Picked up another Finnish M24 (pic heavy)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    The brief backstory behind these rifles was that by the early 20's the M91's the Finns had were not in great shape, and they could not produce a sufficient amount of barrels domestically. So, the Civil Guard contracted SIG in Switzerland and a number of German companies to make barrels for them. The barrels are high-quality and are thicker than the original Russian design to improve accuracy. .

This one is a Bohler-Stahl that was likely made in 1926 based on the 26k serial number (roughly 27k total produced). One interesting feature is that this one has a barrel that was shortened and rechambered to correct the throat of the barrel at the arsenal. This is evident by the "Christmas tree" stamped on the shank. The "36s00" shows that a pressure test was performed at SAKO after the barrel work was performed. If you look at picture 3 in the next post, you can see that the shortened barrel doesn't match up with the stock cutout. You can also see that the original Russian sight was cut off and a Finnish U notch rear sight was installed.

Another cool feature is that this one has, as far as anyone can tell, its original stock. This one has an SYT in a circle which gives it some Civil Guard connection. The vast majority that I have seen have army replacement stocks because they saw such heavy use. The bore was another pleasant surprise, it is not counterbored and it has strong, shiny rifling. In the last picture you can also see that there's a ton of Finnish dirt, sand, and pine stuff stuck to the metal.
    zHyGSiS.jpg

wQD9CpL.jpg

taQRyHz.jpg

y25Fv9s.jpg

DIo9Yox.jpg

RSbCJ7T.jpg

WaQcZQf.jpg

QlO3b2w.jpg

Last edited:

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Looks great. I've yet to add a M24 to my Finn collection but it's probably about time I start looking for one. Might take me a while though.

Thanks. You should pick one up when you have the chance. I think every Finnish collection should have one. I'd love to find a SIG, but I've never seen one for sale in the wild.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Gorgeous rifle in the exact condition I love to see :thumbsup:

I've only seen a handful of rifles with the SYT on the butt stock, so make sure to keep that one!

Was this an auction, local, or gun forum type classifieds buy?

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Gorgeous rifle in the exact condition I love to see :thumbsup:

I've only seen a handful of rifles with the SYT on the butt stock, so make sure to keep that one!

Was this an auction, local, or gun forum type classifieds buy?

Classifieds buy. I asked for additional pics from the seller and when I saw the SYT mark that pretty much sealed the deal for me.

Oh, about the Christmas tree thing, here's a pic of my other M24. It has the mark but the barrel is not shortened.
    nzXlHaO.jpg

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Classifieds buy. I asked for additional pics from the seller and when I saw the SYT mark that pretty much sealed the deal for me.

Oh, about the Christmas tree thing, here's a pic of my other M24. It has the mark but the barrel is not shortened.
    nzXlHaO.jpg

;)

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Thanks. You should pick one up when you have the chance. I think every Finnish collection should have one. I'd love to find a SIG, but I've never seen one for sale in the wild.

I seem to have the opposite experience. I run across three SIGs for every Bohler-Stahl. These being two of my cooler SIGs :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      76.1 KB · Views: 151

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    They are both stepped barrel SIGs. The numbering on the KLP is from that districts depot armorers. It's not the original numbering.
    The example from the NSD district is unnumbered-reason unknown.

Except for the M24rv cavalry carbine, the KLP and NSD stamped versions are the most rare types of M24s. There are around 20-25 KLP stamped M24s that I'm aware of. I can only find reference to about seven NSD stamped examples.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    They are both stepped barrel SIGs. The numbering on the KLP is from that districts depot armorers. It's not the original numbering.
    The example from the NSD district is unnumbered-reason unknown.

Except for the M24rv cavalry carbine, the KLP and NSD stamped versions are the most rare types M24s. There are around 20-25 KLP stamped M24s that I'm aware of. I can only find reference to about seven NSD stamped examples.

So you never run into the Bohler-Stahl's, huh? I'll trade ya :D

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Every time I see these Finn Mosins with the honest Patina, I kick myself for not picking up one of the ones I saw a couple years ago for about $225 each.
    Kick
    Kick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom