probably 50% hit IMHO. It sounds like the Edelweiss marks may be small like Simpson. Usually the more rare and/or collectible it is, the more an import mark hurts. The Dr. Sturgess collection (mostly Lugers & P.38's) that Simpson imported all got import marked, and it didn't seem to hurt the value much - and there were some super-rare guns in there. But those had provenance so to speak, and Simpson made the import marks as small and discrete as possible. For this Persian Luger, it's a tough call... if it's on the edge of the mag-well it wouldn't bother me too much, but if it's stamped on the barrel or frame etc then it would be problematic.

A lot of words for no real answer :) Like you say it really is situation-dependent.

Sometimes you have no choice, for instance the Portuguese P.38 contract pistols. These all came into the US mixed in with a big batch of standard P.38's, and CAI put their drunk-monkey marks on the slide without realizing what they were and how rare they are. There were less than 100 of them imported, and they all got the stinky mark. They were also fairly rough, and still sold around $1k which was about 2-3 times what a standard post-war P.38 did at the time. They're still in the $800-900 range, but haven't increased in value like other P.38's have. The worst part to me is the import mark is right next to the Portuguese crest on the slide and really detracts. But it's the only choice if you want one.

Same with the Norwegian P.38's, not very many in the US and every one I've seen is import-marked. But Simpson brought most of them in, and put the mark on the edge of the mag-well.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      69.7 KB · Views: 329
    • 8 - Copy.JPG
      8 - Copy.JPG
      33.1 KB · Views: 324

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Just had to post the picture. Apparently it can be yours for $8500.

I have a very good Persian friend and gun enthusiast I just sent the link to. His reply? “Damn you!!”

If you want it, hurry.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    I have a very good Persian friend and gun enthusiast I just sent the link to. His reply? “Damn you!!”

If you want it, hurry.

I copy your Persian friends sentiments!:D:D:D

That's a nice piece but I have a lot going on; prudence tells me to defer.

Some of the photos look a bit off to me. For that price I'd like to get eyes on.
    Nothing against the vendor; likely my eyes.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I copy your Persian friends sentiments!:D:D:D

That's a nice piece but I have a lot going on; prudence tells me to defer.

Some of the photos look a bit off to me. For that price I'd like to get eyes on.
    Nothing against the vendor; likely my eyes.

I’ll pass on your sentiments.
    I know nothing on this topic.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

If you want it, hurry.

Thanks for the heads-up, but I only posted it for the cool factor. I'm saving myself for a Webley-Fosbery which I'll probably never get around to buying anyway.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks for the heads-up, but I only posted it for the cool factor. I'm saving myself for a Webley-Fosbery which I'll probably never get around to buying anyway.

Appreciate the posting. No BS; there is a lot of cool stuff out there on the market but I can only see what I see.

I've never heard of that FFL but it appears they have a niche market.

GD it I have the monkey on my back now!:D:D:D

Jul 1, 2012
    Just poking thru the pics, I don't see their company importer mark (maybe in the magwell or the shadows under barrel?) but there are extra marks on both the frame and barrel... not very discrete IMHO. There aren't many of these laying around though (only 1000 made originally). These marks would annoy me, but maybe fine for someone else. Found 3 others with no import marks that sold all right around $7k (one with matching stock) but those listings were a few years old - Legacy & pre98.

Attachments

• luger.JPG
      luger.JPG
      21.3 KB · Views: 141

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    There's a rare .38 Webley-Fosbery up for auction with a $18K-28K estimate and a $15K start price. Yikes! Me, I want the one that shot Miles. Maybe still sitting an a Hollywood prop room?
    On the tangent about import marks, definitely matters with rarity of the item and size/location of the mark as variables. That French Navy MAB D that I just got has one of the earlier small CAI import marks and the std country of manuf mark required at that time. Didn't phase me as the question of "when will I see another of these again?" was quickly answered with probably never since I only know of one other (owned by uber collector Mark of site P38guns.com). Do you want it bad enough to live with the import mark?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    There's a rare .38 Webley-Fosbery up for auction with a $18K-28K estimate and a $15K start price. Yikes! Me, I want the one that shot Miles. Maybe still sitting an a Hollywood prop room?
    On the tangent about import marks, definitely matters with rarity of the item and size/location of the mark as variables. That French Navy MAB D that I just got has one of the earlier small CAI import marks and the std country of manuf mark required at that time. Didn't phase me as the question of "when will I see another of these again?" was quickly answered with probably never since I only know of one other (owned by uber collector Mark of site P38guns.com). Do you want it bad enough to live with the import mark?

Yeah, the 38 cal Fosberys are truly rare, and beyond my reach. I'd refer the .455 anyway, and even they are far from cheap. At least Miles was croaked with a piece whose fame outlived him. (Did they use the 38 W-F in the movie?)

There seem to be a number of variants, and I have no pertinent info on them at this time, so it's tough to evaluate what's available or what to look out for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom