• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    PG County Schools Propose Armed Police in Schools

School leaders in Prince George’s County proposed the creation of a new school police force Thursday, saying that the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut “changed school security the way 9/11 changed travel.”

I can't believe the Washington Post is publishing this: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...36-3d8d9dcaa2e2_story.html?wprss=rss_national

It kinda sounds like the public supports the NRA's stance to give people guns in 'gun free' school zones so that they at least have something to protect themselves with against the rare and random nut job.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    They already have school resource officers and have had them for at least the last 13-15 years, if not longer.

My last school had 1.5 officers assigned as well as a group of unarmed security personnel, some of whom had arrest powers.

Samuel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 12, 2012
    The difference of course is that in PG county they want more police, or a whole new government agency. A step in the right direction for school security maybe but not for 2A rights for the serf class.

Mavourneen

Lover of Walthers
    Feb 7, 2013
    Silver Spring-ish
    My son's school has several resource officers, some of whom are former Marines or LEOs. I think resource officers are most common in HS and middle school right now. Less so in elementary schools.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    The PG county sheriff has jurisdiction in the public schools. The shooting mostly happen down the street from the schools.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    The PG county sheriff has jurisdiction in the public schools. The shooting mostly happen down the street from the schools.

Pg police are in the high schools. Sheriffs are not

It depends on the school and whether they are in an incorporated jurisdiction or not. Ours were Greenbelt.

PharaohF4

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2010
    Do resource officers carry a gun? I remember Fort Meade HS had cops around but not sure if that was because someone was always in trouble or they were stationed at the school. This was 13 years ago though. Not sure uf they were considered resource officers

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Back when I went to school in the early 90's the school have armed police officers in the school. And the taught a program called D.A.R.E. It's was about don't drink and drive, don't do drugs, don't steal and so on.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Shouldn't SRO's already have guns? I don't like the idea of a school police force, I'd prefer one officer permanently assigned to one (or several) schools. That way he'll get to know the kids, be a positive role model, be intimately familiar with the security situation, etc. A school police force sounds like "Hey you! Pick up that can."

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    New for this year, the deputies are replaced by county. The way it once was. I believe it is across the board. Not all schools have the SROs. I think that is next up.. total coverage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom