Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    barrage.jpg

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    The Wall Street Journal has an interesting article on drones today. They also state that there was a 1946 Supreme Court ruling, in a case involving North Carolina chicken farmers angry about flights overhead, that landowners have “exclusive control over the immediate reaches” above their land.

WSJ Article (click the first link in this google search)

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Time to mount something on my new helicopter, for ... prototypical testing. :innocent0

Attachments

• BLH2000_b0.jpg
      BLH2000_b0.jpg
      35.2 KB · Views: 392

Turbohugh

Squib..
    Jan 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    99.999% of the people who fly quadcopters aren't trying to see your wife naked. They're just fun toys.

If you REALLY think someone is playing Peeping Tom with one, get one of your own, learn to fly it, and drop leaflets all over his property telling him to knock it off.

FWIW, check out the latest awesome aspect of this hobby... FPV quadcopter racing:

Thats really cool.> Gonna have to try it with my Hubsan..

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    For the sake of argument, suppose a drone lands on your property either by accident or by intention? Common civility aside what are the legal rights of the drone owner? Can a landing fee be charged same as an airport? Depositing lead (from shooting) on another's property is considered trespass. Would trespass apply to apply to a drone?

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    For the sake of argument, suppose a drone lands on your property either by accident or by intention? Common civility aside what are the legal rights of the drone owner? Can a landing fee be charged same as an airport? Depositing lead (from shooting) on another's property is considered trespass. Would trespass apply to apply to a drone?

IMO it would have to depend on who the operator is. I'd say trespassing would apply but if it's a friendly neighbor I wouldn't be upset. Some known douche, I'd say squash it. And let's not play the kids and ball BS. It's 2 totally different things. Anyone who pops kids beach balls or keeps their base balls IS a dick.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    IMO it would have to depend on who the operator is. I'd say trespassing would apply but if it's a friendly neighbor I wouldn't be upset. Some known douche, I'd say squash it. And let's not play the kids and ball BS. It's 2 totally different things. Anyone who pops kids beach balls or keeps their base balls IS a dick.

It really isn't different from a neighbor's ball landing in your yard, and unless it gets to be an absurdly frequent thing, trying to keep or damage ANY of your neighbor's stuff that lands in your yard is a dick move. If you destroy one operating "lawfully" that landed on your property, it is at least a civil matter, possibly criminal depending on the circumstances and could be a federal FAA test case for some recent changes. The person flying it is responsible for any injuries or damage to the neighbor's property caused by a crash,provided the neighbor didn't intentionally cause the crash in the first place. You can't defeat a barrier to enter someone's property to retrieve a crashed RC aircraft, and have to leave if ordered off the property, but call the police, and they will go with you to retrieve it. Doesn't happen a lot around the RC clubs I've been involved with, but it has happened. The worst at one club up here involved a neighbor refusing to return a large airplane that lost control, crashed some distance away, and caused some damage. Ended with officers threatening to arrest and charge for theft, property owner settled for a police report documenting the damage, the plane was returned, and an AMA damage claim was filed to fix the neighbor's property.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    It really isn't different from a neighbor's ball landing in your yard, and unless it gets to be an absurdly frequent thing, trying to keep or damage ANY of your neighbor's stuff that lands in your yard is a dick move. If you destroy one operating "lawfully" that landed on your property, it is at least a civil matter, possibly criminal depending on the circumstances and could be a federal FAA test case for some recent changes. The person flying it is responsible for any injuries or damage to the neighbor's property caused by a crash,provided the neighbor didn't intentionally cause the crash in the first place. You can't defeat a barrier to enter someone's property to retrieve a crashed RC aircraft, and have to leave if ordered off the property, but call the police, and they will go with you to retrieve it. Doesn't happen a lot around the RC clubs I've been involved with, but it has happened. The worst at one club up here involved a neighbor refusing to return a large airplane that lost control, crashed some distance away, and caused some damage. Ended with officers threatening to arrest and charge for theft, property owner settled for a police report documenting the damage, the plane was returned, and an AMA damage claim was filed to fix the neighbor's property.

The worst at one club up here involved a neighbor refusing to return a large airplane that lost control, crashed some distance away, and caused some damage.

So recklessly flying something over someone's property that could have caused bodily injury is OK with PA police and the douche flying it? Interesting.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The worst at one club up here involved a neighbor refusing to return a large airplane that lost control, crashed some distance away, and caused some damage.

So recklessly flying something over someone's property that could have caused bodily injury is OK with PA police and the douche flying it? Interesting.

Plane was flown over club property, RF control link was lost, plane didn't respond and went about 1/4 mile before it crashed through a fence. Really nothing douchy about it, guy went to the house, apologized, offered to pay to fix the fence right away, homeowner told him to F-off, he was keeping the plane, then the homeowner called the cops. Not a regular occurrence by any means it was the worst accident over about a 10 year span at 3 active clubs. Owning a patch of property doesn't give you the right to keep or destroy whatever lands on it, the RC operator has a right to retrieve their stuff, if they were legally negligent, then the police might keep the wreck as evidence and file charges, but even still, the homeowner has no right to other people's stuff.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD

The drone's owner is entitled to reclaim the 109 pieces of his former drone.

Lew--Ranger63

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Still a drone, some assembly required. But a landing would be fine by me. I would let them get it, or I would give it back.

Creepy loitering near windows, would have consequences.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Cheap kamikaze drone............

Drone kills drone or for the authorities unfortunate hobbyist mid-air collision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom